Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #1021
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether this lens is better or worse than a comparable Canon lens is immaterial. The only thing that really matters is that it live up to high standards and deliver excellent images with a fast, accurate AF system. I cannot use a Canon lens on my Pentax and a Canon user cannot use a Pentax lens.

Outside of beating our chests and yelling "our lens is better than your lens" what is the point?

05-03-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #1022
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Whether this lens is better or worse than a comparable Canon lens is immaterial. The only thing that really matters is that it live up to high standards and deliver excellent images with a fast, accurate AF system. I cannot use a Canon lens on my Pentax and a Canon user cannot use a Pentax lens.

Outside of beating our chests and yelling "our lens is better than your lens" what is the point?
Because the lenses are what make the system. Bodies come and go. When a potential buyer is looking at what system to purchase they are going to look at the lenses and size, weight , cost, & performance are key factors.

Its not about "us". Its about future customers. The Canon lens has OIS which is important for the video crowd. I can get the Canon lens for $400 less. If you are a future buyer and the 70-200mm is a key lens for the work that you do, then the Canon is hard to beat. Why would a future buyer chose the bigger, heavier, more expensive Pentax over the Canon with OIS, unless the Pentax is better. Its not abut beating our chests. Its about selling lenses.
05-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #1023
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Because the lenses are what make the system. Bodies come and go. When a potential buyer is looking at what system to purchase they are going to look at the lenses and size, weight , cost, & performance are key factors. Its not about "us". Its about future customers. The Canon lens has OIS which is important for the video crowd. I can get the Canon lens for $400 less. If you are a future buyer and the 70-200mm is a key lens for the work that you do, then the Canon is hard to beat. Why would a future buyer chose the bigger, heavier, more expensive Pentax over the Canon with OIS, unless the Pentax is better. Its not abut beating our chests. Its about selling lenses.
OK, that all makes sense and you bring up a very good argument.

But I'm not sure where you get the $400 difference? Just checked B&H and the Canon is $2,099 and the Pentax is $2295. So $200 difference between the pre-release early adopter price for the Pentax and the established price for the Canon. The Canon pre-release early adopter price (according to dpreview) was $2,500. So looking at release pricing the Pentax is actually $200 cheaper than the Canon.

But that is just quibbling, whether the Pentax is $200 more or less is IMHO immaterial. Anyone buying into a professional system (FF camera, 15-30, 24-70, 70-200) is looking at dropping $7k or more. I doubt $400 either way is going to make a difference. And I would speculate that for every buyer that goes with the cheaper system there is one who assumes the more expensive system is better and goes that way.

Buying decisions are made based on a number of factors, weighted by the individual according to their priorities. Price is certainly an important one but it is not the only one.
05-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #1024
Loyal Site Supporter

Buying decisions are made based on a number of factors, weighted by the individual according to their priorities. Price is certainly an important one but it is not the only one.
No Price isn't the only factor, but when you are bigger, heavier and more expensive you had better be better (IQ).

05-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #1025
Site Supporter

No Price isn't the only factor, but when you are bigger, heavier and more expensive you had better be better (IQ).
I suppose in an ideal world you are right. But I don't think most buyers look at it that way. I certainly don't anyway. I just bought a car and looked at four different brands of SUV. I ended up with the most expensive, though not by a lot, because it had the features, color and looks I preferred. Come to think it was also actually bigger and heavier and got poorer gas mileage. If everyone just looked at the specifications and bought the cheapest thing that met their needs I suspect a lot of companies would be out of business.

Anyway time will tell. And I suspect the price of this lens will be sub $2k in about 12 months. Then it will be cheaper, bigger and heavier. And if the IQ is in the ball park of the high end Canon and Nikon then it's all good.
05-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #1026
Pentaxian

I thought we already established that it's about the same size as the Canon (and the Nikon, too)?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287711-hd-pentax-d-...ml#post3239686
And the Nikon is more expensive - using BH prices.
05-09-2015, 03:43 AM   #1027
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I thought we already established that it's about the same size as the Canon (and the Nikon, too)?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287711-hd-pentax-d-...ml#post3239686
And the Nikon is more expensive - using BH prices.
The Pentax is 265g heavier, that is 18% heavier.

For the price itself I was pleased to see the Pentax 70-200 for 1999 on Ricoh website (preorder). This site being quite expensite toward usual street prices, I expect it to land at 1500-1700 in 1 year from now.
05-09-2015, 03:49 AM   #1028
Pentaxian

I suppose in an ideal world you are right. But I don't think most buyers look at it that way. I certainly don't anyway. I just bought a car and looked at four different brands of SUV. I ended up with the most expensive, though not by a lot, because it had the features, color and looks I preferred. Come to think it was also actually bigger and heavier and got poorer gas mileage. If everyone just looked at the specifications and bought the cheapest thing that met their needs I suspect a lot of companies would be out of business.

Anyway time will tell. And I suspect the price of this lens will be sub $2k in about 12 months. Then it will be cheaper, bigger and heavier. And if the IQ is in the ball park of the high end Canon and Nikon then it's all good.
People don't buy lenses for look and the one that does buy leica or Pentax ltd, not hugly fat teles Of course some might like the bulkiness but I think people buy the dream of the ultimate performance, having the best and the actual ultimate performance.

We can see that people buy the dream when a review say it is not that good, people argue forever instead of accepting that this reviewer was not happy with the sample he got.

Anyway, Pentax need to establish the brand to be successfull so they need to get leverage on one or several point like ultimate AF performance, ultimate picture quality, smaller/ligher high quality gear, best price, marketing etc.

For sure the 70-200 can't compete on most account as Pentax is likely still a bit behind in AF despite the latest improvements. For sure the smaller/lighter is not here. That could be the best price after 1 year or so, we will see. Ultimate picture quality thing is still unknown, let's hope. Marketing... Not sure.

At worst Pentax must at least make good, competitives product even if not all will distinguish themselves.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 05-09-2015 at 03:54 AM.
05-09-2015, 03:52 AM   #1029
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
You wish that will outperform Canon. From first test (ephotozine) it is not close to Canon. And that AF is really pain in the ass.
I would agree that the AF thing doesn't see as then I could just buy the tamron for 600 instead of 2000 for the Pentax. But for the picture quality and overall review both lenses get the same score and the picture quality score of the Pentax are truely great and compare well to the Canon so I don't really see where the "it is not close to Canon" come from. Indeed from having the same score it is the same as the Canon overall.
05-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #1030
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some guy already wrote a review on BHphoto Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens 21330 B&H

Probably just advertising..

edit: He is actually on the forum, there was an editorial about him. So anybody who feels like it can go badger him with pm's for samples: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/75931-alexmunoz/

Last edited by D1N0; 05-09-2015 at 07:13 AM.
05-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #1031

Photos: Albums
^ That is disturbing.
05-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #1032
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Some guy already wrote a review on BHphoto Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens 21330 B&H

Probably just advertising..

edit: He is actually on the forum, there was an editorial about him. So anybody who feels like it can go badger him with pm's for samples: alexmunoz - View Profile - PentaxForums.com
"By far the sharpest, most contrasty, rich colored, fully weather sealed (not just moisture but also drip proo) lens Pentax has ever made. You won't be disappointed.
Yes, I would recommend this to a friend"
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #1033
Site Supporter

Questionnable bokeh, though...
05-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #1034
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Someone said questionable bokeh?

Otus 55 f1.4 (about $1000 more than the d-FA* 70-200)
05-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #1035
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
But superb isolation.....