Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #991
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"It should be noted, was announced on February 5 as well as Coming Soon "HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW" is, Yu Upon to ensure the performance and quality that is scheduled, the additional time to develop is doing. Soon release date decision, so I will again guidance, thank you for your patience while now."
This being said:
1. A 70-200 lens is very useful on APS-C; it doesn't require a FF camera
3. No, not "Pentax users" but "some Pentax users". And high-end products are not designed to appeal to - or be afforded by - everyone.

By the way, the 150-450 is the second best selling Pentax lens (and #57 for all brands) on kakaku.com. Some Pentaxians are not that cheap
1. Yes. I know, but until we see how well it performs on a FF body, not a lot of people are going to drop $2,300 this lens. The Tamron is a great lens on APS-C for a fraction of the cost, size, weight and so is the DA* 60-250.

3. How about "most Pentax users". I've been very close to pre-ordering the lens, but until I see some reviews and pictures I'll hold off. I'm not a zoom shooter. The new Zeiss 85mm F/1.8 for my A7II might be my next lens purchase as I wait and see what Ricoh has coming and the quality of the new FF.

04-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #992
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
How about "most Pentax users". I've been very close to pre-ordering the lens, but until I see some reviews and pictures I'll hold off. I'm not a zoom shooter. The new Zeiss 85mm F/1.8 for my A7II might be my next lens purchase as I wait and see what Ricoh has coming and the quality of the new FF.
I'm not sure how you can be a spokesperson for "most Pentax users." Do you have shares in Ricoh? Otherwise, why do you care one iota about how appealing the new zooms are? What you spend your money on is your business. If Pentax doesn't give you want you want, buy something else. You don't need to justify your choice to me or anyone else.
04-26-2015, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #993
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm not sure how you can be a spokesperson for "most Pentax users." Do you have shares in Ricoh? Otherwise, why do you care one iota about how appealing the new zooms are? What you spend your money on is your business. If Pentax doesn't give you want you want, buy something else. You don't need to justify your choice to me or anyone else.

I'm not a spokesman nor am I trying to be. I'm making a generalized statement. I don't have to be a spokesman for that.

The reason I care is that I shoot K-mount and if the D-FA* is good enough (worth the size, weight, cost) I will buy it with the FF body.

If Pentax doesn't give me what I want, I will buy something else. That's pretty much a given.

Not trying to justify my choice to you, and I have no idea why you think I am.

There are a select number of high end and demanding users on this board who are not cheap. They know they are not cheap and have no reason to be offended. They know who they are and they are confident in what they do. They will buy the lens if it and the new FF body live up to the expectations.

Last edited by Winder; 04-26-2015 at 01:29 PM.
04-26-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #994
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selection on what ever lens and combo is what ever one likes. But this thread is about 70-200 coom lens.. Not zeiss 85/1.4 lens which posesses thigs that zoom has an zoom has lotta thing which that 85/1.4 does not have. No point. No reason to point out. You buy your camera and lens(zeiss) for lots a reasons but you don't buy a DFA*70-200 for many brands and you don't buy it to be 85/1.4 lens..so why bother put it up at here when no one has put anything up from future pentax FF and this combo.

As comparable as dfa 100/2.8 macro and what ever long fast lens.??! Or what ever else.

04-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #995
Veteran Member

There are a select number of high end and demanding users on this board who are not cheap. They know they are not cheap and have no reason to be offended. They know who they are and they are confident in what they do. They will buy the lens if it and the new FF body live up to the expectations.
That's an hypothesis. Mine is that i don't understand that why thoses that would have wanted this kind of expensive gear for year would have stayed Pentax. For me if you had the need for quite some time the most obvious solution was to find the solution in Canikon because they had it covered. It is not like the thing is cheaper/smaller. It is bigger and more expensive. But you don't even know the specs of the associated FF. If you don't like them you'll don't want to spedn 2300$ in advance.

So for sure we have a few old Pentaxian that will buy the 70-200 because they waited for a long time and didn't swtich or maybe because they decided to come back.

