Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #181
Banned

screw the MX (please dont point to my signature) I want interchangeable finders dag nabbit, interchangeable finders.

08-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #182

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
screw the MX (please dont point to my signature) I want interchangeable finders dag nabbit, interchangeable finders.
interchangeable finders and low-budget?
08-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #183
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
*ist DS was announced on September, 13, 2004
K10D - on September, 13, 2006
Kxxx - on September,..., 2008

I can say that new "Kxxx low-end level" has a bit higher specification than K200D and has body good to put pancakes.
I hope that a lot of *ist DS/DL/K100D users will be happy to make upgrade.

Last edited by ogl; 09-01-2008 at 09:21 AM.
09-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #184
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
hmmm, think ill wait for the k20000d , i hear its the sise of a cigarette pack,rrp of 49.99 plus p+h

Remember that cigarettes KILL. Be careful, you may be killed trying to smoke the k20000d.:ugh:

09-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Going with the Sony 10Mp for the K200D, re-using the K10D technology and re-pack it in a new body (K200D) first seemed like a good and cost efficient idea.
But now, considering the fast moves of this changing marketplace, it would have been better if Pentax has put the Penta-Sam 14Mp CMOS in the K200D also, I believe that the differencies in features between K200D and K20D would still give the users a reason to buy the more expensive K20D, and the K200D would be more competetive in it's marketplace and it could offer LiveView.

I don't know what the K2000D will bring, but Pentax needs to offer the 14Mp CMOS accross the APS-C line to get an advantage over the other makers.

A K200D Super with 14Mp CMOS (and larger image buffer for the larger images), that could be enough to bring it on the top of the sales charts.

If the K2000D has a better specifiaction than the K200D, then what will happen with the K200D? But then, in some areas, the *ist DS and DS2 had a better specification than the more expensive *ist D. And the *ist DL has some novel things the DS did not have (but was introduced in the DS2).

So, the K2000D may mean that Pentax will also make a K200D Super. It would be inline to what they have done in the past.

As for an updated K20D - it is too early for the K30D, but a K20D Super with some minor - and not expensive - tweaks to make it more competetive, yes it could happen.
A new AF system? Well, Pentax has surely been working on this for a while and it would be logic to introduce it in new bodies, and perhaps even Super-models of older bodies.
09-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #186
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Going with the Sony 10Mp for the K200D, re-using the K10D technology and re-pack it in a new body (K200D) first seemed like a good and cost efficient idea.

the whole idea is to streamline the design and logistics by using as many common parts as possible across the range. Now for the first time Pentax has 2 cameras that share a lot of internal components and it's logical as one system improves it will replace the older one across the range also. In 10 days it will have at least 3 cameras so the need is even bigger.

But now, considering the fast moves of this changing marketplace, it would have been better if Pentax has put the Penta-Sam 14Mp CMOS in the K200D also, I believe that the differencies in features between K200D and K20D would still give the users a reason to buy the more expensive K20D, and the K200D would be more competetive in it's marketplace and it could offer LiveView.

Roland, here I disagree with you on some grounds:
- the sensor was too expensive (my guess) to put it in an entry level camera at the time;
- anyway LV was poorly implemented so there was no big advantage;
- for sure the buffer for example needed improvements so more cost further stil.

I don't know what the K2000D will bring, but Pentax needs to offer the 14Mp CMOS accross the APS-C line to get an advantage over the other makers.

I am affraid that K2000D has another target and being at the bottom of the range needed sacrifices.

A K200D Super with 14Mp CMOS (and larger image buffer for the larger images), that could be enough to bring it on the top of the sales charts.

Of course depending on the price. I still feel that Pentax needs a weather proof, decent quality DA 18-105 SDM consumer zoom to become even more attractive for the average consumer

If the K2000D has a better specifiaction than the K200D, then what will happen with the K200D? But then, in some areas, the *ist DS and DS2 had a better specification than the more expensive *ist D. And the *ist DL has some novel things the DS did not have (but was introduced in the DS2).

Well, I can assure you that K2000D is IMO in completely another class than K200D. It's strong points are different and it's weaknesses may be easier to swallow for some and harder for others. I sincerely believe that it's a much needed camera for the present in Pentax' range.

