Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K200D is just a tad bigger than the K100D/K100D Super in size but it is still portable enough. A downsized DSLR stripped of established features is surely a commercial non-starter in my opinion and will surely be a flop when it goes on sale.
I disagree. This is why I referenced rangefinders in my post. I think there is a niche market here. A camera that takes us back to the basics of photography with hands-on controls and today's great sensors. Small and light enough to be pocketable. This would sell not only to street shooters and people who might need to get to the top of a mountain but also to those who take a point'n'shoot instead of the SLR on vacation.

And the student market, which Pentax used to rule. A dial for aperture (for the right thumb), a dial for shutter speed (right forefinger), a dial for ISO (where mode dial is now). Direct photographic control.

Actually, camera size is secondary. I just want that interface.

05-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Give me a DS sized body with two wheels and same weight as the DS, K20D sensor and performance levels (i.e fast read/write times etc etc etc) and i'll pay $1,000 for it.

Why are we forced to lug around the 20D for decent performance? Even the 200D is far too big IMHO.
05-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I disagree. This is why I referenced rangefinders in my post. I think there is a niche market here. A camera that takes us back to the basics of photography with hands-on controls and today's great sensors. Small and light enough to be pocketable. This would sell not only to street shooters and people who might need to get to the top of a mountain but also to those who take a point'n'shoot instead of the SLR on vacation.

And the student market, which Pentax used to rule. A dial for aperture (for the right thumb), a dial for shutter speed (right forefinger), a dial for ISO (where mode dial is now). Direct photographic control.

Actually, camera size is secondary. I just want that interface.
Aren't the current Pentax DSLRs already providing the creative controls the photographer needs? There's the provision for full manual control and varying degrees of camera auto exposure to full auto only modes for the rank beginner or those who don't want to figure out the photographic variables of aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

What you're looking for is more in the guise of the Sigma DP1, Ricoh GR Digital or even the Canon G9, not counting the Leica M8 or D-Lux. Except for the Canon, both the Sigma and Ricoh certainly fits within your niche market for rangefinder type digital cameras. However both are not volume sellers and it is debatable if they have been commercial successes to date.
05-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't the current Pentax DSLRs already providing the creative controls the photographer needs?
Not in the way I described. The interfaces are stuck in a rut with no-one willing to innovate. Why are there four buttons down the side of the LCD when we already have a four-way rocker? Why are there switches for functions we almost never need to change? Why is ISO not easier to set and read? No reason except lack of vision and clear thinking.

What you're looking for is more in the guise of the Sigma DP1, Ricoh GR Digital or even the Canon G9, not counting the Leica M8 or D-Lux.
The first two are not like what I'm describing. The G9 and M8 have only the shutter speed dial. The most obvious point of comparison is instead the Pentax 645NII. It's got a shutter speed dial and an aperture ring, each with A settings. Using them in different combinations gets different degrees of automation. Put the aperture dial on the camera and you have what I'm talking about.

05-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #20
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
sensor - 10 Mp CCD Sony or 14.2 Mp CCD Sony.
maybe - new Samsung CMOS sensor 10-12 Mp?

No speculation. *ist DL had last price 350 USD for body.
K200D is more then DL or K100D. And the price is not low. We say about low-end and small camera with price lower USD500. Pentax will launch such camera. I have no doubts.
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Just one low end (introductory) model.
Which is? And any whitepaper list about this?
05-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Let's all play the guessing game...

05-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #23

Pentax are really secretive...
05-29-2008, 02:47 AM   #24
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

@ogl, could you please stop to start threads about nothing new? You did it too many times now already... Please use another forum for this kind of post. It isn't funny and it isn't this forum's style.
Sorry to disaggree falconeye. This is the NEWS AND RUMORS isn't it?
Rui
05-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sure, Pentax just HAVE TO launch it.
Canon will in this summer. EOS 1000D.

IMO specs will be:
10 Mpx,
AA,
No SR/DR,
may be no RAW,
no steel chasis
3 point AF (like in *ist DL)
No top LCD
price under $500

and it will contain build-in flash, hot-shoe, SDM and screw drive, manual modes (P,Av,Tv,M,B)
05-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Well, it isn't news nor rumors. Just a wishlist.

But anyway, with the thread attracting 25 posts, forum fellows obviously like to play this game, so I withdraw my complaint.

@ogl, but seriously then: At least don't fool people with titles as

"[!] New low-end model Pentax K2000D will be close to Photokina"

Call it "Let's speculate about expected low-end K2000D" and I'm fine with it.
05-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Rui

Even so, launching some very unfounded rumours, just because somebody else's brain farted (pardon the expression) on another forum can get a bit annoying from time to time.
05-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #28
mfc

hmmm, think ill wait for the k20000d , i hear its the sise of a cigarette pack,rrp of 49.99 plus p+h
05-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
hmmm, think ill wait for the k20000d , i hear its the sise of a cigarette pack,rrp of 49.99 plus p+h
Got one, but mine has a Sony Ericsson lens, plays MP3 files and makes phone calls.
05-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

From my understanding, there are still schools out there that teach photography.
This (also from my understanding), was where the K1000 had it's niche, beginners.
If Pentax came out with a modern equivalent, I'd like to see it be low cost - not low ability.
The photographic potential should be reached by the user learning his/her trade.
So...

low asking price
Pentaprism.
no, no brainer picture program modes.
Shake reduction (I just think it would to sell a camera without it in the future (you can always turn it off!)
in body screw drive (but SDM support also)
small size preferably
tough no nonsense body
package including access code to Pentax online skill workshops (I know they don't exist yet! lol)

Oh yes, and call it a K1000(D)

Selling something like this might be a tough sell over a Nikon D40 for example, that's why it would need to be a package with training or some kind of support. To make it THE de-facto "my1st DLSR" would require some thought and clever marketing perhaps... but Pentax has it's legacy, and support of old (quality) manual focus lenses as justification for it to be number 1 in this niche.

Just thinking out loud...

Perhaps they could sell a similar version with the picture program modes to intro the Pentax system to people that just want to shoot with a "big lens" :-P. (no offense ment)

Last edited by lbam; 05-29-2008 at 09:10 AM.