Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #406
Veteran Member

Stavri, have you actually looked at fullsize images? I don't say the lens is not sharp, I say those pictures are not focused properly (the only one that is, is the second one).

03-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #407
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Is it calibrated? I mean, all these pictures are more or less front focused... Do you have any shots that are 100% in focus?
Not calibrated, not edited. I did test AF speed and sharpness. All taken with AF-C. I didn't post the pics to win an award for best picture.

---------- Post added 03-28-15 at 06:21 PM ----------

And its handheld during action and constant movement. If you think you do a better job with this heavy lenses, be my guest
03-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #408
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Not calibrated, not edited. I did test AF speed and sharpness. All taken with AF-C. I didn't post the pics to win an award for best picture.

---------- Post added 03-28-15 at 06:21 PM ----------

And its handheld during action and constant movement. If you think you do a better job with this heavy lenses, be my guest
Right.. this isn't an MTF lab test but an out in public series of action shots. It seems to hold up very well.

That said, you might want to test it for front or back focusing in a controlled environment just to see if your copy has any.
03-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Right.. this isn't an MTF lab test but an out in public series of action shots. It seems to hold up very well.

That said, you might want to test it for front or back focusing in a controlled environment just to see if your copy has any.
You also have to remember, that this is a pre-product lense, not a finished product. Today was just first test of many

03-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #410
Veteran Member

I didn't post the pics to win an award for best picture.
But you post it to show the lens IQ and focusing speed, so that's why I'm wondering why you got such low hit rate and my first thought was front focus - did you test for it?
03-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #411
Veteran Member

But you post it to show the lens IQ, so that's why I'm wondering why you got such low hit rate and my first thought was front focus - did you test for it?
My thought was just to show straight out of camera. Not deliver perfect images. Its first time i test it. But if its pleases you more, i won't post any more pictures of the test. Just show perfect ones when i use the finished lenses at my work later on
03-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #412
Veteran Member

My thought was just to show straight out of camera. Not deliver perfect images.
That's completely understood. I did not expect "perfect images", just focused ones. So basically you say that this is a burst of consecutive images and in your opinion low hit rate is just the K-3's fault?
But if its pleases you more, i won't post any more pictures of the test.
You got me wrong, but whatever... :roll:

03-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #413
Veteran Member

That's completely understood. I did not expect "perfect images", just focused ones. So basically you say that this is a burst of consecutive images and in your opinion low hit rate is just the K-3's fault?
You got me wrong, but whatever... :roll:
I thought it would be best to show a "burst"..Im shure i could pick out sharper ones (better focused) 1 by 1 during the day. But since the AF speed was most on my mind today, i did it this way. Its a heavy lense and it was handheld. I was standing in the snow and was freezing cold..shaking and wet on my feet..It is not the K-3's fault..I also see now, that the shake reduction was turned off. haha! So all those combinations, makes it my fault. And i did read you wrong at first..sorry
03-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #414
HavelockV

Not calibrated, not edited.
Remove the pictures and dial in some AF fine adjustment for the pre production lens in the camera to correct minor frontfocussing, e.g. something like -4 should do the trick.
Rule #22 – "When in Doubt, Know Your Way Out."

Otherwise the whiners and trolls will feast on you like a ghoul. (Actually I think it's zombies who have no brain and eat brains, isnt it? So probaly no ghouls, more zombies in forums)

Ever watched the movie Zombieland with Woody Harrelson?
Have fun with the lens and rule #32 "Enjoy the Little things".

PS: Do not shoot Bill Murray with the lens.
03-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #415
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
Remove the pictures and dial in some AF fine adjustment for the pre production lens in the camera to correct minor frontfocussing, e.g. something like -4 should do the trick.
Rule #22 – "When in Doubt, Know Your Way Out."

Otherwise the whiners and trolls will feast on you like a ghoul. (Actually I think it's zombies who have no brain and eat brains, isnt it? So probaly no ghouls, more zombies in forums)

Ever watched the movie Zombieland with Woody Harrelson?
Have fun with the lens and rule #32 "Enjoy the Little things".

PS: Do not shoot Bill Murray with the lens.
I see I did an error now. The SR was turned off on this K-3..So standing in snow, cold and wet, taking these pictures without SR? haha..So its my bad..He didn't troll..i was reading wrong
03-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #416
Veteran Member

Jaad75... Just be quiet until the lens is released for everyones sake. So that all we who is gona boy this lens can judge the images. We dont need your input at the moment
03-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Jaad75... Just be quiet until the lens is released for everyones sake. So that all we who is gona boy this lens can judge the images. We dont need your input at the moment
He had a point. I see know, that it could have been in better focus. But if you think about the fact, that these was taken handheld in the cold without SR turned on, you can only imagine how good it will be with SR on! Will redo a AF speed test with SR on and with monopod
03-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #418
Veteran Member

I thought it would be best to show a "burst"..
For action shots it's always a good idea. I was just surprised - I would expect this lens/body combination to be better than that, knowing how the K-3 works with Sigma or even with DA*200.
Its a heavy lense and it was handheld. I was standing in the snow and was freezing cold..shaking and wet on my feet..
That explains a lot as well. But I would test for FF anyway.
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Just be quiet until the lens is released for everyones sake.
I'm not saying there is something wrong with the lens - calibrating for FF/BF is perfectly normal thing, I do it with every single lens I have.
03-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #419
Veteran Member

For action shots it's always a good idea. I was just surprised - I would expect this lens/body combination to be better than that, knowing how the K-3 works with Sigma or even with DA*200.
As i mentioned, i did the mistake by not having the SR switched on haha! So all these combinatons today, makes it my fault. Not the K-3
03-28-2015, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #420
Pentaxian

There is much to criticize about the photos; this is a tough thing to shoot and if you are not doing it regularly the results will not be satisfying. I'm certain if kenspo did this a few times a week for a month, the results would be much better. Not a criticism, that is reality. Shooting moving subjects in marginal light is challenging and the keep rate is low even for someone who is good.

The depth of field is narrow, when in focus it is nice and sharp, the out of focus is soft and pleasant. The first one it looks like the ball is in focus, the second the player moved into the focus region. Not sure of the settings for the AF, nor the circumstances of the shot; a quick pan to get the scene in the view and shoot possibly. The 3rd the action seemed to move past the focus region and the 4th it caught up, the 5th needed more depth of field to capture the whole action scene.

It may be front focus, more than likely it is the difficulty of keeping up with the action. I don't care who you are, to pick up a lens and body and shoot scenes that are not your usual shooting situation will end up with some disappointment. Especially if your subjects are moving around very quickly.

Stopping down would cover many sins, but wouldn't show what the lens can do wide open.

I notice you posted shots with the 150-450 as well. I don't know, it takes me a month or more to get decent results out of any lens purchase I make. To try two in one day in a challenging shooting situation is beyond my capabilities.

I appreciate these shots, they are real shooting situations, right out of the body showing what resulted. I know how many shots I throw away.

Last edited by derekkite; 03-28-2015 at 11:39 AM.