Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't think of a thing they'd release I'd buy. But it's always interesting watching the threads, where everyone loses it because Pentax did something wrong.

01-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is no such thing as a Pentax company (anymore).

Pentax is a brand used for some products (interchangeable lens cameras and their lenses) designed and manufactured by Ricoh Imaging Company, Limited.

Plus, of course, all the goodwill (history, reputation, customer base and more) incorporated in said brand.
Company, division, brand.. the fact is that they never had the stability that they have now with Ricoh.. Hoya never cared about photography and even less care about getting into FF market, and that was 2007, almost the time when Nikon released their first FF.. IMO that move from Pentax Co. to Hoya ed up everything...
01-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

These are the things i think should be next:

a. A FF camera. Frankly, the DOF of FF is not important to me, but the improved low light performance is. If folks are going to buy a supplementary camera to their smart phones - then they might want to jump all the way to the FF.

b. Better wifi, tethering, remote control options. When i want to use remote control, i jump to my old Nex 6 with my smart phone - changes focus point, parameters, etc. No need for $100 flu card. Just saying...

c. Fix some old SDM lenses like the 50-135 and 16-50. Love my 50-135, but its slow focusing. Its kind of bad publicity when even some of the Pentax faithful will not recommend ANY SDM lenses. Lenses have been the biggest roadblock to Sony's A7 series, Shame on Pentax if they don't address their biggest issue with lenses.
01-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

In fact one thing that stop pro fashion/portrait photographers to not use Pentax (besides not having a FF) is the lack of tethering.. this should be something that most come with a FF.

01-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
In fact one thing that stop pro fashion/portrait photographers to not use Pentax (besides not having a FF) is the lack of tethering.. this should be something that most come with a FF.
And the other 999 things are...
01-17-2015, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
And the other 999 things are...
Its not that bad. Every brand has its problems - Canon's sensors aren't as good as other brands, Nikon - well its D600 got banned from Russia, had 2 class-action lawsuits filed over it, D800 focus point misaligned, D750 just got pulled from distribution for image flares. Sony has had problems with the lightweight mount on A7 and A7R, even lenses disengaging without locking pin operation, and is planning to redesign some of its lenses for better optical performance.

Feel better now . Its getting to the point where when one buys a DSLR/mirrorless, one should send it first to the Authorized Repair shop before unboxing it themselves.
01-25-2015, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #37

Based on conversations with my local Pentax dealer who attended CES, here is what he told me to expect. Conformation of the 70-200/2.8 and long desired FF camera with a June 2015 scheduled ship date. I would expect to see the FF to be displayed under glass and most likely a prototype. I say all of this with no personal desire for a FF at this time but putting a high degree of confidence in the reliability of my source.

01-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by River Rat Quote
Based on conversations with my local Pentax dealer who attended CES, here is what he told me to expect. Conformation of the 70-200/2.8 and long desired FF camera with a June 2015 scheduled ship date. I would expect to see the FF to be displayed under glass and most likely a prototype. I say all of this with no personal desire for a FF at this time but putting a high degree of confidence in the reliability of my source.
Sounds about right.....although I'm led to believe that it will be available in the (late) Autumn. I hope you're right though........
01-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't think of a thing they'd release I'd buy. But it's always interesting watching the threads, where everyone loses it because Pentax did something wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by River Rat Quote
I will be watching with interest if the long-awaited FF prototype shows up.... but I don't think it would be something I would buy immediately as I would rather have my k-3 for my event photos....
01-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
These are the things i think should be next:

a. A FF camera. Frankly, the DOF of FF is not important to me, but the improved low light performance is. If folks are going to buy a supplementary camera to their smart phones - then they might want to jump all the way to the FF.

b. Better wifi, tethering, remote control options. When i want to use remote control, i jump to my old Nex 6 with my smart phone - changes focus point, parameters, etc. No need for $100 flu card. Just saying...

c. Fix some old SDM lenses like the 50-135 and 16-50. Love my 50-135, but its slow focusing. Its kind of bad publicity when even some of the Pentax faithful will not recommend ANY SDM lenses. Lenses have been the biggest roadblock to Sony's A7 series, Shame on Pentax if they don't address their biggest issue with lenses.
All good points.

1) The FF camera must be accompanied by a full eco-system. 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 100-400, full range of primes: 20, 31, 43, 50, 77, 100, 135, 200, 300, 400. GPS, WiFi USB tethering, Lightroom support. Flash support with on camera controls of wireless flash (radio not light communication)

2) And the APS-C line needs the DA* glass updated with HD coatings and new in lens motors. I'm not even worried about SDM reliability, but SDM is just plain too SLOW. And whether SDM is fixed or not it's reputation is soured to the point that SDM is a detraction.
01-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
All good points.

1) The FF camera must be accompanied by a full eco-system. 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 100-400, full range of primes: 20, 31, 43, 50, 77, 100, 135, 200, 300, 400. GPS, WiFi USB tethering, Lightroom support. Flash support with on camera controls of wireless flash (radio not light communication)

2) And the APS-C line needs the DA* glass updated with HD coatings and new in lens motors. I'm not even worried about SDM reliability, but SDM is just plain too SLOW. And whether SDM is fixed or not it's reputation is soured to the point that SDM is a detraction.

