Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #421
mee
Veteran Member

Thinking about it.. all this crap from excitedly just wanting to share a few photos.. I think the internet has warped big society's mind into thinking we're each king and all things must be done according to our ways. People will pick you apart these days for sharing anything.

03-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #422
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I appreciate these shots, they are real shooting situations, right out of the body showing what resulted. I know how many shots I throw away.
Thank you

That was my plan today. First time shooting soccer, lenses straight out of the bag + + +
But i did my mistakes today. The lenses is veeeery heavy, so i maybe should have used a monopod. It was wet and cold in the snow..and now i see the SR was turned off But all errors today, was my mistakes, not the K-3 or lense. But i still feel it was ok to post them. I will do some better planned testings later the coming days. But the most important thing from today, is that the 70-200 is so damn fast to use

---------- Post added 03-28-15 at 07:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thinking about it.. all this crap from excitedly just wanting to share a few photos.. I think the internet has warped big society's mind into thinking we're each king and all things must be done according to our ways. People will pick you apart these days for sharing anything.
Hehe..im ready for it..Its a hazard of doing thing that im not used to on daily basis
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #423
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Stavri, have you actually looked at fullsize images? I don't say the lens is not sharp, I say those pictures are not focused properly (the only one that is, is the second one).
On the scale of difficulty "action pictures" of sports sit at the top of the list, with BIF, wildlife and so on. You need to invest in a lot of accessories and years of experience to minimize user error and perfect the shots. To me the submitted shots (given the poor overcast lighting conditions are very good-excellent)

Some opinion on auto focus performance. The AF algorithms in lenses from Canon and Nikon don't try to nail perfect focus teach time, in the equation where the variables are speed and absolute focus accuracy the speed variable holds more weight then the perfect focus variable by a large degree. Modern AF lenses especially in action photography try to freeze the action within a acceptable tolerance that's their PRIORITY, not the "count you eyelashes in every picture" kinda of focusing. Arguably (we have had this conversation before in the forum) Pentax algorithms are optimized towards better focus at the expense of speed. This is one of the reasons why pentax lenses seem indecisive and hunt more then canonikons lenses. In lens talk Canonikon lenses tell you each time...."don't you worry brah,....i got this, every ef'in time...(fistbump)".............while Pentax lenses go..." let me double check, make sure I really got this...."

Last edited by Stavri; 03-28-2015 at 03:34 PM.
03-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If that were true, major retailers would not list them as "Discontinued". They would list them as "Out of Stock".
Wonder why almost all retailers have it available in France then and why you can get it easily in US. That's may be more a problem of your country/importator than anything else.

If you actually went the lense, it is easy enough to choose a seller from europe, japan or us that would ship to you.

03-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #425
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
On the scale of difficulty "action pictures" of sports sit at the top of the list, with BIF, wildlife and so on. You need to invest in a lot of accessories and years of experience to minimize user error and perfect the shots. To me the submitted shots (given the poor overcast lighting conditions are very good-excellent)

Some opinion on auto focus performance. The AF algorithms in lenses from Canon and Nikon don't try to nail perfect focus teach time, in the equation where the variables are speed and absolute focus accuracy the speed variable holds more weight then the perfect focus variable by a large degree. Modern AF lenses especially in action photography try to freeze the action within a acceptable tolerance that's their PRIORITY, not the "count you eyelashes in every picture" kinda of focusing. Arguably (we have had this conversation before in the forum) Pentax algorithms are screwed towards superior focus at the expense of speed. This is one of the reasons why pentax lenses seem indecisive and hunt more then canonikons lenses. In lens talk Canonikon lenses tell you each time...."don't you worry brah,....i got this, every ef'in time...(fistbump)".............while Pentax lenses go..." let me double check, make sure I really go this...."
I'am with you, with kenspo and a bit with the troller. The photos weren't perfect, sure but there where good enough except maybe the first from a good print anyway. The lighting is soso the fake grass is a material that is terrible for bokeh anyway etc... You can't expect miracle from a very difficult shooting.

Kenspo will need many tries and quite some time to be accustomed to the lense, that's logical and he tested AF... Not sharpness Otherwise we would see a landscape shoot taken on a tripod. I wonder too what is the effect of shutter speed? What would 1/1500 or 1/2000 give... I know from my little experience I had far better result at 1/1500 on some actions shoots than at 1/800...
03-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #426
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I don't see even one that is focused properly. And those sharpening artefacts... :roll:
Maybe you should post something similar focussed better so we cans what you see, before you start laughing...
03-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #427
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My recommendation was to place the setup a tripod with a ball head (or preferably Gimbal head) for better support. That should remove any weight from the system and let the user focus on getting the shots.....

03-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #428
Veteran Member

He didnt troll at all. I know what he meant. I know they are not perfect, that was not my intention either. But they still could have been better. I took the pictures handheld in the cold..the 70-200 is HEAVY! It looked VERY sharp on my backscreen..I see now that its not..I even forgot to turn on the SR..so all my small mistakes, did do that it didn't turn out as good as it could and should be. But i still think it was correct of me to post them
03-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
He didnt troll at all. I know what he meant. I know they are not perfect, that was not my intention either. But they still could have been better. I took the pictures handheld in the cold..the 70-200 is HEAVY! It looked VERY sharp on my backscreen..I see now that its not..I even forgot to turn on the SR..so all my small mistakes, did do that it didn't turn out as good as it could and should be. But i still think it was correct of me to post them
Yeah sure, there no issues man I think we all appreciate your feedback !

You'll post more I guess and after some time, the last one will be stunning! I'am sure
03-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yeah sure, there no issues man I think we all appreciate your feedback !

You'll post more I guess and after some time, the last one will be stunning! I'am sure
Yes..will be some heavy testing of both new lenses the time to come
03-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thanks for posting. I see the potential in the shots as some are not bad at all, others as you say suffered from your cold hands. I use the Sigma 70-200 HSM OS and I find that at 200 I use a tripod as it is a heavy lens as well and my long shots suffer handheld.
03-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Thanks for posting. I see the potential in the shots as some are not bad at all, others as you say suffered from your cold hands. I use the Sigma 70-200 HSM OS and I find that at 200 I use a tripod as it is a heavy lens as well and my long shots suffer handheld.
This new 70-200 is 2-3 times more heavy then the Sigma one and cold combined with forgetting to turn on the shake reduction, it ended like it did..hehe..But more testing and pictures will come
03-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The last batch was December of 2012. There will be no more. There will probably be a replacement next year with at least new HD coatings, but it maybe a more significant update.

Don't put too much into a road map. The 1.4x Tele-converter appeared on every road map produced for 5-6 years before ever going into production. The D-FA 100mm Macro NEVER appeared on a road map prior to being released.
The Three Princesses are still listed in the official catalog on Ricoh Imaging Japan products website. Conversely, they're not listed in the discontinued section of Ricoh Imaging Japan.
03-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #434
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kenspo, I'm not sure SR would of been any benefit to you if you were using a high shutter speed.
03-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #435
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Kenspo, I'm not sure SR would of been any benefit to you if you were using a high shutter speed.
I would have to agree, you are shooting at 1/1000th of a second at near 70mm-80mm, rule of thumb would rule in favor of SR off.