Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It has a different sensor, different engine, different AF system, more AF points, completely reworked ergonomics, the list goes on.

It is easier and faster to list what's the same, instead of what's changed. It amounts to a massive step, not "the same with a few changes for video".

The K-3 is the first fully Ricoh camera.
It is black, comes with an optional grip, and has buttons though.

02-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has a different sensor, different engine, different AF system, more AF points, completely reworked ergonomics, the list goes on.

It is easier and faster to list what's the same, instead of what's changed. It amounts to a massive step, not "the same with a few changes for video".

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It is black, comes with an optional grip, and has buttons though.
It has a K-mount . . . .
02-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #273
Veteran Member

Different sensor, different processor are to be expected though. Their supplier has new parts, Pentax put them in. Maybe not trivial, but more evolution than revolution. A bit like the move from K-7 to K-5. Completely reworked ergonomics? They changed the way you use AF, because they wanted to put a video switch on the camera and repurposed the one that was used for AF. It's clearly a bigger step than the K-5 II, but massive... I don't know. The AF and AA are IMHO the highlights of that camera.

This new camera though... it seems like an even bigger step up from the predecessor. New sensor, new processor (probably), WiFi, NFC, flippable screen, new AF, new design, LEDs to indicate the status, ...
02-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...... is the K-50 I just bought about to become obselite?

I thought I had done enough research but I wondered if I should wait to buy a new camera. Got the K-50 because it was cheap so I guess this won't change anything. I'm just sad that no matter what I do, any camera I get will only be new for a while.

02-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I thought I had done enough research but I wondered if I should wait to buy a new camera. Got the K-50 because it was cheap so I guess this won't change anything. I'm just sad that no matter what I do, any camera I get will only be new for a while.
It's OK, I have that feeling sometimes too. But you got the camera for a lot less money so, enjoy it !
02-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-50 was cheap because it's due to be replaced. It happens to every model. There will always be something new & improved on the way, but that just makes the older models more affordable, not obsolete. The K-50 is an excellent camera, and will be for years. I recently got a bunch of compliments on a picture I took with an *ist-DS - it was replaced ten years ago, but it can still take nice pictures.

If the new camera has the 20MP sensor, then it will have somewhat better resolution and slightly more noise at high ISO - and there will be plenty of discussion whether it really is an improvement over the K-50. I also expect to see a lot of complaints about the launch price being too high, because there are always complaints about the launch price being too high. Then, as it gets older, it will become a great value and the next new model will be priced too high...
02-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #277
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Different sensor, different processor are to be expected though. Their supplier has new parts, Pentax put them in. Maybe not trivial, but more evolution than revolution. A bit like the move from K-7 to K-5. Completely reworked ergonomics? They changed the way you use AF, because they wanted to put a video switch on the camera and repurposed the one that was used for AF. It's clearly a bigger step than the K-5 II, but massive... I don't know. The AF and AA are IMHO the highlights of that camera.

This new camera though... it seems like an even bigger step up from the predecessor. New sensor, new processor (probably), WiFi, NFC, flippable screen, new AF, new design, LEDs to indicate the status, ...
I've had several of the more recent flagship Pentax cameras and the jump from K-5ii/iis to K-3 is larger in nearly every way than the jumps prior to this in recent memory. For example, we've used the same grip from K-7 days through 4 bodies but the K-3 has a new one. Yes they kept the basic ergonomics - why wouldn't they given they are award winning and frequently commented on positively in review after review. Its a dSLR so the physical shape and placement of many items is sort of a given, but the AF processor is updated, the sensor is new, the AF points and video are updated, etc. Flippable screen and WiFi are not that big a deal compared to how the camera actually takes pictures (its purpose after all).

02-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've had several of the more recent flagship Pentax cameras and the jump from K-5ii/iis to K-3 is larger in nearly every way than the jumps prior to this in recent memory. For example, we've used the same grip from K-7 days through 4 bodies but the K-3 has a new one. Yes they kept the basic ergonomics - why wouldn't they given they are award winning and frequently commented on positively in review after review. Its a dSLR so the physical shape and placement of many items is sort of a given, but the AF processor is updated, the sensor is new, the AF points and video are updated, etc. Flippable screen and WiFi are not that big a deal compared to how the camera actually takes pictures (its purpose after all).
Makes a big difference to how the photographer takes pictures though..
02-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Makes a big difference to how the photographer takes pictures though..
Depends the kind of photography.. it could help, but i can live without it perfectly. For example the D810 is a beast of a camera, and doenst have a flip screen, same as the 5D mk3 or 2 .. at the end is all about how good the image come out, and flippable among "pros" looks like is something that doesnt come into the top priorities. But, it doesnt hurt to have it.
02-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #280
Veteran Member

Sure, that's one opinion.
02-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Depends the kind of photography.. it could help, but i can live without it perfectly. For example the D810 is a beast of a camera, and doenst have a flip screen, same as the 5D mk3 or 2 .. at the end is all about how good the image come out, and flippable among "pros" looks like is something that doesnt come into the top priorities. But, it doesnt hurt to have it.
Hm. Being able to put a camera right into a corner and to be able to compose the photo on a smartphone or a flippable screen could help me get the shot I want sometimes without having to resort to a panorama. I think for interior shooters such a feature can be quite useful.

Anyway, what I was going at was that this new camera seems to be something completely new, while the K-3 is much more evolutionary. Big step up, sure, but I think the K-70 or whatever it will be called is Ricoh going full force now. The K-3 successor could be very exciting.
02-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #282
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well maybe the K-3 successor would be a 36 mega pix with a much better noise control and without hardware issues.
02-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Well maybe the K-3 successor would be a 36 mega pix with a much better noise control and without hardware issues.
What hardware issues does the k-3 have?
02-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #284
Pentaxian

What hardware issues does the k-3 have?
Mirror. It is cured AFAIK but people will act as if this was present on every single one of them. Just as SDM illness.
02-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #285
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I hope for is that the new mid range camera is something like my K30 with an articulated screen, more megapixels and the same autofocus system as the K3. If it's that, I'll be the first to buy one. I don't really care for that wifi stuff, this is a camera, not a computer or a tablet.