So, the K2000D may mean that Pentax will also make a K200D Super. It would be inline to what they have done in the past.

I guess the answer lies in how many new systems K2000D has. It makes 110% sense to improve across the range now or in a close future both increasing performance and standardising parts for all models. Look at Canon they have Digic 4 from 1000D thru 50D up to the rumoured 5D II. Very different cameras but I bet even if the Digic works @10% capacity on 1000D the millions put in those low level cameras reduce dramatically the price per unit.

As for an updated K20D - it is too early for the K30D, but a K20D Super with some minor - and not expensive - tweaks to make it more competetive, yes it could happen.
A new AF system? Well, Pentax has surely been working on this for a while and it would be logic to introduce it in new bodies, and perhaps even Super-models of older bodies.

Again IMO it's a matter of possitioning on the market. It's easy to see that the most expected camera seems to be D90 and this is the target for Pentax, to produce something better at around the same money. If we make a comparative analysis K20D has some major upper points over the D90 even in the current incarnation so if the tweaks are available why not? They can even keep for some time both models on the market for a sizeable price difference IMO.
Radu
09-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #187
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The classification of Pentax's cameras with digits in names
is already changed again.
09-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #188

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Let's skip digits and go LXD instead :-)

09-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #189
Forum Member

Oh, i'd throw my late 2 cents into this discussion.

I dont think Pentax needs to move downmarket with a K2000D. They already have a well equiped "entry-level" camera with the K200D. K200D's are already priced around $500-600 in my area, I can't imagine a K2000D DSLR be significantly cheaper than, so it will directly compete with the K200D. Pentax will be competing with itself.

What pentax really needs to cement its loyal base of customers, is a high end professional camera and along with more pro-telephoto zoom lenses (ie. 70-200mm SDM). Right now, I am waiting for Pentax to come up with a higher end camera than the K20D (ie. faster shooting, more features, perhaps full frame) to satisfy my sport shooting needs. I really don't want to have to opt for a Canon 40D or 5D with their famous white lenses to satisfy this because I've never had a good experience with Canon products before (ie. their point and shoots, their photocopiers, and their printers).
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #190
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Let's skip digits and go LXD instead :-)
Next year.
09-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #191

Photos: Albums
.....MX-D?
09-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #192
Veteran Member

.....p110-d :d
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #193
ibk
Forum Member

You are right and you are not at the same time.
09-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #194
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
Oh, i'd throw my late 2 cents into this discussion.

I dont think Pentax needs to move downmarket with a K2000D. They already have a well equiped "entry-level" camera with the K200D. K200D's are already priced around $500-600 in my area, I can't imagine a K2000D DSLR be significantly cheaper than, so it will directly compete with the K200D. Pentax will be competing with itself.

What pentax really needs to cement its loyal base of customers, is a high end professional camera and along with more pro-telephoto zoom lenses (ie. 70-200mm SDM). Right now, I am waiting for Pentax to come up with a higher end camera than the K20D (ie. faster shooting, more features, perhaps full frame) to satisfy my sport shooting needs. I really don't want to have to opt for a Canon 40D or 5D with their famous white lenses to satisfy this because I've never had a good experience with Canon products before (ie. their point and shoots, their photocopiers, and their printers).
New entry-level camera is what a lot of Pentaxians need. It's ideal for using pancakes and smaller than K200D. K200D will be changed with new model -
either Samsung will continue to make GX200, or Pentax will launch K300D close to PMA.
09-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #195
Veteran Member

New entry-level camera is what a lot of Pentaxians need. It's ideal for using pancakes and smaller than K200D. K200D will be changed with new model -
either Samsung will continue to make GX200, or Pentax will launch K300D close to PMA.
A small Pentax DSLR would be a step in the right direction, and Pentax already has the best small prime lens line-up currently available. The DA Limiteds look so much better on the DS, for example, than on the newer bodies (the DA40 looks kind quite odd on the K20, IMO). I'm really anxious to see just how big this new camera is, and what had to be sacrificed to make it small(er). Any hints?