Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #631
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe that is a complete statement all the way up to broadcast television news and fairly complete for Hollywood cinematic standard.

When you broadcast you pay the bandwidth you use. And the more you use for a chanel, the less remain available for the others. Often "HD" is still 1K, not even 2K and the compression rate is too high. To have 4K really available everywhere is at least 10-15 years away.

As if one need it, well if you want to crop your movie maybe but 2K is already really good and in most situation good enough.

They already plan for 8K but really at that point I think no one would ever see the difference.

As for professionnal movies, the budgets are not the same. The viewing size and intended use neither.

04-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #632
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Anyone taking video seriously would be better off moving to Sony, Panasonic or Canon. Video is simply a novelty for Fuji, Olympus, & Ricoh. Even Nikon is limited in what they offer. The D750 is the first Nikon where HD video wasn't an after thought.
That's a logic I don't understand. So, you advise people who wants to make video with their DSLR to move to other brands. Why? Because not everybody makes video capable cameras? I hope you're joking.

The references to TV stations, or Hollywood, is out of place, IMO. Because their is Youtube, and Vimeo, and Flixxy, and who knows how many other video sites for common people. And Youtube is now 4K capable. I'm rather old, but I don't look at Hollywood (or others) movies or TV as much as at Youtube or Vimeo

Maybe Pentax is looking to the general trend, and not to the preferences of some people who didn't want video on their cameras.
04-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I know..and i agree..and i hope too Not matter what, there are exciting times ahead...not long until next big news
How long is 'not long'? Are we talking hours, days or weeks?
04-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@ Nicholas06 @JimmyDranox I wasn't limiting my comment to prosumer dSLR - what I meant is even broadcast TV, both studio and remote, rely on Sony, Panasonic and Canon. Cinema I think there are more and better choices (Red?) but I don't know cinema very well.

I've written before that I know of a US broadcast network news division that tried to switch its remote 'Breaking' crews to Canon dSLR's. The videographers had a lot of trouble focusing, so they went back to Sony shoulder mount. Sony replaced RCA for Studio livecams a couple decades ago. etc. Pana and Canon are right there with Sony, but more for location shoots for news features and feature magazine shows, where the footage is scripted and edited pre-broadcast.

At least at this one network they've standardized on Sony but use a Canon color profile emulator in post.

04-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #635
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@ Nicholas06 @JimmyDranox I wasn't limiting my comment to prosumer dSLR - what I meant is even broadcast TV, both studio and remote, rely on Sony, Panasonic and Canon.
But Super35 (or bigger) sensor cameras have not much to do with a broadcast and so on. It's needed for more "artistic" approach (independent movies, low budget videoclips, commercials etc.) and that's where the VDSLR use is pretty common and where one could use Pentax VDSLRs as well if the video quality was up to the standards.
04-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #636
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vcollerp Quote
So wink for us if the camera house is Jun/Jul.
Rumors have pegged its release in October....
04-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #637
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
That's a logic I don't understand. So, you advise people who wants to make video with their DSLR to move to other brands. Why? Because not everybody makes video capable cameras? I hope you're joking.
What I said was that people who are serious about videography should look to other brands that offer better support. If you want to make home movies your kids running though sprinklers then Pentax if fine. But if you are serious about audio/video then Pentax is not the best brand to start with or use. Pentax had an EXCELLENT opportunity to build 4K or excellent HD codec into the 645z. They could have made huge waves in the HD video industry, but instead they through some pretty average HD video specifications into it. They did just enough so they could advertise HD on the spec sheet.

Look at it this way. If you wanted to get into underwater photography, I would probably tell you to look at a brand other than Pentax. There is not enough support in the industry for underwater housings and equipment. You will have a better experience and get better results with other brands of equipment.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Maybe Pentax is looking to the general trend, and not to the preferences of some people who didn't want video on their cameras.
I could care less if they add 4K. Still photography is benefitting from the hardware advancements that 4K brings and that is great. I own a Sony A7II which has excellent HD video capabilities, or so the review sites say.

Ricoh buys its hardware from Sony and Fujitsu. Both of those companies are building video into their hardware and Ricoh is going to evolve with that hardware, but I don't see Ricoh putting a lot of focus on 4K in the near future simply because they don't have the ecosystem for it. Maybe that will change. Its a pity they didn't put serious HD or 4K capabilities on the 645z. That would have been a game changer.

