Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm assuming these "hired" reviewers will be contributing to the "Professional" reviews. Frankly, I don't read those at all, rather I'm far more interested in the "regular" member's reviews listed, as they are the meat of users, paid for the lens they post a review on; and use the reviewed lenses long enough to tell us any problems, benefits, etc. So for me, it won't in the least devalue the member's contributions, as they are the ones I pay attention to, when I'm considering a new lens!
I think the reviews on PF focus on the practical side of the product. The insight I get here on construction, handling, and usage is much better than other sites. However, the sharpness tests and other optical performance tests feel weaker and subjective. For number crunching I head over to ePhotozine, LensTip, and Photozone. My personal experience with a lens' sharpness jives with their data and my personal experience with the handling and feel of a lens jives with PF. I also give a lot of weight and credit to the lens database entries submitted by fellow forum members. There's always a unique use case in those entries that never crosses any single reviewers mind. When taken all together, these three sets of data (PF reviews, numerical reviews, and database) give me a pretty good idea about a lens.

01-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm assuming these "hired" reviewers will be contributing to the "Professional" reviews. Frankly, I don't read those at all, rather I'm far more interested in the "regular" member's reviews listed, as they are the meat of users, paid for the lens they post a review on; and use the reviewed lenses long enough to tell us any problems, benefits, etc. So for me, it won't in the least devalue the member's contributions, as they are the ones I pay attention to, when I'm considering a new lens!
That's disappointing, because I kill myself every time I write one of these reviews to ensure it's as comprehensive as possible and to not miss anything. I'm no longer available for writing as my schedule has become too hectic, but still....that's extremely disheartening to hear

Hopefully the next writer(s) will be more successful.

-Heie
01-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely no offense meant to the professionals that write reviews here. Just my choice right now. Later on, I no doubt will dip into the Professional Reviews, but right now, I haven't. Because I haven't taken the time to read those reviews certainly does not mean that you or others have not been successful in their writing!
01-22-2015, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

ME: I have extensive experience mocking spelling and grammer errors and spreading offensive memes on twitter.

ADAM: Your hired!!!

01-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been impressed by the professional equipment reviews on PF, as well as with many of the owner-reviewers' reports. They compliment one another. Gleaning information from both sources was responsible for my choosing to go with Pentax back when I was moving to digital photography, and when I consider the purchase of new hardware, I survey all the offerings here to help me decide.

As someone who makes a living as a writer, I appreciate the amount of time and the attention to detail, all done to a standard, which is in evidence here on PF. That's not to diminish the many contributions made by talented, devoted forum members participating in threads. But I'm guessing that a website such as this one also needs contributers who (I assume) will work to deadline and to a quality standard set by PF. That PF is willing to pay for that is laudable.

Last edited by Tamia; 01-22-2015 at 09:28 PM.
01-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
That's disappointing, because I kill myself every time I write one of these reviews to ensure it's as comprehensive as possible and to not miss anything. I'm no longer available for writing as my schedule has become too hectic, but still....that's extremely disheartening to hear

-Heie
Sad to hear you won't be doing the reviews any more. I always enjoyed your thoroughness in lens reviews. Especially the 18-135 review. The master image you had for that review showed the amount of effort you put into both article and images to support the article.
01-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm no longer available for writing as my schedule has become too hectic
I agree with RonakG, and I'm sad too! I always thought your reviews were a great example of how to be completely thorough. They're certainly more thorough than my dissertation was!

01-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Review are all time a personal affair . I done review of tool and you try to balance everything . Because every body look for differenbt cue.
01-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

-Heie
You don't need to take this for you Heie. It's a matter of taste, the kind of writing you like to read.
In any way this comment is questionning the work you've done (AFAICT).
01-23-2015, 03:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

-Heie
You've done a top job, imho. I don't know of anywhere else that does such careful in-depth assessments of Pentax lenses.

The readers' reviews in the DB are useful but in many of them one can see the writer rationalizing either the purchase or a decision to move on from the item. Yes, one can see a consensus emerging when there are a lot of reviews on an item, but often it is a pretty fuzzy one.
01-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #26

The reviews on PF are a pleasure to read: full of expertise, but still written by non-pros, I guess. That's a mixture that give the reader the best of both worlds: a pragmatical but nevertheless seeking an unbiased look on the gear reviewed. If only I could download them in one PDF file to print and read them!

Ralf
01-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #27

-Heie
Don't worry, there are a bunch of users who appreciate your great works like I do...
01-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think the reviews on PF focus on the practical side of the product. The insight I get here on construction, handling, and usage is much better than other sites. However, the sharpness tests and other optical performance tests feel weaker and subjective. For number crunching I head over to ePhotozine, LensTip, and Photozone. My personal experience with a lens' sharpness jives with their data and my personal experience with the handling and feel of a lens jives with PF. I also give a lot of weight and credit to the lens database entries submitted by fellow forum members. There's always a unique use case in those entries that never crosses any single reviewers mind. When taken all together, these three sets of data (PF reviews, numerical reviews, and database) give me a pretty good idea about a lens.
This hits the nail right on the head for me as well. Having more reviews of equipment for Pentax is always a good thing (though it is a pity to lose Heie as a reviewer).
01-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
Don't worry, there are a bunch of users who appreciate your great works like I do...
+1 for that

Last edited by lytrytyr; 01-23-2015 at 07:06 PM.
01-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The high quality professionally-written reviews are very well written, professional, high-quality reviews.

It's the opinions and conclusions . . . .