Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 05:03 AM   #196
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,098
Nice pics.

01-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #197
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,117
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
With all my impatient FF Ladies, if no Pentax FF body announced yet again, I fear the "Kerrowdown is Doomed", once they (the Ladies) get hold of me.
Personally, I don't think Ricoh have to announce FF. What would a good take-away from CP+ be? That Ricoh are in the game, on the ball in terms of what's out there and what folks today really want, have a pipeline of great products, are already running a tight and profitable operation, and mean to kick a** as a significant long-term player in the imaging biz (since, as a corporation, Ricoh is already that in other fields). If that's the take-away then Ricoh will get support from retail operations and other businesses around the world. Soon enough, that will feed through to marketing and sales nearer where we all live. Yes, "FF" might be quote nice to have unquote, although I have little personal interest in it. But all those other things crucial to a business and how everyone else connects to it are very, very important too. We focus here on the gear, but in many ways that's only the apex of the pyramid.
01-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #198
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,870
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
With all my impatient FF Ladies, if no Pentax FF body announced yet again, I fear the "Kerrowdown is Doomed", once they (the Ladies) get hold of me.
They sound worse than Nancy Whisky
01-27-2015, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #199
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,722
I would happily stick with APS-C for the telephoto stuff, but the ability to use my FA43 and A50/1.2 as normal lenses, and my FA31 and FA*24 as proper wide angles would be AWESOME.

I (continue to) wait with (perpetually) baited breath.

01-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #200
Senior Member
afan137's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kyoto
Posts: 157
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I provide pics, i test gear in my job, i report back on things i think is working and not working, what is missing, general opinion on Pentax etc

---------- Post added 01-27-15 at 12:35 PM ----------



I will do when the time is there
That is nice, envy your jobs
01-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #201
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,117
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
I wonder why there isn't a single street photographer... also think there are great sports photogs in the community...
The emphasis among the K3 ambasssadors on that site seems to be on everyday kind of images, landscapes, outdoors and activities, quite a bit of nature/widlife, a bit of sport and grungy cityscape-type stuff of ruined old factories and the like, fireworks and gigs, quite a few gigs. There's little fashion, portraiture or highly processed, high-end wow-type stuff unless I have missed it. Street is missing but perhaps there are legal issues with it these days, at least in some countries (release forms, etc.)? Not really any kick-ass black and white either. I suppose this must all be a deliberate choice? Photographers whose pictures and activities one can relate to easily and which show off the strengths of the Ricoh/Pentax system, but which are often a step above a typical or perhaps average capture. Not that much of a step, though: there are several folks on this board who could do as well as and often better, I think. Anyway, an interesting perspective, and different from the high-power, high-vis stuff one might expect from Canonikon. Perhaps another bit of mystery from Ricoh: why this, and why in this way?
01-27-2015, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #202
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 234
I actually like the fact that most of them doesn't look (over)processed.
01-27-2015, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Perhaps another bit of mystery from Ricoh: why this, and why in this way?
So far, i have the feeling that most people just hope Pentax will say something like "we are going this way. Period."
No matter the direction, as long as they are clear. Fuji did say "we will only do APS-C" and people are fine with it.
Pentax say "we are commited to APS-C but we study FF" : which means ? Will you go FF or not ? They better say "no" once and for all. Many folks would be happy.

As some people here, i shoot film and digital, and it's a tad annoying to have two set of lens (one for APS-C the other for FF). that's why i want a FF mainly, and the big VF

01-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #204
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,267
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Perhaps another bit of mystery from Ricoh: why this, and why in this way?
Interesting. I am not in their minds, but some thoughts. First, the high end wow stuff is there in the 645z reviews and promotional stuff. Nikon and Canon seem to center their marketing on professionals using their products; the stack of large white lenses surrounding playing fields, etc. A seemingly top down with a shining icon on a hill. Maybe Ricoh plays a lower key game, something similar to what happens on this site; enthusiasts who may or may not be professional doing excellent work, presented in a way that is aspirational. I won't ever shoot an NFL game, but I can follow a wildlife photographer around or emulate them and get as good a shot as I'm willing to invest the time and skill building.

Over the short time I've been involved in this endeavor, almost everyone I've talked to who makes a living from photography loves Pentax products for the feel and joy of shooting, but are forced to use other brands for the breadth of offerings or some shortcoming in technology. I show up with my K-5 or K-3 and they want to hold it. But they shoot with something else. The big guys are in an expensive game of maintaining the buzz, huge investments in flooding the channels, etc. They do well at it, no question. It seems Ricoh/Pentax wants to go at it differently, a sort of ground up building of a market. So they show the images from gifted normal people.

