Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Job Opening: Review lenses for PF!

Hello everyone,

We are currently looking for two paid staff reviewers to join our ranks.

This opening is for experienced photographers who are interested in writing in-depth reviews of Pentax K-mount lenses. You will focus primarily on current third-party lenses (including those from Sigma and Samyang) and follow a standard review format. Click here for samples of existing reviews.

Requirements (candidates must meet all of the following):
  • Located in the continental US
  • Consistent availability (~40 hours per month) for part-time work
  • Good understanding of photographic concepts
  • Familiarity with the Pentax lens lineup
  • Good technical writing skills
  • Previously-published reviews or photographic articles in a reputable publication / web site
  • Own a Pentax K-3 or K-5 IIs, or plan to upgrade prior to beginning work
We will provide loaner lenses for all reviews. We can also provide equipment such as test charts, color checkers, and tripods.

If you are interested in becoming a staff reviewer, please send me a private message with a short paragraph explaining why you would be a good fit, confirming that you meet all of the requirements set forth above, and providing examples of prior work (create an account if you do not yet have one).

We will not follow-up on inquiries from applicants who do not meet all of the requirements.

Thank you for your interest!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-21-2015, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
  • Previously-published reviews or photographic articles in a reputable publication / web site
Would you consider someone who has publications and a background in technical writing, but not in photography?
01-21-2015, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I'd love to but the only reviews I've ever had published by a website are beer reviews....
01-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do the evaluations posted to the lens-review database area on this site count for the 6th bullet, Adam? And would a K-s1 qualify for testing?

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 01-21-2015 at 10:33 PM.
01-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Would you consider someone who has publications and a background in technical writing, but not in photography?
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Do the evaluations posted to the lens-review area on this site count for the 6th bullet, Adam?
No- at this time we're specifically looking for people with experience working as a reviewer / writer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a neat offer! I would do this for free for the chance to play with new gear and learn something about photography along the way! Alas, I have never been professionally published in a photography related publication.

Good luck to all the applicants!
01-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Located in the continental US --- check
Consistent availability --- check
Good understanding of photographic concepts --- check
Familiarity with the Pentax lens line-up --- check
Own a Pentax K3 --- check
Good technical writing skills --- uh-oh, maybe?
Previously published reviews or photographic articles in a reputable publication/website --- Doh!

Oh well, five and a half out of seven ain't too shabby!

01-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That's the stuff that I'd do for free, just to be able to thoroughly examine some lenses

But alas, I'm not even close to fulfilling the requirements. I don't even write reviews in the reviews section because I don't feel qualified to give my opinion, never having owned or even touched a * or Limited lens..
01-22-2015, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Don't feel bad, the requirements are pretty stringent. I'm good for maybe 3 out of 7.

This sounds like the tactic where you ask for what you want, before you accept what you can get. And sometimes you get what you want, so hey, why not?
01-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

Two openings? Jeez, how many K Mount lenses are you expecting to come out this year?
01-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

No kidding, not to mention that there's a good number of us that put good information out there all the time for free. It kind of devalues the members contributions. If you're going to pay someone, pay digitalis. His stuff is amazing.
01-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I meet all of these, except for the living in the continental US bit. Darn.
01-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I meet all of these, except for the living in the continental US bit. Darn.
Wait until you're visiting your friends in New England, then apply.
01-22-2015, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

If only my blog were reputable..
01-22-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No kidding, not to mention that there's a good number of us that put good information out there all the time for free. It kind of devalues the members contributions. If you're going to pay someone, pay digitalis. His stuff is amazing.
I'm assuming these "hired" reviewers will be contributing to the "Professional" reviews. Frankly, I don't read those at all, rather I'm far more interested in the "regular" member's reviews listed, as they are the meat of users, paid for the lens they post a review on; and use the reviewed lenses long enough to tell us any problems, benefits, etc. So for me, it won't in the least devalue the member's contributions, as they are the ones I pay attention to, when I'm considering a new lens!