Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I for one certainly didn't lose interest in the DA 20-40 Ltd
when I saw the early ones having problems,
and my (good) copy from the second crop is now my most used lens.

It takes a while for the line workers to learn how to assemble a new lens.
Why deprive yourself? Just wait for things to settle down.
Or, as I suspect may be happening, the manufacturer doesn't ship until the teething problems are sorted out. The 16-85 seems fine.

04-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #737
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Or, as I suspect may be happening, the manufacturer doesn't ship until the teething problems are sorted out. The 16-85 seems fine.
Well, the most recent review here is not encouraging:

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really wish there was a camera that would have a "kid mode" for auto focus tracking. Tracking assumes some kind of consistent behavior/movement, but a two year old doesn't do anything at all consistent and doesn't hold still for more than 2 and a half seconds.

The kid mode would really put Pentax on the map and kill Canon and Nikon sales.
I'd like a seven year old mode, that would make the camera release the shutter when my son is NOT making faces.
04-12-2015, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #739

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Nikon is so last year
I am a big Pentax fan, although I now use a D600 FF along the K-5. The news of a FF Pentax body is very welcome, but at this point I have to call big marketing BS.
I have not seen anything mind blowing in regards to the new 70-200mm FF lens; if anything it needs auto-focus fine tuning as presented in this thread. Where are the follow up images
that promise any corrections in that regard? The FF Pentax up to this point is vaporware, so there is no correlation as to what this 70-200mm can do with the new body.

And once all the hardware is available for sale, the slaughter can begin. There will always be someone that can point out small/minor deficiencies in any given system.
As an ambassador, I would be cautious against "juvenile" and premature name calling and taunting. MFG's occasionally manage to leapfrog the competition, once certain technical thresholds
are threatened and force their hand. I "so" remember when the K-5 was released as the latest and greatest, but now it is such a "last year" (but still very capable) camera. Same with just about any other brand/model.

I think it is time to gather in the reigns a bit and sober up.

04-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #740
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
There 4 fair reviews and 1 (the latest) that is pretty low. The guy begin to explain he was not satisfied with the iso he would got on a dull day due to apperture. I mean like if using iso 200-800 would cause any issue. It is not like the max apperture was unknown. Worse he compare it to 18-135 that obviously has the same kind of apperture so this doesn't look honest. One should know anyway that on a dull day there less contrast, less light, less colors and that overall the picture will look worse. This can be perfect lighting for a portrait or something like that, but for many things this just look bad.

After he give 4 to aberations and 3 to value and 5 to sharpness but this seems to be a bit unjustified or more let say not in line with the typicall PentaxForum notion where anyway bellow 8 is really really bad.

Nobody anyway seems to speak they had a deffective lense.
04-13-2015, 12:48 AM - 3 Likes   #741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
I am a big Pentax fan, although I now use a D600 FF along the K-5. The news of a FF Pentax body is very welcome, but at this point I have to call big marketing BS.
I have not seen anything mind blowing in regards to the new 70-200mm FF lens; if anything it needs auto-focus fine tuning as presented in this thread. Where are the follow up images
that promise any corrections in that regard? The FF Pentax up to this point is vaporware, so there is no correlation as to what this 70-200mm can do with the new body.

And once all the hardware is available for sale, the slaughter can begin. There will always be someone that can point out small/minor deficiencies in any given system.
As an ambassador, I would be cautious against "juvenile" and premature name calling and taunting. MFG's occasionally manage to leapfrog the competition, once certain technical thresholds
are threatened and force their hand. I "so" remember when the K-5 was released as the latest and greatest, but now it is such a "last year" (but still very capable) camera. Same with just about any other brand/model.

I call BS on your post. Look up the definition of 'vaporware' and then read official statements from Ricoh regarding the said product. Regarding the bolded part, looks like the minor deficiences slaughter already started before hardware is even available. By you. The K5 was launched already in 2010 so calling it 'so last year' would in fact be a compliment. Perhaps you could use some sobering up as well.
04-13-2015, 02:32 AM - 4 Likes   #742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote

Obviously there is a need to see more photos to see how this lens and the 150-450 perform. The need for focus tuning is not a plus or a minus, it just is. Most of my lenses didn't need that, but a couple do. Once again, no big deal.

The question is two fold. What is the image quality -- sharpness and out of focus rendering and contrast and aberrations -- both wide open and stopped down. On the minimal images posted so far, it looks pretty good. The second question is with regard to speed of auto focus. This is one of those things where it will take some time to sort out how fast this lens is in the real world. The Sigma HSM lenses have pretty fast auto focus motors, but they aren't necessarily that much faster in the real world than, say, the Tamron 70-200.

We will see, but I certainly think your post is unwarranted.

