Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 8-16 Now Available Through Sigma Site

Have been looking for the Sigma 8-16 used or new from a reputable seller for months now. My search has included checking the Sigma site regularly, but the 8-16 was not available in Pentax mount - until a week ago. Get you some!

02-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't both B&H and Adorama have the 8-16, Pentax mount, in stock? Have done 95% of purchases from B&H and they have been 100% reliable and astoundingly fast.
02-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Don't both B&H and Adorama have the 8-16, Pentax mount, in stock? Have done 95% of purchases from B&H and they have been 100% reliable and astoundingly fast.
Nah, it's listed as discontinued. I'm not sure why this would be the case if Sigma hadn't discontinued the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nah, it's listed as discontinued. I'm not sure why this would be the case if Sigma hadn't discontinued the lens.
That may mean that SIgma is in fact discontinuing the lens in K-mount, but is selling their leftovers through their own on-line store.

02-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Why not just call Sigma and ask them. They probably don't know, but them might and they might tell you. Also I'd call B&H too and ask why it's discontinued and yet back on Sigma's sight.

Or I will sell you mine for $10,000.00 (It's that good.)

Not having them readily available kinda makes me hesitant to use mine in any kind of dangerous or abusive manner.

Last edited by photolady95; 02-02-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: fixed typo, misspelled Sigma
02-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That may mean that SIgma is in fact discontinuing the lens in K-mount, but is selling their leftovers through their own on-line store.
From what I know, this is indeed the case. Seems like a strange move, though, given the praise that this lens gets from the community.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry, I should have put more info in my original post: The 8-16 for Pentax has indeed been unavailable domestically for some time. Copies from Japan have been available on Amazon and eBay, usually above the MSRP. Also, they seem to have become available in Australia from time to time. I have no clue why the lack of domestic availability, but I did purchase one from Sigma this morning, before they are once again no more...
02-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

See this thread from December:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/282269-sigm...ble-again.html

It appears to be a new (small) production run, not leftover stock.

02-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Is there any reason to hope that Ricoh will issue a new UWA zoom with the upcoming announcements that cannot yet be mentioned publicly (though we are mentioning them publicly in the abstract)? Say, a 10-20mm, a 12-28mm, or some such beast? And if there is hope, might that hope be for an UWA zoom that is faster than f4.5-5.6?
02-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Is there any reason to hope that Ricoh will issue a new UWA zoom with the upcoming announcements that cannot yet be mentioned publicly (though we are mentioning them publicly in the abstract)? Say, a 10-20mm, a 12-28mm, or some such beast? And if there is hope, might that hope be for an UWA zoom that is faster than f4.5-5.6?
The ~12-28 on the Pentax lens roadmap should certainly come sometime this year. It must trump the existing DA 12-24 f/4 in some way or there wouldn't be any point to it. HD? Faster? Better build? WR? Smaller? Or just the extra few mm at the long end?

By the way, as far as I'm aware, the Sigma 8-16 has never ceased being available in Australia. I've checked it on-line semi-regularly over the last few years and always found it available new from multiple sellers. I can see it on eight sites currently.
02-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Would be wonderful if Pentax made an ultra wide, especial a 10mm SFL DA*, but truth is, Sigma's 10-20 and 8-16 are really good wide angles, competitive with or better than any SFL.
02-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The ~12-28 on the Pentax lens roadmap should certainly come sometime this year. It must trump the existing DA 12-24 f/4 in some way or there wouldn't be any point to it. HD? Faster? Better build? WR? Smaller? Or just the extra few mm at the long end?

By the way, as far as I'm aware, the Sigma 8-16 has never ceased being available in Australia. I've checked it on-line semi-regularly over the last few years and always found it available new from multiple sellers. I can see it on eight sites currently.
I should have clarified. My 12-24mm is my only lens that is not fully suitable for FF. So, my concern is if there will be a Pentax UWA zoom for FF, preferably at least a constant f4, if not a constant f2.8.... I am expecting a Pentax FF body this year, again, if I reading the tea leaves correctly. At some point, I expect either to shift to it or to again have two bodies.
02-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 8-16 continued to be listed on the SIgma website throughout all last year even though it was listed as 'out of stock'. If you selected the Pentax mount it would let you order it as a backorder. When I contacted SIgma last fall they said that it had not been discontinued, but since the demand for the Pentax mount was so small that they would only order up a production run when they received enough backorders to make it feasible. If this is in fact the case, once this batch runs out the Pentax version will probably fall back to backorder status once again.
02-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I've noticed that B&H often list out of stock items as discontinued, then they show up again. How many times has the adapter K been listed as discontinued on B&H?
02-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, after a quick search, I couldn't find this lens available new for any mount in Japan. It looks like the case with the 70mm macro, where the lens is being discontinued for all mounts, not specifically K-mount.