Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 04:02 AM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yes, and that is what im gonna follow now. I was not planning to appear as a liar or a troll. I just wanted to share something and maybe make people a little excited and happy. I wasnt aware of the history of promised thing, ideas and rumors. I cant see why they would tell me stuff that is not happening, since the info they shared with me, is one of the reasons that got me convinced in the first place..to jump ships..I will have a talk with Pentax later today or on monday, to get updated on what is coming. But i dont think i wanna share more in here. I've told Adam in a private message what i know so far, and i will continue update Adam in coming news they tell me, so he either can confirm my news as legit or bull later.

I am who i say i am. I didnt know about all the skepticism in here, but after some digging, i now know why..and i understand. I can rather discuss details etc later, when everything has been released
I assume that Pentax themselves are very much aware of their position, including the sceptisism amongst their ever thinning userbase. If they really are not aware of that, then their business intelligence department is even worse then their marketing department. Then please remit the PF scepticism, and the causes of it, back towards them.

If they market an FF camera now, it needs to strike a magical home-run.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-30-2015 at 04:20 AM.
01-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #302
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yes, and that is what im gonna follow now. I was not planning to appear as a liar or a troll. I just wanted to share something and maybe make people a little excited and happy. I wasnt aware of the history of promised thing, ideas and rumors. I cant see why they would tell me stuff that is not happening, since the info they shared with me, is one of the reasons that got me convinced in the first place..to jump ships..I will have a talk with Pentax later today or on monday, to get updated on what is coming. But i dont think i wanna share more in here. I've told Adam in a private message what i know so far, and i will continue update Adam in coming news they tell me, so he either can confirm my news as legit or bull later.

I am who i say i am. I didnt know about all the skepticism in here, but after some digging, i now know why..and i understand. I can rather discuss details etc later, when everything has been released
hey kenspo, no worries mate
01-30-2015, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #303

Whatever they do, a definite announcement is long overdue. Too many ff buyers have already moved to Canon, Nikon and lately Sony. Not all of them will come back.
01-30-2015, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If they market an FF camera now, it needs to strike a magical home-run.

Um, why? I take it a lot of people want a K-mount FF, not the ultimate camera.

01-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Um, why? I take it a lot of people want a K-mount FF, not the ultimate camera.
Your question was already answerred:

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Whatever they do, a definite announcement is long overdue. Too many ff buyers have already moved to Canon, Nikon and lately Sony. Not all of them will come back.
Pentax has been the "No we don't have any plans to go FF in the near or distant future"-brand for quite some time. Therefore a large portion of the userbase that chose this brand is not even interested in FF.

They're only going to get people to switch to them if they also fix the lacking support. And if it offers something needed that truly can't be found elsewhere. And then the price has to be right too.

It's a long term investment, something to consider for new Pentaxians. It's not going to repair done damage.
01-30-2015, 04:59 AM   #306
Pentaxian

Pentax has been the "No we don't have any plans to go FF in the near or distant future"-brand for quite some time. Therefore a large portion of the userbase that chose this brand is not even interested in FF. They're only going to get people to switch to them if they also fix the lacking support. And if it offers something needed that truly can't be found elsewhere. And then the price has to be right too. It's a long term investment, something to consider for new Pentaxians. It's not going to repair done damage.

You anthropomorphize Ricoh Pentax. It doesn't like it. (i.e. you project your emotional response to a corporation you have bought products from).
01-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #307
Pentaxian

You anthropomorphize Ricoh Pentax. It doesn't like it. (i.e. you project your emotional response to a corporation you have bought products from).

Nope, no emotion whatsoever. They haven't let me down. I have Pentax for their above excellent APS-C offerings. My FF needs are also more then tended to by another system. Currently nothing is going to make switch either systems.
01-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #308
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the phrase "Ever thinning user base" is a little off. I'm not privy to inside industry information but it's my understanding that over the past 2 or 3 years Pentax has gained market share, not lost it. The industry as a whole has slowed and in that respect i suppose they all have a thinning user base but Pentax is holding its own and making progress. They don't have to hit a "home run" with full frame to be successful; all they have to do is continue to evolve the brand in a positive direction. The current lineup contains some compelling products with some outstanding features unmatched by the competition. I don't believe that Ricoh spent millions to whizz it away in neglect and incompetence but one has to clean up the rubble before the house can be rebuilt. Certainly they have some issues to address and those are well documented. I'm sure they also are aware. What is often overlooked is the positive direction they have taken since the change to Ricoh ownership. Hoya had left the brand gutted and dismembered; things are infinitely better than they were before the change in ownership.

01-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
When I said rumours I mean unverified information that I personally heard from my business partners or friends.
As far as I know none of them are member here on this forum.
Don't get me wrong, because I'm only 1+ year on this forum but I rarely read rumors here.
Exception to that is when I see something here that is matching information that I personally got from 99% unrelated source.
Fact is that something about FF DSLR is much seriously than usual is going on in Pentax right now, but I can't verify what and when.
Some official statements about that on CP+ will be appreciate.
All right then, I was talking more generally, but if you're only considering credible sources (which is something everyone should do)...
And I agree, we should always keep in mind the context - hostile takeover, downsizing, being sold to Ricoh then reorganization.

I guess we'll have some information at CP+ - products being announced/presented under glass, interviews, seminars (e.g. the "future of PENTAX SLR and GR" one)... less than two weeks from now...
01-30-2015, 05:44 AM   #310
Pentaxian

Nope, no emotion whatsoever.

Well maybe I'm misreading you but the vibe I get is 'Pentax failed us by not catering to our wishes for a long time and now it has to beg us on its knees for forgiveness by releasing the camera of our dreams at a great price.'
It doesn't.
The only thing it has to do is stay profitable, period.
Consequently, anything (or nothing) you see at CP+ will be manifestation of their plan to stay profitable.
01-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #311
Pentaxian

Well maybe I'm misreading you but the vibe I get is 'Pentax failed us by not catering to our wishes for a long time and now it has to beg us on its knees for forgiveness by releasing the camera of our dreams at a great price.'
It doesn't.
Consequently, anything (or nothing) you see at CP+ will be manifestation of their plan to stay profitable.
You are misreading me. I am saying that I doubt the FF rumors very much, because Pentax knows their position very well. If they do market an FF camera, then it shouldn't be to fix done damage, and not to make any profit on it any time soon, but to slowly attract new customers and be profitable in the long run. Highly unlikely.
01-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #312
Pentaxian

It doesn't.
Or put it in a business reality language. A bunch of people have a bunch of old lenses they want to use. They want someone to build a body, cheap and very nice, so that they don't have to spend money. If you don't cater to that, they will go and spend a bunch of money on lenses and a body that someone else makes.

Whatever they do has to be profitable.
01-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I think the phrase "Ever thinning user base" is a little off. I'm not privy to inside industry information but it's my understanding that over the past 2 or 3 years Pentax has gained market share, not lost it.
I think that the user base and market share are two different things.
I would like to see quantity of sold Pentax+Sigma+Tamron K mount non-kit lenses year by year.
In my opinion that is a KPI for thinning/enlarging user base and not a market share.
01-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #314
Pentaxian

You are misreading me. I am saying that I doubt the FF rumors very much, because Pentax knows their position very well. If they do market an FF camera, then it shouldn't be to fix done damage, and not to make any profit on it any time soon, but to slowly attract new customers and be profitable in the long run. Highly unlikely.

Then I apologize, since my sentiment is similar.
01-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #315
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Anybody else feel like pentax users are the Chicago Cubs fans of the photography world?
Mets fans...