Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #541
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
(picks up his jaw from the floor) This is astonishing, I can count the dudes hair on his left hand....

The sharpness is insane, and the lack of noise at ISO 3200 is unbelievable...
It is a great shot indeed, but can you really judge the details/sharpness and the lack of noise on websize pictures like that?

ISO3200 is not even such a high ISO anymore, considering that ISO1600 is the new ISO400...

04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #542
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
ISO3200 is not even such a high ISO anymore, considering that ISO1600 is the new ISO400...
That sounds about right.
In the days of film I shot mostly Kodachrome 25, and now I shoot mostly at base ISO 100
04-07-2015, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can you really judge the details/sharpness and the lack of noise on websize pictures like that?
A webpage is the most likely venue that the concert photos posted by you and kenspro will be viewed at. From what I can read from the EXIF, the first picture you posted was taken with a K-5 and a 200mm lens (DA*?) at ISO 640; while it's also a good photograph, it doesn't appear to me to be as sharp or detailed. Perhaps that is my own mental processing of two different scenes or differences in digital post-processing, but I'm not going to discount kenspro's comments about the new lens based on the photos you posted.
04-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #544
Pentaxian

It is a great shot indeed, but can you really judge the details/sharpness and the lack of noise on websize pictures like that?

There are quite a few sharp lenses in the Pentax catalogue, but there are very few fast focusing lenses. If they are sharp and render well, the focus performance becomes interesting.

Yet, some of the photos posted were critiqued for their being off focus or soft, so the information here is valid. The long lens thread had links to raw photos as well. All the information presented here has been very helpful.

04-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
A webpage is the most likely venue that the concert photos posted by you and kenspro will be viewed at.
Sure, but judging the lens sharpness by looking at pictures like that is not the good idea.
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
From what I can read from the EXIF, the first picture you posted was taken with a K-5 and a 200mm lens (DA*?) at ISO 640
The point of posting these two was to show that there is not much of the difference if you look at ISO640 (which is pretty low in terms of shooting concerts with f/2.8 lens) or ISO12800 (which is pretty high for an APS-C camera) on web miniatures.
04-07-2015, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #546
Veteran Member

While you pictures look good, the one of kenspo look really great.

The first one of your at iso 640 has flare and has a bit lack lack of contrast/sharpness. The second on is much more difficult condition (12800 isos) is good too, but again, not as great. Technically the noise is visible and again this isn't that sharp/constrasty.

Your picture are great, but clearly not as good as the one of kenspo. Maybe if we try to analyse technically pure sharpness etc it is not better but nobody would be mistaken.

An I would be glad already to manage photos like yours in concert, but there levels.

After it is the gear or is it the photographer... Likely the photographer, but as kenspo explained the focus here is very fast, I think he enjoy really using it. And that also participate a lot to the result.

In the end if one want to buy a great lenses for concert he can understand the pentax is really heavy but nail focus really really fast in difficult condition with K3. He see he can get great pictures with it.

It it necessary? Well sure one would manage with old tamron 70-200, but that may be more difficult to focus...
04-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They say they want to aim for the pro's too...So they have to deliver now. But that doesn't mean that they will stop making all the other good stuff they have! I didn't have the time to test the 150-450 good enough, so i gave it away to a fine pentaxian here in Oslo. You can see his testing in the 150-450 thread!
good shot there,sure the singer will use it..is the AF on the 150-450 just as good..I know you didn't have it so long,but would you say same as 70-200? any comparison to Nikon by chance?

04-08-2015, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
good shot there,sure the singer will use it..is the AF on the 150-450 just as good..I know you didn't have it so long,but would you say same as 70-200? any comparison to Nikon by chance?
I have'nt tested the 150-450 in bad/dark light..But in normal light, it seems just as quick as the 70-200. The 70-200 is at least the same standard as Nikon's
04-08-2015, 03:31 AM   #549

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It is nice to see that Pentax is putting out something that requires no apology, just works. Sharp, fast focus, nice IQ.

Now i'd like to see someone with the same experience and skill handle the 150-450. Someone trudging through swamps, northern Europe is fine, I think they get even less light than we do. I know how hard it is to get a great shot in those conditions, but I'd like to see a few.
I live in the UK and wrote to Ricoh UK offering to test the 150-450mm ( I'm a wildlife/sports photographer) but never even got a reply :-(

Last edited by mille19; 04-08-2015 at 06:04 AM.
04-08-2015, 03:37 AM   #550
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I live in the UK and wrote to Ricoh UK offering to the test the 150-450mm ( I'm a wildlife/sports photographer) but never even got a reply :-(
I think Ricoh UK, as in many other countries, has outsourced most things.
04-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #551
Veteran Member

They say they want to aim for the pro's too...
Richo made the comment a few years ago that they plan to directly compete with Canon and Nikon and it looks like this is the first step. Comments about the new FF body and the new D-FA* glass indicate they are building professional grade tanks.

From your conversations with Ricoh, do you think they plan to go head to head with Canon and Nikon for the professional market?
04-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
From your conversations with Ricoh, do you think they plan to go head to head with Canon and Nikon for the professional market?
yes, but in their own way..not by following their footsteps. My feeling, not info from Ricoh, is that they will do this in two steps. First they want to see how the marked react, and the go all in if its positive. Will have deeper talks with them in the time to come..to learn more about their plans and strategy
04-08-2015, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Richo made the comment a few years ago that they plan to directly compete with Canon and Nikon and it looks like this is the first step. Comments about the new FF body and the new D-FA* glass indicate they are building professional grade tanks.

I think the AF system in the K-3 was the first step, in that it out performed every production lens ever made by Pentax. These lenses are made to take advantage of it's capabilities.
04-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #554
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think the AF system in the K-3 was the first step, in that it out performed every production lens ever made by Pentax. These lenses are made to take advantage of it's capabilities.
We'll even need a newer aps-c or the FF to see the potential of the new lenses. You won't get 100% out of the new 70-200 with the K-3..But stuff is happening behind closed doors..
04-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #555
Veteran Member

yes, but in their own way..not by following their footsteps
The D-FA* 70-200mm F/2.8 and other lenses on the road map seem to be pretty direct competition. The first round of lenses seem to be "in their footsteps".

Hopefully they have some patience. It might take two or three years for the market to really react in a positive way. Sony thought they could take over the industry in 5 years and they failed miserably in the DSLR market.