Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New Optio W60

Sorry if this is posted before, I couldn't find anything on it. While I'm at it: this is an introduction that is introduced quietly (even dpreview didn't mention it.)

H2O Camera

So who said Pentax was out of the compact business?

It seems a swell camera to me: nice form, 28-140 (with half of the 9 lens element being aspherical ) and 13 ft (4 meter) waterproof and -10C operation design... Only thing: too much pixels to be useable (question of a lifetime: how will the ISO 6400 be on this 1/2,3" 10MP sensor? ) and no SR and/or RAW...

Give me the same with 6 MP 1/1,8" (or 2/3" for that matter) sensor and RAW capability and I buy it in a bliss...

05-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

Yeah, somebody mentioned it in the p&s section, check it out.
05-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Give me the same with 6 MP 1/1,8" (or 2/3" for that matter) sensor and RAW capability and I buy it in a bliss...
I agree. It won't happen however. I might still buy one of those Wx0.
05-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Whoa. 13 feet is pretty good. Four metres. Man, if Pentax could multiply that by ten, add RAW....

I'd buy it.

05-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately the Olympus Stylus 1030SW trumps the Optio W60 in waterproofing depth and has shockproofing. Pentax was late to bring this camera out as the Olympus was introduced earlier.

While the Optio W60 has a slightly better zoom range on the long end, from the specifications, the Olympus looks a little better. The only negative is the Oly use of the expensive XD memory card, the alternative being the use of micro-SD cards.
05-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Unfortunately the Olympus Stylus 1030SW trumps the Optio W60 in waterproofing depth and has shockproofing. Pentax was late to bring this camera out as the Olympus was introduced earlier.

While the Optio W60 has a slightly better zoom range on the long end, from the specifications, the Olympus looks a little better. The only negative is the Oly use of the expensive XD memory card, the alternative being the use of micro-SD cards.
From memory, the Pentax is about half the price of the Olympus. The Pentax isn't very cheap but isn't expensive either. The Olympus is better but paying the price of an SLR for a P&S (as good as it can be), I will never do.
06-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Seems the ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 modes will be 5MP only. I suppose they combine the pixels to suppress the noise and increase the DR? Is this as "good" as a real 5MP I wonder?

I'm curious about this one to say the least...

Wim

PS: dpreview does have it on its site, it's listed as being announced on 23 May. But why oh why they didn't put this up on their news page is beyond me... It has been known to happen with minor upgrades, but this is pretty major even if in a dwindling market?

Last edited by Ishpuini; 06-03-2008 at 06:04 AM.
06-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

ah DpReview.... :|

06-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Trip

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

As a former owner of an Olympus C-5050Z (probably the best P&S they ever made) and a 770SW (probably one of their worst, in terms of IQ), things are not getting any better for Oly's P&S cams in overall image quality. It appears as though their imaging engines just can't do enough to compensate the ever-growing pixel count-to-sensor size ratios. And with an even more MP in the same 1/2.33" sensor, if Olympus is using an engine even remotely similar to what I experienced with the 770, then I think it would be almost safe to say the IQ on the 1030SW would be every bit as bad, if not worse.

IQ aside, I have also read numerous reports of seal failure on many late-model SW cameras. So, while Olympus claims slightly more robust usability, if the product can't actually perform up to those limits in the real world, what good are the claims to begin with? Kind of negates any on-paper spec comparison, don't you think?

So with all of that said, I wouldn't write off the Pentax until we see initial feedback later in the summer. If the W60's imaging engine turns out consistently better results in similar situations, then it may just be the better camera, Olympus faults fresh in mind.

Add that to the fact that MSRP for the W60 will match the street price of the Oly (which has had several months to fall in price already), and you may just be making the opposite conclusion.

Just my 2C, but I think it's at least worth it to wait and see what the first testers have to say about the W60,

Trip
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Why, oh why did they not put the sensor from the S10 (1/8) in? I would have bought it as I enjoyed my S40 (until someone stole it).