Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #166

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I'm not convinced this is a problem. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM retails for $2200.

—DragonLord
I agree, and personally would like them to take things a step beyond. Throw their engineering and manufacturing might into giving me a product that is superior to canikon in every way and charge 20 to 30% more. Somewhere between the boutique brands and others.

02-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not convinced this is a problem. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM retails for $2200.

—DragonLord
Yep, and if it's as good it will be worth every penny. (or should that be cent?)
02-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
I agree, and personally would like them to take things a step beyond. Throw their engineering and manufacturing might into giving me a product that is superior to canikon in every way and charge 20 to 30% more. Somewhere between the boutique brands and others.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Yep, and if it's as good it will be worth every penny. (or should that be cent?)
IOW, there's a lot of room between Nikon and Leica? More than the niche between Canon and Nikon?
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is nothing wrong with expensive full frame. If folks want to do it on the cheap, there are always the Tamron zooms (28-75, 70-200). But honestly, why would you spend two grand on a camera and then not get great glass to go with it?

(I mean other than the obvious fact that Pentaxians are cheap...)

02-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #170
twr

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What we need here is not Pentax making a 70-200 lens, what we need is Tamron making a k-mount body.
Im waiting to see a Samyang MF only camera.
02-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

—DragonLord
Actually, putting it that way, I suppose $2200 is a pretty competitive price for this sort of lens.
02-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
People go on and on about Canon and Nikon, but when you bring out equivalent gear at an equivalent price... they say "yikes". It;s too bad tamron doesn't make their own camera bodies. What we need here is not Pentax making a 70-200 lens, what we need is Tamron making a k-mount body. Then we could proudly say... "Tamron is doomed."
I agree....you can't have it both ways.
Quality costs. At this level, you pay for the subtleties.

02-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #173
Veteran Member

Some people, need to understand, that this new 70-200 is mostly aimed at the pro-marked together with the new FF. Pentax need to get more pro's onboard. Pentax are allready the best choice for everthing below the pro-marked. Understand me correctly, i dont say that amateurs and hobbyists wont be able to use this, but price and quality shows that Pentax wants into the Pro-marked. (That is also one of the reasons that they signed me as an ambassador, to show pro's using Pentax).
02-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #174
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To be honest I am already happy with the lenses I have. I was hoping for something longer from Pentax, but to be honest I'm an amateur hobbyist with some decent equipment, so I wouldn't be able to justify replacing what I have with what they are releasing. Would those lenses make my images better? Nah, that's all on me. Still, I was hoping for even a rebadged Tamron or Sigma 150-600 with WR on it to replace my Sigma 150-500, and I had no plans on replacing my Tamron 70-200 anyway.

I do hope this does put the Pentax name out there more and gets more people shooting it so some of the third party lens makers will release more in K mount though.
02-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #175
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Actually, putting it that way, I suppose $2200 is a pretty competitive price for this sort of lens.
Canon 70-200/2,8 - 2200 USD
Nikon 70-200/2,8 - 2400 USD
02-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I do hope this does put the Pentax name out there more and gets more people shooting it so some of the third party lens makers will release more in K mount though.
That will come as soon as the FF with K-mount is official out there
02-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #177
Veteran Member

—DragonLord
I know FF should be expensive. BUT! why would anyone (non pentax) consider using pentax body and glass when C and N already have a pretty long history and many generations of digital full frame dslr? (Especially used top glass fir those two are plenty as well). If they are priced like CaNikon, honestly, and Pentaxian who is thinking of moving into Full frame now realize they don't need to wait for Pentax. Since the entry price will be the roughly the same no matter what brand you choose (and likely cheaper if you choose CaNikon, as used bodies are plentiful). Since I will be spending the same amount of money, I rather buy dslr that is in their 2nd or 3rd generations than a new comer and first one from Pentax.

If the pricing is high like this, they might just push Pentaxian who are waiting for full frame finally realized they don't have to stick with Pentax, after all these years. ..
02-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #178
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Direct Drive DC Torque Motors | Kollmorgen | Brush DC Electric Motors

A different type of DC motor,looks like the type in the Pentax patent.
02-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I know FF should be expensive. BUT! why would anyone (non pentax) consider using pentax body and glass when C and N already have a pretty long history and many generations of digital full frame dslr? (Especially used top glass fir those two are plenty as well). If they are priced like CaNikon, honestly, and Pentaxian who is thinking of moving into Full frame now realize they don't need to wait for Pentax. Since the entry price will be the roughly the same no matter what brand you choose (and likely cheaper if you choose CaNikon, as used bodies are plentiful). Since I will be spending the same amount of money, I rather buy dslr that is in their 2nd or 3rd generations than a new comer and first one from Pentax.

If the pricing is high like this, they might just push Pentaxian who are waiting for full frame finally realized they don't have to stick with Pentax, after all these years. ..
And if Pentax cut corners in order to lower prices... People will jump ship because it took them over a decade to get FF out and it's not even up to par. They might as well just not bother with FF by that logic.
02-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

If they are invested in lenses, they might stay with Pentax. And like I said, there's good but lower quality options like the Tamron 70-200.

Based on the specs, I think it is possible that Ricoh is trying to come up with a lens that is actually superior to what is out there. That would get people's attention.