Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #976
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Photozone seems to not test anything more from Pentax.
Agreed but it doesn't change a thing. Photozone is a very (very) small structure, whatever we think about their tests, and Photozone DID some (at least two) Pentax lenses retest.

04-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #977
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
What I measured from one of videos available, it's 0.5 s
Maaaaan...thatīs soooo slow.....damn Pentax,go to Hell
Best regards

---------- Post added 23-04-15 at 01:53 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Photozone seems to not test anything more from Pentax.
Photozone is testing if you send your lens to them.
I will ask Pentax to give the 2 lenses for a little test.
Maybe it works.
Best regards
04-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Comoon guys...two days with cero posts...over THE most interesting lens since I don't know how far back ;D

Seriously; do you have any more info about your test Ken?
Sharpness, handling, AF or any other? Or did Ricoh prohibit you to give out any info or opinion?

Cheers
04-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #979

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Comoon guys...two days with cero posts...over THE most interesting lens since I don't know how far back ;D

Sharpness, handling, AF or any other? Or did Ricoh prohibit you to give out any info or opinion?

Cheers

Maybe the lens doesnt live up to the early hype.
Sharpness color and AF speed, Hopefully fast and sharp or my benz is getting new wheels this summer instead.

04-26-2015, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #980
Veteran Member

Cheers
I think he has already returned the lens to Ricoh. Originally it was a mid March release, then mid April. Now I think we are looking at late May or June. Ricoh might me revising the firmware for AF.
04-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #981
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think he has already returned the lens to Ricoh. Originally it was a mid March release, then mid April. Now I think we are looking at late May or June. Ricoh might me revising the firmware for AF.
Alternatively, Distributor demand is so high they can't meet initial orders, so they're building inventory before they start shipping.

Every speculative explanation is . . . . speculative.
04-26-2015, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #982
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Alternatively, Distributor demand is so high they can't meet initial orders, so they're building inventory before they start shipping.

Every speculative explanation is . . . . speculative.

You already have your pre-order in, right? You're a pretty big Pentax "brand" guy and if you haven't pre-ordered what makes you think lots of other have?

While possible, I don't think its very probable.
I would guess there are not a lot of preorders for a couple of reasons.
1. Its a FF lens and there is not FF body.
2. Its $2,300 and people will wait for reviews
3. Pentax users are notoriously cheap and this is an expensive lens. How many of your lenses did you pre-order? How many were used or on sale?
4. There are simply not a lot of K-mount users who have a real need for this lens who don't already own the Sigma or Tamron. The Sigma & Tamron owners will mostly wait until the lens has been reviewed to see if it is worth the upgrade. The Tamron is a good lens for the money.
5. Pentax users hate big heavy lenses. Small and compact is what has attracted many of the users to the brand. The D-FA* 70-200mm is bigger and heavier than the Canon/Nikon versions.

The D-FA* 150-450mm is a little more unique and will probably attract more K-mount buyers.

If demand has exceeded initial projections its because Ricoh had very low expectations and they didn't produce enough. As Kenspro has said, these lenses are designed for the "pro" market and there are not a lot of those left shooting Pentax exclusively. Until Ricoh releases the FF body and we can see how this lens performs on a FF, I wouldn't expect high volume sales of a $2,300 lens for a body that won't ship for 6 more months.

I hope that the delay has been because Ricoh is making extra sure every lens is excellent before they ship. It only takes a couple of bad high profile internet reviews.

04-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #983
Veteran Member

Cheers
No, I'm free to say what i feel about things. I sent back the pre-product lense before the FW update. I will wait until i have a finished lense on the Mark II before saying more atm
04-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #984
Pentaxian

"It should be noted, was announced on February 5 as well as Coming Soon "HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW" is, Yu Upon to ensure the performance and quality that is scheduled, the additional time to develop is doing. Soon release date decision, so I will again guidance, thank you for your patience while now."
This being said:
1. A 70-200 lens is very useful on APS-C; it doesn't require a FF camera
3. No, not "Pentax users" but "some Pentax users". And high-end products are not designed to appeal to - or be afforded by - everyone.

By the way, the 150-450 is the second best selling Pentax lens (and #57 for all brands) on kakaku.com. Some Pentaxians are not that cheap
04-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #985
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A 70-200 lens is very useful on APS-C; it doesn't require a FF camera
3. No, not "Pentax users" but "some Pentax users". And high-end products are not designed to appeal to - or be afforded by - everyone.
I have said this before. This lense is a piece of the plan to attract pros back over to Pentax. This + fast wideangle, 24-70, 70-200 and full frame, is part 1 of that plan And this is also the main part of my deal with Ricoh..work side by side with other pros, while using Pentax..to show them they are serious and back in the game!
04-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #986
Pentaxian

Indeed; to get pros over to Pentax, and to keep those of us wanting more than mid-level equipment. Not to keep their user base small and bargain-obsessed, yet their products are often judged by this assumption...
04-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #987
Veteran Member

They want to keep all!! Hehe..There is no way they will do less in the aps-c part of the company. Those people are the base for Pentax.
04-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #988
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

By the way, the 150-450 is the second best selling Pentax lens (and #57 for all brands) on kakaku.com. Some Pentaxians are not that cheap
i wish that they ship that lens over to Europa. Its still pre-order only
04-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #989
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They want to keep all!! Hehe..There is no way they will do less in the aps-c part of the company. Those people are the base for Pentax.
I didn't want to imply otherwise. Thing is, they don't make their strategy thinking "Oh well, those are all the Pentaxians left, no way to get new customers/people back, let's see what we can do before they die of old age and we're left with nothing"

The solution to many high-spending Pentaxians having left because they couldn't find the high end equipment they wanted is not to give up, but exactly what Ricoh Imaging is doing now: get the equipment on the market, get (some of) those people back, get new high-spending people. It might take a while, they might have to fight inertia and reluctance - but getting they're making the first and most important step.
04-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #990
Veteran Member

many people with no or little experince, often choose Nikon or Canon, because "that is what the pros use"..That is something we need to change. It is the amateurs and hobbiest that makes most income for a company. But its also as you say, that some need more/better gear beside the pros too. So i think Ricoh is doing the right things here. Nothing is turned over the night. Step by step