Ricoh doesn't compete with Hewlett Packard or Brother for the low end laser printer sales. It doesn't seem to hurt them. If I wanted a Ricoh product for my business, I would have to hunt them down. But I run into their stuff in businesses I work for. Again, they don't seem to be hurting.
01-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #205
Senior Member
vZwicky's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chatawa, MS
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 155
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would happily stick with APS-C for the telephoto stuff, but the ability to use my FA43 and A50/1.2 as normal lenses, and my FA31 and FA*24 as proper wide angles would be AWESOME.

I (continue to) wait with (perpetually) baited breath.
Yes... There is much speculation that full frame will not arrive until new lenses are ready to accompany it. I hope there is no delay for this reason. Full frame could be released tomorrow without new glass and I'd get by just fine with a little help from my amigos.
01-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,430
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Ricoh doesn't compete with Hewlett Packard or Brother for the low end laser printer sales. It doesn't seem to hurt them. If I wanted a Ricoh product for my business, I would have to hunt them down. But I run into their stuff in businesses I work for. Again, they don't seem to be hurting.
This. And constant, consistent work.

Give them time.
01-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #207
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,117
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Interesting. I am not in their minds, but some thoughts. First, the high end wow stuff is there in the 645z reviews and promotional stuff. Nikon and Canon seem to center their marketing on professionals using their products; the stack of large white lenses surrounding playing fields, etc. A seemingly top down with a shining icon on a hill. Maybe Ricoh plays a lower key game, something similar to what happens on this site; enthusiasts who may or may not be professional doing excellent work, presented in a way that is aspirational. I won't ever shoot an NFL game, but I can follow a wildlife photographer around or emulate them and get as good a shot as I'm willing to invest the time and skill building.

Over the short time I've been involved in this endeavor, almost everyone I've talked to who makes a living from photography loves Pentax products for the feel and joy of shooting, but are forced to use other brands for the breadth of offerings or some shortcoming in technology. I show up with my K-5 or K-3 and they want to hold it. But they shoot with something else. The big guys are in an expensive game of maintaining the buzz, huge investments in flooding the channels, etc. They do well at it, no question. It seems Ricoh/Pentax wants to go at it differently, a sort of ground up building of a market. So they show the images from gifted normal people.

Ricoh doesn't compete with Hewlett Packard or Brother for the low end laser printer sales. It doesn't seem to hurt them. If I wanted a Ricoh product for my business, I would have to hunt them down. But I run into their stuff in businesses I work for. Again, they don't seem to be hurting.
Thanks, and rather my thoughts too. Not big-shot buzz and overcooked internet photography from ye 'pros', just things one can relate to. And across the ages: here, Ricoh emphasize the WR compacts for schools and teenage outdoor courses, etc. Nice idea. No probs with 'the joy of Pentax' here though I do like a company to have a clear direction and sense of purpose and the FF question does fuzzy that a little, imho. Ricoh have done some quite big marketing for their B2B products here. They were all over the London Underground last year.
01-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #208
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,267
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This. And constant, consistent work.

Give them time.
You know what is funny. That is how I approach marketing my business. No flash, little advertising, word of mouth. I like dealing with people who underpromise and over deliver.

And Pentax keeps putting out stuff that I buy. I spent quite a bit last year, the K3 in 2013, then the flu, TC, a bunch of lenses including an expensive long lens. I said to myself that this year, no. So I was shooting in early january, outside and it started raining. I had a Yongnuo flash on the body, and I watched as the water ran. So I ordered their new weather resistant flash. Got a decent deal from The Camera Store in Calgary. And it actually works.

I don't know what is coming, but somehow I suspect that they will put out something that I will find very compelling and will probably buy. Odd that from a company who is doomed.
01-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #209
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,745
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, "FF" might be quote nice to have
It would indeed, it would also stop all these FF rumour threads too.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2015 at 03:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They sound worse than Nancy Whisky
I'm not quite so sure on that, she (Nancy) does take a fair bit of beating.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2015 at 03:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
but the ability to use my FA43 and A50/1.2 as normal lenses, and my FA31 and FA*24 as proper wide angles would be AWESOME
Amen to that.
01-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #210
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
I wonder why there isn't a single street photographer... also think there are great sports photogs in the community...
I think they don't believe that sportsimages are important.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, adam, answer, blah, camera, couple of weeks, cp, date, dont, information, jan, job, kenneth, market, nancy, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, pm, post, relationship, ricoh, sad, sensor, thanks, time, where is the q5?!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Z countdown JPT Pentax News and Rumors 289 04-14-2014 12:38 PM
7-day countdown to Borneo frogoutofwater General Talk 4 02-20-2014 08:32 AM
Countdown to the Upcoming new Pentax products. i83N Pentax News and Rumors 21 03-25-2013 07:47 AM
Countdown... Wildnsyko Photographic Technique 2 01-12-2009 08:02 AM
2006/07 countdown - Montreal godwine Post Your Photos! 5 07-12-2007 07:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top