Back in the old days John Carlson used to post here periodically, but he got attacked enough that he quit posting. Kenspo is certainly going to be posting positive remarks with regard to Pentax gear, that's understood, but he shouldn't be attacked, unless it is obvious that his credibility isn't there (so far it has been). The forum would be the worse if he didn't share his experiences and photos with regard to new gear that he is using that is currently available to the rest of us.

04-13-2015, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #743
Pentaxian

It is so funny that every thread goes up and down like people arguing of what is and could and should not be. Then little humour and atual images and real word wrestle. Again. Usually with wors...I like Pentax...my latest model is K-5...I still use it,BUT...

I think that there is no need for that, but it still every time emerges. And yes, a request of more pictures, or it does not excist. At internet anyone can ask or say what ever. But seems to me that Kenspo has really put him self here, with pictures of him..! So we know who and what. And pictures of which he has taken. So I really wonder of this critic.
And for god's sake remember litlle bit of humour or sense of that is not a bad thing.

As we know there will be a lot of ansvers and baffle so I sill not go on more on this matter.
All in all thank you Kenspo, and keep on teasing us. It is great to have REAL rumours.
04-13-2015, 04:32 AM   #744
Veteran Member

Thank you so much repaap i will continue to give some teasers as long as you guys want me too.
Please Do Kenspo , Loving your shots so Far , I sold my Sigma 70-200 HSM II Macro to pave the way for the New DFA 70-200 F2.8.
04-13-2015, 04:35 AM   #745

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I call BS on your post. Look up the definition of 'vaporware' and then read official statements from Ricoh regarding the said product. Regarding the bolded part, looks like the minor deficiences slaughter already started before hardware is even available. By you. The K5 was launched already in 2010 so calling it 'so last year' would in fact be a compliment. Perhaps you could use some sobering up as well.
Let me retract the term "vaporware". That was a bad choice of words. What I mean is that the camera is not on the market yet, i.e., that everything written about it is speculation.
Great, that is part of the fun. I am excited about the possibilities, to the point of holding off buying a D750, as my D600 is nearing the end of its shutter life-cycle. I have enough Pentax
& Pentax compatible glass to entertain the notion of getting a Pentax FF. But I say it as I see it. The new 70-200 does not convince me yet. OK, I'll go and hide again until the end of the year
or early next spring.
04-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Please Do Kenspo , Loving your shots so Far , I sold my Sigma 70-200 HSM II Macro to pave the way for the New DFA 70-200 F2.8.
Good choice! I have only used this Sigma on a Nikon, but still..The new DFA 70-200 F2.8 is so awesome. The speed, sharpness..everything. So enjoy when you get it!
04-13-2015, 04:36 AM - 2 Likes   #747
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The only real rumour is that there will be am FF camera from Pentax of unknown specs.
And to make themselves more important and to kill some time, kids around are making up all other stories.
When it has been officially stated, this is not a rumour anymore in my book...

Also the lenses have been anounced and specs are known.

I didn't see anybody here stating any funny specs of any future hardware except you. At worst it was said that Pentax was aware they need to focus on AF speed and are trying to improve this. As worst it was said that Pentax a camera maker would produce new camera. Nothing that need to be concerned of.

As for the lense, you can buy one so your are the first to have one when available and put your own review and tests if you think kenspo is not reliable enough to test it. Honestly without saying anything bad of anybody I think kenspo look at least as capable as you...

Except he refrain to say crap.

I can understand an objective to upset him, make him say crap so maybe you can force the moderator to remove his post but I would see that and I think many others as pretty bad practice from you and a pretty unproductive one except if you have yourself an agenda.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-13-2015 at 04:48 AM.
04-13-2015, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The only real rumour is that there will be am FF camera from Pentax of unknown specs.
And to make themselves more important and to kill some time, kids around are making up all other stories.
That's not a rumor, but an official announcement - rumors don't have press releases:
RICOH IMAGING to exhibit a reference product atCP<sup>+</sup> 2015 camera and imaging show?RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 13-04-15 at 02:42 PM ----------

Thank you so much repaap i will continue to give some teasers as long as you guys want me too.
Kenspo, please do so - without endangering your position by revealing too much, of course.

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-13-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Supposedly I shouldn't hurt poor Uluru's feeling...
04-13-2015, 04:45 AM - 3 Likes   #749
Veteran Member

Let me put the matter this way; I have said another camera will come in good time BEFORE the FF. So then we can see if I'm only are what you called me, "to make themselves more important and to kill some time, kids around are making up all other stories" or not.
04-13-2015, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #750
Veteran Member

Good choice! I have only used this Sigma on a Nikon, but still..The new DFA 70-200 F2.8 is so awesome. The speed, sharpness..everything. So enjoy when you get it!
I would truly like to understand how the FA*80-200 performs against the DFA*70-200 (I have the former and would probably not get the latter on that basis).

Such comparison with images would be great to see.