Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Woops... posted this in the other CES thread by mistake:

What if Ricoh does like Nikon did with the DF and gives us a KD-LX retro FF right off the bat? Have you seen the lynch mobs on the Nikon forums over the DF ? Talk about DOOMED! LOL!

Funny thing is, I'd prolly like a KD-LX retro FF, heh heh, but I'd also most likely be in a minority on that one. I get the feeling that most people I see posting here are hoping for more of a K-3 style body with a FF sensor.

Whatever it is going to be, it's going to need a good size grip area with those big yet-to-be-named lenses.

Eric
Nikon screwed up with the DF, they didn't do it right at all. The way to do it is how Fuji did it with the XT-1... now there is a sexy retro camera that works well. Aside from that mushy four way pad on the back and moving focus points it's a fantastic little camera to operate. I'd do that with a 35mm sensor with a K mount on it... for sure, hands down!

But a K3 style body with a 35mm sensor is the way to go as to get the best market penetration I think.

and yea... Nikon people are constantly going on about how doomed the world of Nikon is. One guy in my local facebook group blew up about how Nikon mistreated him and blah blah blah.... Canon people too....

01-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Or they could make a FF K-S1 with flashy leds and a look at the little bird voice coming out of it.....

Hence my comment about something with a big enough grip... the K-s1 is a smallish camera and I don't think lends itself to the previous hints we've been given about the coming body from people "in the know".

If I were a betting man, I'd hold Johnny Carson's envelope to my head and guess it has to be either a K-3 evolution or something entirely new.

The KD-LX was a dark horse joke, but you can never count out the dark horses either, heh heh.

Eric
01-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What makes you think there is only one FF camera?
01-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Nikon screwed up with the DF, they didn't do it right at all. The way to do it is how Fuji did it with the XT-1... now there is a sexy retro camera that works well. Aside from that mushy four way pad on the back and moving focus points it's a fantastic little camera to operate. I'd do that with a 35mm sensor with a K mount on it... for sure, hands down!

But a K3 style body with a 35mm sensor is the way to go as to get the best market penetration I think.

and yea... Nikon people are constantly going on about how doomed the world of Nikon is. One guy in my local facebook group blew up about how Nikon mistreated him and blah blah blah.... Canon people too....

No arguments from me, but the XT-1 might get a little crowded with dual memory slots, and a big honking FF 100% viewfinder... and the FF lens registration distance...and the mic port, weatherization,... well, it would prolly need to get pumped up a bit in all directions, and need an optional grip. Oh yeah, wait, we have that already, it's called a K-3. All roads keep leading back to Rome to my logic.

Eric

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I don't know... just an assumption seeing how just producing single models almost cripples their production line. They still are catching up on 645z orders, and that's a small market compared to K mount. I don't see them having the ability to not only get FF right, but release multiple FF models at once. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd cheer for them if they did, it just seems in the realm of total fantasy to me.
Eric

01-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OOOooooooOOOOoooO!! Now that would throw people in for a loop, wouldn't it? Two or three FF models with staggered release dates to coincide with multiple new lens releases? Hmmmm... my 2016 and 2017 Christmas and post-Christmas shopping list just got longer!
01-28-2015, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #231
Pentaxian

I think my head almost exploded.
01-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
No arguments from me, but the XT-1 might get a little crowded with dual memory slots, and a big honking FF 100% viewfinder... and the FF lens registration distance...and the mic port, weatherization,... well, it would prolly need to get pumped up a bit in all directions, and need an optional grip. Oh yeah, wait, we have that already, it's called a K-3. All roads keep leading back to Rome to my logic.

What about an XT-1 with K mount and a proper button setup and an APSC sensor? Think LX merged with a K3. If it were LX sized (which it could be as it would be mirrorless), and all our tasty Limited series glass.... yea, I would so happy its not even funny.

Crap, I want an XT-1 again...

01-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #233

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I think my head almost exploded.
There can be only one...FF!
01-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't mean to infer I know anything. Just some dude from flyover country.

Well, let's see - a K-30 was really a K-01 with a VF and a mirror.tacked on so a FF could be . . . .

A little 645 (dual bus, dual processor, fasssssssst FF)
A bigger K-3 (enthusiasts dream machine at a market-busting price)
a MILC LX with an adapter for K-mount lenses. (with a different processor and aperture linkage this could be a sweet video tuner machine)

Betcha' can't buy just one.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2015 at 03:21 PM.
01-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #235
Pentaxian

I don't care about Nikon's fake retro styling. I don't care about Fuji's fake retro styling. I care about Pentax.
01-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #236
Veteran Member

I don't mean to infer I know anything. Just some dude from flyover country.

Well, let's see - a K-30 was really a K-01 with a VF and a mirror.tacked on so a FF could be . . . .

A little 645 (dual bus, dual processor, fasssssssst FF)
A bigger K-3 (enthusiasts dream machine at a market-busting price)
a MILC LX with an adapter for K-mount lenses. (with a different processor and aperture linkage this could be a sweet video tuner machine)

Betcha' can't buy just one.

I'll take the little 645 and the LX please
01-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #237
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't care about Nikon's fake retro styling. I don't care about Fuji's fake retro styling. I care about Pentax.
Interestingly, I have found that all users I know who purchased into Fuji bought it not for the sake of retro looks alone (it is not as polished though, Leica does a much better job), but because of the JPEGs that come out of camera.

Fuji's secret (and lately, Leica's) to success is maybe wrapped inside the fake retro style, but the gem is the JPEG engine. Files require zero touch, they are perfectly usable, and most users are so happy because they know JPEGs will work. One can be very relaxed and enjoy photography. But with Pentax, I am never sure of the JPEGs, and must store RAWs, just in case to massage them later. And that's a worry I don't like to have.

I would love Pentax / Ricoh to improve in that direction. The styling of the camera? Apart from K-01 or K-S1 which are not my cup of tea, they mostly do it fine.
01-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #238
Pentaxian

The discussion above wasn't about Fuji's JPEG engine; actually you're the first to mention JPEGs, in response to a post which was referring to "fake retro styling".
Should I care about Fuji, by the way? I mean, outside the "Non-Pentax cameras" area?
01-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

CP+ Begins in

I predict we will see a LX style FF some days. Can be 2015 or 20015.
01-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #240
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only FF I routinely dream about is a K-02. Of course that is on medication.

Seriously, I think we're in for a lot in 2 weeks.