Its a good thing you didn't tell Sony or Fuji this or people would still be waiting for the e-mount and x-mounts to be ready. The Fuji system is pretty close. If Pentax releases a full frame camera in the K-mount variety it will likely start out in a similar way to the 645d system. A few new lenses with older model lenses filling the gap until they update the lineup. Slow and Steady wins the race.

01-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Its a good thing you didn't tell Sony or Fuji this or people would still be waiting for the e-mount and x-mounts to be ready. The Fuji system is pretty close. If Pentax releases a full frame camera in the K-mount variety it will likely start out in a similar way to the 645d system. A few new lenses with older model lenses filling the gap until they update the lineup. Slow and Steady wins the race.
Maybe, but I think the situation is different. Sony started from zero and is filling out as they go, the same mostly for Fuji. New technology and they have the marketing to gradually build customers.

Pentax already has a lot of the pieces and can drop the whole system at one time, or at least a big part of it. And that makes them a player instantly instead of delivering a partial system that the reviewers will pan as "incomplete" and that might be enough to kill the whole thing before it gets off the ground. Sony & Fuji are no more complete but get a pass with reviewers because they are starting from zero and have big marketing budgets. And remember despite all the old FF glass there are NO FF zooms of reasonable quality available in any quantity. Lots of primes out there, but the zooms will have to be brand new. There just are not enough 28-70 and 80-200's in the wild to be of any use. And the consumer glass from that era is mediocre at best, some of it just fine on film but for digital (pro level) they need to bring their 'A' game.

I know that list looks optimistic but consider:
  • No full frame will be released without a 24-70 or similar so we know that is coming
  • There is a wide angle on the road map that might be the 14-24ish
  • They already showed the 70-200 and 100-400 lenses
  • The DA 200 and DA 300 are supposed to be FF capable already
  • They have an FA 20mm, 24mm, 35mm and 50mm that only need upgrading to DFA
  • The 31, 43, and 77 are there and Ricoh already re-did the DA Limiteds, no reason to think they would not do the same for the FA ones.
  • The 50mm and 100mm macros are already in place
  • They are testing tethering software on 645z
  • The camera shown at CES has built in WiFi
  • That leaves the 135mm and 400mm missing and the flash system and GPS to be developed
01-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe, but I think the situation is different. Sony started from zero and is filling out as they go, the same mostly for Fuji. New technology and they have the marketing to gradually build customers.

Pentax already has a lot of the pieces and can drop the whole system at one time, or at least a big part of it. And that makes them a player instantly instead of delivering a partial system that the reviewers will pan as "incomplete" and that might be enough to kill the whole thing before it gets off the ground. Sony & Fuji are no more complete but get a pass with reviewers because they are starting from zero and have big marketing budgets. And remember despite all the old FF glass there are NO FF zooms of reasonable quality available in any quantity. Lots of primes out there, but the zooms will have to be brand new. There just are not enough 28-70 and 80-200's in the wild to be of any use. And the consumer glass from that era is mediocre at best, some of it just fine on film but for digital (pro level) they need to bring their 'A' game.

I know that list looks optimistic but consider:
  • No full frame will be released without a 24-70 or similar so we know that is coming
  • There is a wide angle on the road map that might be the 14-24ish
  • They already showed the 70-200 and 100-400 lenses
  • The DA 200 and DA 300 are supposed to be FF capable already
  • They have an FA 20mm, 24mm, 35mm and 50mm that only need upgrading to DFA
  • The 31, 43, and 77 are there and Ricoh already re-did the DA Limiteds, no reason to think they would not do the same for the FA ones.
  • The 50mm and 100mm macros are already in place
  • They are testing tethering software on 645z
  • The camera shown at CES has built in WiFi
  • That leaves the 135mm and 400mm missing and the flash system and GPS to be developed
I have to completely agree. IMHO when (not if) a FF is released it must have a pretty full and current feature set ( WiFi, tethering, everything on the K3...) to be taken seriously and I expect Ricoh to make a honest effort.
Ricoh has slowly shown a effort to push the Pentax brand forward and with what they have and just a couple of additional lenses they should be able to cover the needs of most of the FF market. Ricoh has done a pretty good job of digging Pentax out of what I think was a pretty deep Hoya hole and are now pushing the market in some areas ( 645z with price, K5iis lack of AA filter, K3 simulated AA). I think the merger of the Ricoh/Pentax engineering is starting to come to fruition. There will also be IMO some of the second tier lens manufactures who will also fill in some of the gaps. There are over 6000 different lens out there and most are already full frame just waiting for a body to be mounted to.
01-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #44

All this talk is quite exciting! We'll see how it pans out but I think Ricoh is going to have an interesting year in 2015!
01-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

A jump from 14-bit to 16-bit RAW files. That's my guess.