Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #556
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,948
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The D-FA* 70-200mm F/2.8 and other lenses on the road map seem to be pretty direct competition. The first round of lenses seem to be "in their footsteps".

Hopefully they have some patience. It might take two or three years for the market to really react in a positive way. Sony thought they could take over the industry in 5 years and they failed miserably in the DSLR market.
They will need the "Holy trinity" to reach the pros..I was thinking more about everything else..the camera house and its features. There will be 3 zooms this year..maybe 1-2 more next year..And next year, we'll also see some new primes. Ricoh is doing things right by not going all in first day. They should have learned by Sony's mistakes..as they have gotten on of their former bosses

04-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #557
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,229
Do you know anything about "the camera house and its features"?
04-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #558
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,749
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They will need the "Holy trinity" to reach the pros..I was thinking more about everything else..the camera house and its features. There will be 3 zooms this year..maybe 1-2 more next year..And next year, we'll also see some new primes. Ricoh is doing things right by not going all in first day. They should have learned by Sony's mistakes..as they have gotten on of their former bosses
As a professional, what would you recommend that they do to compete with Canon/Nikon without following in their footsteps?
04-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #559
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,948
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
As a professional, what would you recommend that they do to compete with Canon/Nikon without following in their footsteps?
Make the camera house something special..With features the others doesn't have. Together with making the new optic so good, its worth dying for..haha But in total, there is no way they can compete with them, without doing something of the same..thats why they will also release 3-4 zooms, who also happens to be the biggest ones from the others..Like wide angle soon, normal zoom and telezoom in 2.8..

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do you know anything about "the camera house and its features"?
Maybe, maybe not..I can't share anything anyway

04-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #560
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 292
Kenspo,kenspo,kenspo
And what do you know about K-3ll ?
04-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #561
Pentaxian
dane.dawg's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,436
And please tell us what you know about the K-3II
04-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #562
Senior Member
afan137's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kyoto
Posts: 155
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
And please tell us what you know about the K-3II
I wish Pentax respond to Canon 7DII quickly. Remember there is also Samsung from behind with their NX-1.
Don't let them taking the crown of the pro-apsc body for too long, and at the same time sink Nikon's boat immediately.

This is a big chance to make pentax more prominent, if they release K-3II this year with specs similar or better than 7DII and NX-1.
04-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #563
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,749
QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
I wish Pentax respond to Canon 7DII quickly. Remember there is also Samsung from behind with their NX-1.
Don't let them taking the crown of the pro-apsc body for too long, and at the same time sink Nikon's boat immediately.

This is a big chance to make pentax more prominent, if they release K-3II this year with specs similar or better than 7DII and NX-1.
There is not a lot about the 7DII that is better than the K-3. The Nx-1 is a cool piece of technology, but I don't think its really competing with the K-3.


Sony did just release a new 24MP APS-C sensor (IMX271) but the main difference appears to be the frame rate at 19fps.

04-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #564
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,245
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Kenspo,kenspo,kenspo
And what do you know about K-3ll ?
Geez. This is torture

Exciting times, indeed. Love this.
04-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #565
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,948
Hmm!
04-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #566
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,074
Well I hope Pentax will not forget the APS-C lines despite their intention to compete with the pro line. I still would like to see a K-50 substitute with a battery grip. I've always been a sucker for battery grips. And of course the K-3II. Please Pentax, make it soon.
04-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #567
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,948
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Well I hope Pentax will not forget the APS-C lines
They won't..No worries.
04-09-2015, 02:58 AM - 3 Likes   #568
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
I wish Pentax respond to Canon 7DII quickly. Remember there is also Samsung from behind with their NX-1.
Don't let them taking the crown of the pro-apsc body for too long, and at the same time sink Nikon's boat immediately.

This is a big chance to make pentax more prominent, if they release K-3II this year with specs similar or better than 7DII and NX-1.
Ouch,the Samsung is a toy.
I used it on Photokina and at real live,plastic stuff in a metal jacket,autofocus continue like a joke,completely a nice camera but nothin like a 7 ll or K-3
And the new 3 will have things what the Canon doesn't have,what we have today is the better sensor and more body quality,better sealing and much more better AF C in lowest light. 👍


Best regards
04-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #569
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,543
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
We'll even need a newer aps-c or the FF to see the potential of the new lenses. You won't get 100% out of the new 70-200 with the K-3..But stuff is happening behind closed doors..
Hopefully the FF will. But if the K-3 doesn't make full use of the new lenses, I would expect the lens to move so quickly that the lens moves past the focus point without registering that it was in focus, and then having to come back. You see this in old screw drive lenses that are 6.3 or slower, the speed of focus is geared up but there isn't enough light to look focus at that speed and the lens hunts.. SO, I'm wondering if you're seeing anything like that that would indicate the speed of focus is stressing the AF system?

