Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #556
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The D-FA* 70-200mm F/2.8 and other lenses on the road map seem to be pretty direct competition. The first round of lenses seem to be "in their footsteps".

Hopefully they have some patience. It might take two or three years for the market to really react in a positive way. Sony thought they could take over the industry in 5 years and they failed miserably in the DSLR market.
They will need the "Holy trinity" to reach the pros..I was thinking more about everything else..the camera house and its features. There will be 3 zooms this year..maybe 1-2 more next year..And next year, we'll also see some new primes. Ricoh is doing things right by not going all in first day. They should have learned by Sony's mistakes..as they have gotten on of their former bosses

04-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #557
Pentaxian

Do you know anything about "the camera house and its features"?
04-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They will need the "Holy trinity" to reach the pros..I was thinking more about everything else..the camera house and its features. There will be 3 zooms this year..maybe 1-2 more next year..And next year, we'll also see some new primes. Ricoh is doing things right by not going all in first day. They should have learned by Sony's mistakes..as they have gotten on of their former bosses
As a professional, what would you recommend that they do to compete with Canon/Nikon without following in their footsteps?
04-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
As a professional, what would you recommend that they do to compete with Canon/Nikon without following in their footsteps?
Make the camera house something special..With features the others doesn't have. Together with making the new optic so good, its worth dying for..haha But in total, there is no way they can compete with them, without doing something of the same..thats why they will also release 3-4 zooms, who also happens to be the biggest ones from the others..Like wide angle soon, normal zoom and telezoom in 2.8..

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do you know anything about "the camera house and its features"?
Maybe, maybe not..I can't share anything anyway

04-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #560
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kenspo,kenspo,kenspo
And what do you know about K-3ll ?
04-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #561
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And please tell us what you know about the K-3II
04-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #562

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
And please tell us what you know about the K-3II
I wish Pentax respond to Canon 7DII quickly. Remember there is also Samsung from behind with their NX-1.
Don't let them taking the crown of the pro-apsc body for too long, and at the same time sink Nikon's boat immediately.

This is a big chance to make pentax more prominent, if they release K-3II this year with specs similar or better than 7DII and NX-1.

04-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
I wish Pentax respond to Canon 7DII quickly. Remember there is also Samsung from behind with their NX-1.
Don't let them taking the crown of the pro-apsc body for too long, and at the same time sink Nikon's boat immediately.

This is a big chance to make pentax more prominent, if they release K-3II this year with specs similar or better than 7DII and NX-1.
There is not a lot about the 7DII that is better than the K-3. The Nx-1 is a cool piece of technology, but I don't think its really competing with the K-3.

Sony did just release a new 24MP APS-C sensor (IMX271) but the main difference appears to be the frame rate at 19fps.
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Kenspo,kenspo,kenspo
And what do you know about K-3ll ?
Geez. This is torture

Exciting times, indeed. Love this.
04-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #565
Veteran Member

Hmm!
04-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #566
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I hope Pentax will not forget the APS-C lines despite their intention to compete with the pro line. I still would like to see a K-50 substitute with a battery grip. I've always been a sucker for battery grips. And of course the K-3II. Please Pentax, make it soon.
04-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Well I hope Pentax will not forget the APS-C lines
They won't..No worries.
04-09-2015, 02:58 AM - 3 Likes   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote

Ouch,the Samsung is a toy.
I used it on Photokina and at real live,plastic stuff in a metal jacket,autofocus continue like a joke,completely a nice camera but nothin like a 7 ll or K-3
And the new 3 will have things what the Canon doesn't have,what we have today is the better sensor and more body quality,better sealing and much more better AF C in lowest light. 👍

Best regards
04-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #569
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
We'll even need a newer aps-c or the FF to see the potential of the new lenses. You won't get 100% out of the new 70-200 with the K-3..But stuff is happening behind closed doors..
Hopefully the FF will. But if the K-3 doesn't make full use of the new lenses, I would expect the lens to move so quickly that the lens moves past the focus point without registering that it was in focus, and then having to come back. You see this in old screw drive lenses that are 6.3 or slower, the speed of focus is geared up but there isn't enough light to look focus at that speed and the lens hunts.. SO, I'm wondering if you're seeing anything like that that would indicate the speed of focus is stressing the AF system?

I guess in the FF system they could bump the voltage to the new lenses to make them faster and have a recognition chip so the it doesn't fry the SDM lenses, but apart from more power to the motors, I'm not sure how the lens would focus faster than it does now. The only factor that could be different would be the camera's ability to recognize when the image is in focus. If it's not missing focus and hunting, I'm not sure how it could be any different. The .1 second focus speed on a D610 is based on a very short movement when focussing the lens. The .5 second focus speed on a K-3 is in part based on a much longer distance. There are only two ways around the slow focus speed. Move the lens element faster, or shorten the distance it has to move to get from close to infinity. Am I missing something?

In both cases the AF system has less time to recognize that the desired point is in focus. But just improving the AF focus lock system in the camera can't make up for slow focussing lenses.

Or in other words, unless Pentax starts making lenses designed with higher gearing or less distance to travel in focusing, I'm not sure how any improvement in the AF module is going to help. Most of the time, the AF system is waiting for the lens to get to the point where things are in focus. That's what I'd like to see improved i these lenses. If it takes the AF system a few years to catch up that's fine with me. To me, seeing a bit of hunting out the gate would be good thing. It would mean the lens focusses quickly.. and the cameras AF could be improved to make it lock focus more reliably in the future.

If the K-3 doesn't hunt, and you're still dealing with a slow focusing lens... how is there going to be improvement? It doesn't make any sense to me to release an "improved lens" that focusses at 1/5th the speed of the competition.

Last edited by normhead; 04-09-2015 at 07:43 AM.
04-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hopefully the FF will. But if the K-3 doesn't make full use of the new lenses, I would expect the lens to move so quickly that the lens moves past the focus point without registering that it was in focus, and then having to come back. You see this in old screw drive lenses that are 6.3 or slower, the speed of focus is geared up but there isn't enough light to look focus at that speed and the lens hunts.. SO, I'm wondering if you're seeing anything like that that would indicate the speed of focus is stressing the AF system?

I guess in the FF system they could bump the voltage to the new lenses to make them faster and have a recognition chip so the it doesn't fry the SDM lenses, but apart from more power to the motors, I'm not sure how the lens would focus faster than it does now. The only factor that could be different would be the camera's ability to recognize when the image is in focus. If it's not missing focus and hunting, I'm not sure how it could be any different. The .1 second focus speed on a D610 is based on a very short movement when focussing the lens. The .5 second focus speed on a K-3 is in part based on a much longer distance. There are only two ways around the slow focus speed. Move the lens element faster, or shorten the distance it has to move to get from close to infinity. Am I missing something? In both cases the AF system has less time to recognize that the desired point is in focus. But just improving the AF focus lock system in the camera can't make up for slow focussing lenses.
Hmm..its hard for me to answer this 100%..Since im still pretty new to Pentax, and never used anything beside K-3 and 645Z..So it is maybe more a feeling i have..i will have other cameras to test on soon (new ones, not older ones), then i'll see if i was correct or not.