Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New low-end model Pentax K2000D will be close to Photokina

I have information that new low-end model Pentax K2000D (?) will be launched close to Photokina.

Any forecast? About size of body and sensor?

Last edited by ogl; 09-12-2008 at 07:54 PM.
05-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And there are also rumors that there'll be a K1000D... Is this true?
05-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by praxxis Quote
And there are also rumors that there'll be a K1000D... Is this true?
Just one low end (introductory) model.
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
RaduA

My prediction is that Pentax will try to emulate something like D40. So without further ado:

- under 500 grams;
- smallest of all Pentax DSLR ever made (not necessary a bad thing btw);
- the same sensor as K200D, same buffer (obviously it cannot be any smaller );
- plastic body, no steel chasis, no weather seals;
- 2,5" LCD;
- no LV;
- pentamirror;
- LiIon accu;
- scenes mode;
- 500 USD/ Euro body only or 100 more for the kit.

This is the worst case scenario but unfortunatelly the most plausible right now.
The better scenario (much better) would be that Pentax / Samsung will debut a new CMOS sensor with K2000D - around 10-12 Mp, LV done right and with improvements in many areas vs the 10,2 CCD Sony. And after that (very fast) launch a K250D or K300D with the same sensor and bring the fight to the Rebel 450D. But I guess it's not going to happen

Radu

05-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
source?

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I have information that new low-end model Pentax K2000D (?) will be launched close to Photokina.

Any forecast? About size of body and sensor?
From where did this info come from?
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I have information that new low-end model Pentax K2000D
This is old info referring to an interview with Baus from pentax Germany and a Samsung press release about Photokina. Discussed to death on this forum already.

@ogl, could you please stop to start threads about nothing new? You did it too many times now already... Please use another forum for this kind of post. It isn't funny and it isn't this forum's style.
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
@ogl, could you please stop to start threads about nothing new?

That is funny!

05-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My Idea:
Think *ist-DL but with better Manual controle
6mp 2-2.5" low-end LCD
No SR
Yes SDM
Under $4-500 USD
05-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #9

New DS with SR

Give me a DS with SR.
I'd like to use it as camera number two in those situations where I need two bodies, and when I need something compact.

Same ergonomic, same build, and same viewfinder. I'd also like some AF improvements, not radical, but some.

No more, no less. Mp is unimportant, as long as it is a good sensor.
05-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give me a K200D but with a smaller plastic non-weather-sealed body. Strip off the extra control buttons, the SR switch and the RAW button. Cut the body size down to the smallest on the market (Though keep the same depth profile with hand grip). Get rid of scene modes and instead have direct dial access to aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Result: a rangefinder killer.
05-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Forum Member

Limited Body

Make a small high quality body to match the limited lenses. Two dials, Pentaprism, SR. As small or smaller than the original *istD.

That's my order!
05-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickC Quote
Make a small high quality body to match the limited lenses. Two dials, Pentaprism, SR. As small or smaller than the original *istD.

That's my order!
Pentaprism + SR = no small body. I'm pretty sure that the current Pentax models are as small as they think they could make them, at least with current tech. If you want a small body, you're going to have to give something up. My guess is the SR (eg. Oly 520 vs. 420). I'm pretty sure that the pentaprism adds a lot to the size as well. There is no free lunch in design.
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
Forum Member

My MX had a decent pentaprism in a much smaller body and that covered FF. It would add weight over a pentamirror.
The SR mechanism might make it a bit bigger so I could probably live without that, although the whole thing doesn't look much bigger that a 35mm frame.

Nick
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

ooh! take away the built in flash and put a pentaprism instead!
optional grip and strap lug configuration would also be cool (like LX)
05-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Honestly I can't fathom some people's propensity to create threads to speculate on a low-end Pentax out of nothing. Isn't the K200D already the entry level camera in Pentax's current line-up?

A smaller camera might be possible but devoid of Shake Reduction, it will not sell. One only needs to look at the fate of the short-lived K110D. The K100D was the volume seller simply because SR works and it offered a demonstrably superior feature despite the slight increase in price.

The reason why there is no pentaprism is simply a cost issue. A pentamirror is way cheaper. Those who point to film cameras like the MX as an example of small form factor camera with a pentaprism forget the fact that one needs to allocate space for electronics, batteries and focus motor.

The K200D is just a tad bigger than the K100D/K100D Super in size but it is still portable enough. A downsized DSLR stripped of established features is surely a commercial non-starter in my opinion and will surely be a flop when it goes on sale. The direction now among camera manufacturers is to offer more features at a lower cost. People who step up to a DSLR from PnS and bridge/prosumer cameras want better performance and better quality as a key criteria for selection, not a small form factor per se.