Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #361
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 5Ds is rumoured to have a 50MP sensor. I *sure* hope Pentax doesn't weigh in to that battle.

02-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #362

50Mp is too much. I don't think Pentax will release a 50Mp FF. they already have a 50Mp with the 645Z. I better see a 24 or 36Mp with the same or better ratio noise/signal than the 645Z. It would be cool.
02-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #363
Banned

At CP+, some Japanese companies who have never invested into MF, will surely come with 'solutions' for their users that will deliver them a very high number of pixels. They must do that, in order to keep an illusion they are still competitive in all markets.

Nikon may come with a FF with 50 MPs, Canon too. However, that means they only exhibit a pumped-up camera based on previous investments and their limitations. Something like a new line of limited edition cars by Ford or BMW, with spiced up motors to a few more kWs, and 'edgy' bumpers: but essentially it is nothing really new.

What would indeed be a page- and a head-turner is the real MF system from Canon, for example. But would they do that? Everything tells the interest is too small, in fact infinitesimally small. MF market is so little it makes a good playground for small players willing to dabble with it. Phase One and Hassy are virtually phased out from it in two years. Leica and Pentax may keep it alive: Leica for optics, Pentax for affordability.

That is why Pentax and Ricoh have spent some time in it, because they already had the MF, had the lenses, and did the investment and were prepared they will only sell 8,000 cameras a year. That Canon or Nikon will come with a true new solution to sell maybe 5,000 units in the first year and all new lenses for it? Forget about it.

That is why everybody is talking 50MP FF as a mantra that will make FF somehow 'more magical'. A real challenger. But it is basically the same opportunistic thinking about pumping the same car forever. Classical DSLR design is already pushing its limits: it takes a lot of investment in skills and in very good optics to deliver good results. Selling a 24 MP crop DSLR with a $50 kit lens is a joke, not a photographic wisdom, same as purchasing 50MP FF to be used with the same or mediocre lens.

But as long as pumped-up cars are selling dreams to petrol-guzzlers, so will DSLRs with an insane amount of MP.

It is not about real world one can photograph. It is not about truth of any kind. It is about selling, selling, selling .. dreams.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-01-2015 at 07:02 PM.
02-01-2015, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It is not about real world one can photograph. It is not about truth of any kind. It is about selling, selling, selling .. dreams.
We were taught in marketing class: "sell the sizzle not the steak". The sizzle is the promise of a wonderful meal, and the steak can be mediocre if you brag about the sizzle enough. 50mp talk is FUD because Ricoh was bold enough to go all in with the 645z and actually is now the market leader in that category. Canon needs to keep their faithful thinking they gain nothing by changing brands.

02-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #365
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
Similar. But the Toronto Leafs and the Stanley Cup were not written into the script of "Back to the Future 2."
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
We were taught in marketing class: "sell the sizzle not the steak". The sizzle is the promise of a wonderful meal, and the steak can be mediocre if you brag about the sizzle enough. 50mp talk is FUD because Ricoh was bold enough to go all in with the 645z and actually is now the market leader in that category. Canon needs to keep their faithful thinking they gain nothing by changing brands.

So marketeers are just one step above lawyers?
02-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You get a lawyer when you buy the sizzle but the steak sucks.
02-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon have leaked, where are Pentax leaks?

02-01-2015, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Oh my no!! Marketers are people who wanted to be lawyers but could not pass the ethics test.

No lawyers or marketers were intended harm in the making of this post.
02-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #369
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Canon have leaked, where are Pentax leaks?
we all want the leaks but i dont think that Pentax biggest announcement will have that many leaks.. at least not that easy.. we will see.. but as far as today.. we dont know nothing about Pentax and CP+ wich makes it more suspicious... atcually.. we didnt have leaks about the new camera showed at CES.. or the lens.. so mmmm we'll see...
02-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #370
Pentaxian

If Canon (Canon sensor) and Nikon (Sony sensor) go 50MP, it frees the 36MP to be used by Pentax
Pentax could even go with a 2nd camera with the 24MP (GR or another DSLR).
02-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #371
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wednesday Japan time, or Oslo time?
02-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Late Oslo time Cant say more then that. But now you have something to look forward too, and maybe people can be a little less sceptical about who i am
I just pray god that when this leaks go out this wont be something about a new APS-C or some random 234 neon colors.. please please please..

02-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I for one would like to hear about the K-3 successor, hopefully Pentax has this in mind for CP+

Last edited by beachgardener; 02-02-2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add words, adjusted :)
02-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #374
Veteran Member

I removed my original answers, but the tease is still there i see..hehe! Wish i could share stuff, but i wont risk everything. But good times ahead. Step by step!
02-02-2015, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #375
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I removed my original answers, but the tease is still there i see..hehe! Wish i could share stuff, but i wont risk everything. But good times ahead. Step by step!
Please knock it off. You know as much as anybody else here, and that is nil.
In 10 days do not even think to fall into temptation and write that the revealed stuff is "exactly as you have been informed about", with perhaps "one more thing left unveiled, to be ready for the summer".