Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm not sure why people are giving the folks posting rumors about FF such grief. Pentax has said that they have a FF coming, wasn't it Pentax France that broke that one a while ago? So, remember - it can't be as plasticky as Canon, it can't be as heavy as Nikon, and it can't be as weird as Sigma. But then again - Pentax is DOOOMMEED!

02-02-2015, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #452
Veteran Member

Imagine the commotion if they had a line or a family of products to announce... lol
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM - 3 Likes   #453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Imagine the commotion if they had a line or a family of products to announce... lol
FF body
14-24
24-70
70-200
150-450
50 macro
100 macro
DFA HD 31, 43, 77 Limited
35 and 50 consumer lens
20, 24, 200 & 300 * lenses

What am I missing? How big a 'family' do you need?
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
You have taken quite a beating these last few days, glad to see you're not knocked out cold yet!

Perhaps I can add some validity to Kenspo...I am a former Ricoh employee and since about three months back I've recieved a steady stream of rumors from my former coworkers. Let me give you the full story on how it began and I will let you decide if you believe me or not. It is mentioned on my facebook page that I atleast used to be employed by ricoh. www.facebook.com/discharged and if you look at my activity you can see that nothing has changed for many months, if not years... I don't use facebook

I became a father about 7 months ago, and when my son was ~4 months old I took him out on a meet and greet, to Ricoh and to my current employer. I had my camera with me ofcourse and when they saw it was an k-30 they told me that I should upgrade that old brick. I then said that I wanted to, but I felt that for my shooting I wanted to go for a full frame camera and I had been testing the Sony A7 but did not like the viewfinder, and I have so many k-mount lenses that I still want to use. I got a cryptic response from one in the camera division saying losely translated into english "why not buy a pentax full frame? Oh, we don't have any of those... Sorry don't know what I thought about... we must be in the future marty! "*big smile and a wink* or not wink but like throwing the head, like a model or actor if you understand... My name is Martin and the last sentance was actually said in english, a reference to back to the future

This was all in the *I don't know the right word but where you sit and drink coffee etc. during breaks in an office*

After that when I was back at my old room, I prodded one I used to work with a bit, but he had no idea of anything to do with cameras, he is not interrested and he works with IT so I was not surprised.

Then the next day I got a text saying "one year or less "

Since then I've gotten a few tidbits when we have had lunch etc. Nothing really concrete, some office gossip, some fractions of tangible information. The persons I know the best at Ricoh work like myself in IT and not with the cameras, so mostly gossip they have picked up themselves.
I have sailed in rough seas more then once before Thank you for telling this! I appreciate it

02-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #455
Pentaxian

To all Pentaxians

When you live in a semi arid region like I do , the grass is always greener elsewhere. No I mean it. The grass is seldom more than a greeny brown. Except in winter when sometimes it is white.

Interesting rumours but I am happy with what I have. My wife likes to hear that too. She does not care mucn for learning a new camera.
02-02-2015, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just had a thought...

Maybe the FF has been ready since years but the marketing department cannot figure a way out of the 'DA' 'FA' 'DFA' nomenclature issue. What if everything is all ready to go but they cannot figure out what name to stick on the glass? </joking>
02-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
potentially that might happen

02-02-2015, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #458
Veteran Member

All of this angst reminds me of Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
02-02-2015, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #459
Pentaxian

kenspo works for Metal Hammer. He can take the brootalz
02-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I just had a thought...

Maybe the FF has been ready since years but the marketing department cannot figure a way out of the 'DA' 'FA' 'DFA' nomenclature issue. What if everything is all ready to go but they cannot figure out what name to stick on the glass? </joking>
They are gun-shy after "HD". Clearly, the new lens coating should have been "SDMC" (Super-Duper Multi-Coat), but anything with "SDM" in the name is tainted. After months of meetings to come up with a new name for the coating, they finally said, "screw it - let's just call it 'HD'". Unfortunately, HD is kind of associated with cheap macro converters...
02-02-2015, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
kenspo works for Metal Hammer. He can take the brootalz
Haha, yes i do! Next week i have portraits with Jim Root from Slipknot.
02-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
You have taken quite a beating these last few days, glad to see you're not knocked out cold yet!

Perhaps I can add some validity to Kenspo...I am a former Ricoh employee and since about three months back I've recieved a steady stream of rumors from my former coworkers. Let me give you the full story on how it began and I will let you decide if you believe me or not. It is mentioned on my facebook page that I atleast used to be employed by ricoh. www.facebook.com/discharged and if you look at my activity you can see that nothing has changed for many months, if not years... I don't use facebook

I became a father about 7 months ago, and when my son was ~4 months old I took him out on a meet and greet, to Ricoh and to my current employer. I had my camera with me ofcourse and when they saw it was an k-30 they told me that I should upgrade that old brick. I then said that I wanted to, but I felt that for my shooting I wanted to go for a full frame camera and I had been testing the Sony A7 but did not like the viewfinder, and I have so many k-mount lenses that I still want to use. I got a cryptic response from one in the camera division saying losely translated into english "why not buy a pentax full frame? Oh, we don't have any of those... Sorry don't know what I thought about... we must be in the future marty! "*big smile and a wink* or not wink but like throwing the head, like a model or actor if you understand... My name is Martin and the last sentance was actually said in english, a reference to back to the future

This was all in the *I don't know the right word but where you sit and drink coffee etc. during breaks in an office*

After that when I was back at my old room, I prodded one I used to work with a bit, but he had no idea of anything to do with cameras, he is not interrested and he works with IT so I was not surprised.

Then the next day I got a text saying "one year or less "

Since then I've gotten a few tidbits when we have had lunch etc. Nothing really concrete, some office gossip, some fractions of tangible information. The persons I know the best at Ricoh work like myself in IT and not with the cameras, so mostly gossip they have picked up themselves.
As someone who works for a multinational software company, who also works in development, who also works at HQ, who also works in the development group that makes the most "stuff"....I can verify that most of the company will not know what is going on until things are pretty much complete.

We are usually working generations ahead in development, and when the public gets our stuff, we've usually been working on those generations ahead for some time.

Organizations like support and sales take time to ramp-up, and that takes anywhere from 6 months - 2 years. In that time, we have "quiet periods" where we can say nothing.

If we *did* say something, it would be an easy thing to find out "who said what" since not that many people have the critical info.

So what does that mean?

It means that enough time has passed in the Ricoh pipeline, to deliver a FF Pentax, and it will be announced when all the ducks are in a row, and is honestly, old news in the Ricoh back-channels.

02-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #463
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It means that enough time has passed in the Ricoh pipeline, to deliver a FF Pentax, and it will be announced when all the ducks are in a row, and is honestly, old news in the Ricoh back-channels.
Gasp, that means the Ricoh engineers are actually working on the FF REPLACEMENT camera......................
02-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't expect too much from Ricoh except maybe the mid range body (K50 replacement).
02-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Gasp, that means the Ricoh engineers are actually working on the FF REPLACEMENT camera......................
I would not be surprised!!!

When the "leak" finally comes, it will either be a known leak, or someone, that if they were caught, they could deny it, or would know it would be hard to track who said what....and when THAT happens, the camera release would only be weeks/days away.

No one, if they know their job is at risk will ever say anything unless they have an ax to grind or are plain stupid.

Since the Ricoh/Pentax camera brain trust is not that deep, my guess, is the people in the know is probably less than 100.