I guess in the FF system they could bump the voltage to the new lenses to make them faster and have a recognition chip so the it doesn't fry the SDM lenses, but apart from more power to the motors, I'm not sure how the lens would focus faster than it does now. The only factor that could be different would be the camera's ability to recognize when the image is in focus. If it's not missing focus and hunting, I'm not sure how it could be any different. The .1 second focus speed on a D610 is based on a very short movement when focussing the lens. The .5 second focus speed on a K-3 is in part based on a much longer distance. There are only two ways around the slow focus speed. Move the lens element faster, or shorten the distance it has to move to get from close to infinity. Am I missing something?

In both cases the AF system has less time to recognize that the desired point is in focus. But just improving the AF focus lock system in the camera can't make up for slow focussing lenses.

Or in other words, unless Pentax starts making lenses designed with higher gearing or less distance to travel in focusing, I'm not sure how any improvement in the AF module is going to help. Most of the time, the AF system is waiting for the lens to get to the point where things are in focus. That's what I'd like to see improved i these lenses. If it takes the AF system a few years to catch up that's fine with me. To me, seeing a bit of hunting out the gate would be good thing. It would mean the lens focusses quickly.. and the cameras AF could be improved to make it lock focus more reliably in the future.

If the K-3 doesn't hunt, and you're still dealing with a slow focusing lens... how is there going to be improvement? It doesn't make any sense to me to release an "improved lens" that focusses at 1/5th the speed of the competition.

Last edited by normhead; 04-09-2015 at 07:43 AM.
04-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #570
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,948
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hopefully the FF will. But if the K-3 doesn't make full use of the new lenses, I would expect the lens to move so quickly that the lens moves past the focus point without registering that it was in focus, and then having to come back. You see this in old screw drive lenses that are 6.3 or slower, the speed of focus is geared up but there isn't enough light to look focus at that speed and the lens hunts.. SO, I'm wondering if you're seeing anything like that that would indicate the speed of focus is stressing the AF system?

I guess in the FF system they could bump the voltage to the new lenses to make them faster and have a recognition chip so the it doesn't fry the SDM lenses, but apart from more power to the motors, I'm not sure how the lens would focus faster than it does now. The only factor that could be different would be the camera's ability to recognize when the image is in focus. If it's not missing focus and hunting, I'm not sure how it could be any different. The .1 second focus speed on a D610 is based on a very short movement when focussing the lens. The .5 second focus speed on a K-3 is in part based on a much longer distance. There are only two ways around the slow focus speed. Move the lens element faster, or shorten the distance it has to move to get from close to infinity. Am I missing something? In both cases the AF system has less time to recognize that the desired point is in focus. But just improving the AF focus lock system in the camera can't make up for slow focussing lenses.
Hmm..its hard for me to answer this 100%..Since im still pretty new to Pentax, and never used anything beside K-3 and 645Z..So it is maybe more a feeling i have..i will have other cameras to test on soon (new ones, not older ones), then i'll see if i was correct or not.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
100mm, 70-200mm, 70-200mm f2.8, couple, dfa, f/2.8, f2.8, fa, fa*80-200/2.8, front element, hd, hd pentax-d fa, holland, lens, lenses, macro, models, mounts, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-d, rings, shots, sigma, smc, sony, star, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR & DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM jurysi Sold Items 11 09-17-2012 05:27 PM
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM vs Pentax FA* 80-200mm F2.8? vectrln Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 07-27-2011 07:41 AM
★★NOW IN STOCK★★Pentax K-5 Limited Edition★★ Chuck-B&H Ask B&H Photo! 11 03-31-2011 05:29 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma APO EX 70-200mm/f2.8, Pentax FA 35mm/f2, Tamron 28-75mm/f2.8 chemxaj Sold Items 15 06-26-2008 06:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top