But to me this 70-200 will not be high volume sales. It will sell far less than the Nikon or Canon variant. As kenspo explain this is something they need to have to convince pro... Over several years they can convince people they are competitive, maybe even better than Canikon and then sales can go up. For that they are going to need several years of FF products godness, advertisement and so own. It will not happen overnight.
04-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #996
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
That's an hypothesis. Mine is that i don't understand that why thoses that would have wanted this kind of expensive gear for year would have stayed Pentax.
Technically speaking, that's not an hypothesis But I could think of some reasons:
- because they only recently started to want such expensive gear
- because until recently they could not afford it
- because until recently their rational thinking prevailed
- because they already have enough Pentax equipment so that jumping ship and replacing everything would be too expensive (even comparing to a 70-200 lens)
- because their Tamron/Sigma had just broken
- because they just like Pentax (ergonomics, etc)
etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But to me this 70-200 will not be high volume sales. It will sell far less than the Nikon or Canon variant.
Tell me one Pentax product which is selling as well as the Nikon or Canon variant

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-27-2015 at 12:25 AM.
04-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #997
Veteran Member

Tell me one Pentax product which is selling as well as the Nikon or Canon variant
Maybe the Pentax 55/1.4 vs Nikon 58/1.4! Mind you the pentax is less than half the cost

04-27-2015, 02:05 AM   #998
Pentaxian

Technically speaking, that's not an hypothesis But I could think of some reasons:
- because they only recently started to want such expensive gear
- because until recently they could not afford it
- because until recently their rational thinking prevailed
- because they already have enough Pentax equipment so that jumping ship and replacing everything would be too expensive (even comparing to a 70-200 lens)
- because their Tamron/Sigma had just broken
- because they just like Pentax (ergonomics, etc)
etc.

And maybe because they purchased a 645 system and want to back it up with a smaller system camera.
Imagine, sharing lenses for 24 MP APS-C with PixShift, 36 MP with PixShift and adapting those of your 645 DFA. I am inclined to think that there might be some overlap in the possible use cases for all three options...
04-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #999
Pentaxian

Exactly.
For me at least ; and i suppose it will be difficult resisting FF tentation....
04-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #1000
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
As for the 70-200 FF lens I am particularly keen to learn of its differences with my 80-200 FA*
I am interested in that too... it was written that the new 70-200 is
QuoteQuote:
designed for use with current K-mount DSLR cameras and "future Pentax sensor technology."

However, one can find a very good used copy of the 80-200mm for about half the price of the new 70-200 actual price.. maybe it would drop a bit in the future, but would that worth it for the moment ?
04-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #1001
Pentaxian

Delivery of this lens seems to be delayed until end of Mai in Europe.
04-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #1002
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Delivery of this lens seems to be delayed until end of Mai in Europe.
Yes. Late May to early June appear to be what is expected. Ricoh has no reason to rush it. The firmware needs to be perfect. This is a very critical lens for the FF line up. If its going to be bigger, heavier, & more expensive than the Canon/Nikon version, then it also needs to be better.
04-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #1003
Veteran Member

If its going to be bigger, heavier, & more expensive than the Canon/Nikon version, then it also needs to be better.
A side-by-side comparison with the Canon 70-200 II (I think), from CP+ [can't find source]:

The Pentax may weigh slightly more than the Canon (depending on tripod foot, hood etc), but it certainly doesn't look any bigger. In fact the dimensions of both are within a few mm of each other (both ~90mm diameter x 200mm height).
05-01-2015, 01:30 AM   #1004

Yes. Late May to early June appear to be what is expected. Ricoh has no reason to rush it. The firmware needs to be perfect. This is a very critical lens for the FF line up. If its going to be bigger, heavier, & more expensive than the Canon/Nikon version, then it also needs to be better.
There is no "perfect". There is evolution, an incremental improvement of an optical design, but it predates a FF camera body that doesn' even exist yet.

It raises my expectations; yet gives pause to real world realities. A good lens will focus well, and produce consistent focus dependent images. Bokeh should follow the parameters a shooter might dial in with AF compensation.

We are living in times of technological improvement, that are difficult to judge by reviews. Rent first, then decide.
05-01-2015, 02:04 AM   #1005
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A side-by-side comparison with the Canon 70-200 II (I think), from CP+ [can't find source]:

The Pentax may weigh slightly more than the Canon (depending on tripod foot, hood etc), but it certainly doesn't look any bigger. In fact the dimensions of both are within a few mm of each other (both ~90mm diameter x 200mm height).
They are about the same size at least that's how I see it. But I'm a little biased. I think Pentax will out perform canon. Just my thought.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 05-01-2015 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Need to add more comments