04-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #638
Veteran Member

We might have to wait on the K3 ii/s for 4K videos, unless that "something special" Ricoh has been touting in interviews is indeed 4K recording on the new FF....
04-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #639
Pentaxian

I can't even think about filming my kids running around in full HD. I usually just use a much lower resolution. I imagine most moms/dads/granparents also don't want to bother with huge files that take hours to process in iMovie or WIndows MovieMaker...

But more power to you guys who take this video thing much more seriously
04-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #640

Will the k3 and the new 70-200mm be fast enough to shoot lets say an NHL hockey game? Pentax has so much ground to gain just to come close to high iso and AF tracking. We need a 50+ point af system imo.
04-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #641
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harrisonww Quote
Will the k3 and the new 70-200mm be fast enough to shoot lets say an NHL hockey game? Pentax has so much ground to gain just to come close to high iso and AF tracking. We need a 50+ point af system imo.

The new AF motors are indeed fast enough. As fast as anything currently on the market. Can the K-3 track and process fast/accurately enough is the question. My guess is that we see a new K-3 with a new AF array.
04-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #642

What I said was that people who are serious about videography should look to other brands that offer better support. If you want to make home movies your kids running though sprinklers then Pentax if fine. But if you are serious about audio/video then Pentax is not the best brand to start with or use. Pentax had an EXCELLENT opportunity to build 4K or excellent HD codec into the 645z. They could have made huge waves in the HD video industry, but instead they through some pretty average HD video specifications into it. They did just enough so they could advertise HD on the spec sheet.

Look at it this way. If you wanted to get into underwater photography, I would probably tell you to look at a brand other than Pentax. There is not enough support in the industry for underwater housings and equipment. You will have a better experience and get better results with other brands of equipment.

I could care less if they add 4K. Still photography is benefitting from the hardware advancements that 4K brings and that is great. I own a Sony A7II which has excellent HD video capabilities, or so the review sites say.

Ricoh buys its hardware from Sony and Fujitsu. Both of those companies are building video into their hardware and Ricoh is going to evolve with that hardware, but I don't see Ricoh putting a lot of focus on 4K in the near future simply because they don't have the ecosystem for it. Maybe that will change. Its a pity they didn't put serious HD or 4K capabilities on the 645z. That would have been a game changer.
The issue with video in the 645z is line skipping, at 1080p the line skipping is going to be very visible regardless of the codec and bitrate. If they went up to 4k they could dramatically reduce this issue, but then throughput becomes so high that they need a completely new processing engine. Suddenly the 645z is 15% bigger and significantly heavier, not to mention more costly. If Pentax wants to get into the video market they need to take a cue from Black Magic. Make a camera thats built from the ground up to provide the highest data throughput, and the best video oriented sensor. However, this would go completely against their existing legacy and user base. If Pentax wants to fight in this market they can, but it will mean starting from nearly scratch with very little support from their current market. It can be done, and Black Magic has proved that, but I don't know if it makes sense.
For years I hoped Pentax would make a good video mode in their dslr's, when it got worse instead of better I went out and bought a BMPCC. I was amazed at how different the camera operates and how much better the video quality was than any dslr I'd seen. I can still use my Pentax lenses, and its small enough to be hardly noticeable in the camera bag. This is a better solution. If you care about the quality of the video you need a camera designed for video, as well as a host of accessories like mics, steadycam, follow focus, etc. The convergence of the two is a fad driven by amateurs. I'm not saying its going away, just that if you're serious then you want a precision tool, not an amalgam of mismatched technologies.
04-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #643
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eliallan Quote
The issue with video in the 645z is line skipping, at 1080p the line skipping is going to be very visible regardless of the codec and bitrate. If they went up to 4k they could dramatically reduce this issue, but then throughput becomes so high that they need a completely new processing engine. Suddenly the 645z is 15% bigger and significantly heavier, not to mention more costly.
I believe I saw where the Samsung NX-1 is reading the entire sensor (28MP-no skipping) 60 times per-second. The 645 is already bigger than it needs to be.
04-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #644

I believe I saw where the Samsung NX-1 is reading the entire sensor (28MP-no skipping) 60 times per-second. The 645 is already bigger than it needs to be.
I haven't seen any footage from the NX1 but if that is the case it ought to be quite good. It also means the processor is off the charts fast. I've never even held a Samsung camera, but if I was looking to change systems I think I'd be pretty intrigued by their whole lineup.
04-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
... Ricoh may well withhold these intentionally from the APSC line, to bully as much Pentaxians as possible into the more profitable FF line. We don't know yet.
I see you're as optimistic and enthusiastic about Ricoh's policies on here as you are on dslr-forum.de