Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #241

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Nikon screwed up with the DF, they didn't do it right at all. The way to do it is how Fuji did it with the XT-1... now there is a sexy retro camera that works well. Aside from that mushy four way pad on the back and moving focus points it's a fantastic little camera to operate. I'd do that with a 35mm sensor with a K mount on it... for sure, hands down!

But a K3 style body with a 35mm sensor is the way to go as to get the best market penetration I think.

Nothing wrong with DF, at least it is most good looking camera from Nikon.
Pentax can make a better retro look than Df and X-T1. However, for the first time to release FF it is not important whether with or without mirror, retro or not. I think the distinguished feature would be more important. Last interview they said something 16 Bit colors, and if this will be implemented in new FF that will be something to attract. Focusing must be better than K-3, and competing to Nikon D8xx class or Canon 5D class.

01-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #242

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Heheh, it seems you are the only one to think so. The overwhelming sentiment when it came out last year was that the camera was ugly as sin and represented an embarassing failure in its attempt at retro styling.
Did you see this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246780-k3-vs-df.html
I think Df is a nice camera .
I don't understand the haters, maybe the button and dial are not comfortable, but among Nikon's camera Df is the only one I considered buying. Same experience when I have Pentax K-01, many said they don't like it. But I love mine so much. I can sell my K-5, but not K-01.

So pentax if retro is the way they want to make, just make the perfect version of Df. Either way, full-frame like K-3 body is just fine for the first try.
01-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heheh, it seems you are the only one to think so.
No, Afan is not the only one. I think the Df is good looking, too. In fact, I'm buying one.
01-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
No, Afan is not the only one. I think the Df is good looking, too. In fact, I'm buying one.
First let me say that I've never even seen a Df in person, so scroll past if you'd like to. But as a concept, I definitely dig it. Actually it doesn't look as bulky next to the K-3 as I thought it would. I've heard there are some ergonomic quirks that some people have a problem with--maybe I would too. But just looking at the design, only a couple of things stick out at me as "wrong" (for me);
  • I know it's FF, but the prism housing looks chunkier than it needs to be, especially since there's no flash. Maybe it's pure glass under there all the way to the top, but it just looks like a chunky homage to certain F-bodies to my eyes.
  • There seems no reason not to extend or fatten up the grip, at least to the plane of the lens mount. That was one gripe with the K-01 (which I owned and liked)--the camera is as thick as the lens mount, paring down the grip really doesn't reduce the effective size of the thing.

I'm not bothered in the least by the lack of video. That's another tick in the "Pros" column for me!

Last edited by filoxophy; 01-28-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
01-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heheh, it seems you are the only one to think so. The overwhelming sentiment when it came out last year was that the camera was ugly as sin and represented an embarassing failure in its attempt at retro styling.
Balderdash.

"Classic styling... rather pretty, of course..." - DPR

"...a retro-styled body that, while occasionally clumsy, is undeniably handsome..." - Imaging-Resource

"People see it and are immediately struck by the beauty of the camera. It looks retro yet modern though two people thought this was film camera. So that right there tells me that Nikon designed it just as they intended... Yes, this has been happening often and proves that the majority think this camera looks amazingly good." - Steve Huff

Of course not everybody likes the styling of the DF (Michael Reichmann), but to claim "overwhelming sentiment" is against the styling is horse hockey.
01-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by astron Quote
There can be only one...FF!
If there can only be 1 FF camera better make sure it's 75 megapix, with the size of a K-5 and all your requested features in it. This is to make sure that the camera won't be outmoded in the next 20 years.
01-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #247

I recalled this gem from the 2013 rumor mill. The release dates certainly did not pan out, but maybe there is some kernal of truth to the rumours that Pentax was developing two full frame designs, one with retro styling (which I would wholeheartedly welcome!): New Pentax full frame cameras rumored to be in the works | Camyx

01-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would expect some sort of tease from Pentax in the next 10 days
01-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
The tease is already there: The big mistery lenses and the unnamed (probably APS-C) camera with the flippy screen. If there was more fire at CP+, then there would already be more smoke now.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-29-2015 at 01:52 AM.
01-29-2015, 01:24 AM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well i hope they give us a little more info along the way
01-29-2015, 03:22 AM   #251
Veteran Member

That wouldnt surprise me But you might have to wait some few more days then 10..
01-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #252
Pentaxian

whats a few days?
two?
01-29-2015, 03:32 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
That wouldnt surprise me But you might have to wait some few more days then 10..
och, a wee leek in a week, lots of happy chappies
01-29-2015, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
whats a few days?
two?
I cant tell exactly. I know WHAT they will release..They just havent told me exactly the date yet..

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 11:36 AM ----------

och, a wee leek in a week, lots of happy chappies
February will make a lot of people happy
01-29-2015, 04:04 AM   #255
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
I recalled this gem from the 2013 rumor mill. The release dates certainly did not pan out, but maybe there is some kernal of truth to the rumours that Pentax was developing two full frame designs, one with retro styling (which I would wholeheartedly welcome!): New Pentax full frame cameras rumored to be in the works | Camyx
Styling is irrelevant, but based on a lot of rumours and informations there were two FF projects under development before Ricoh bought Pentax. First DSLR project was slowdown for some reasons (funding maybe) in favor of second project which was probably mirrorless FF with a new mount. Then Ricoh bought Pentax and stopped temporary both projects until reorganization of a new business unit. Ricoh decided that Pentax brand should continue with DSLRs and DSLR FF project. Mirrorless project was not totally abandoned, except new mount. Rest of that project was redirected to Ricoh brand and will probably result in product like FF GR or something similar.

NOTICE: Above statement is my conclusion based on a huge amount of unverified public and private informations and rumours. Company changed owner twice for last 7 years which results in at least Inconsistent business strategy and almost constant reorganization during that period. Under that circumstances predicting the future is like solving huge puzzle without picture, but production of FF DSLR will be a key indicatior that Pentax is back on the right track. That is the reason why FF DSLR is so important.

Last edited by banep; 01-29-2015 at 04:11 AM.