Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #616
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The Q-S1 could use a more robust build...
GR

04-10-2015, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #617
Pentaxian

I'm torn between
kenspo, please stop, you're killing me!
and
kenspo, please tell me more, I need to know!
04-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #618
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
I guess, yes, we will see a new top line APSC as well

But I'm totally clue-less this time, if it will be an all new camera, or just a "Mark II" increment with some "me-too" features like wifi and moveable back screen.

I don't dare to guess about the autofocus neither. Because most Pentaxians seem happy with the K-3 AF for their basic focusing requirements, I'm afraid it may not have been enhanced this time, if Ricoh didn't see a requirement to do so.

On the other hand, we saw investments in the AF System with both of the last two major APSC Releases, which could have been carried further...

Furthermore, for the FF alone they MUST have developed something new here anyway. And if so, then the new APSC could simply inherit this from the FF. And maybe even a 645z Mark II could.

YES, maybe the "3rd new camera" is actually an updated medium format?

Sony just released a new 24MP APS-C sensor that can handle frame rates of 19fps. If we do see an K-3 Super then my guess is the major area of upgrade will be frame rates and AF speed/tracking. Hopefully we will continue to see improvements in metering and color.

Ricoh might be planning on releasing a new K-3 with many of the upgraded specifications before the FF so they can refine the technology before going into the more expensive FF model. Release the APS-C version to drive some sales and then offer the FF. IF they offer the FF camera first, it could have a negative impact on APS-C sales.
04-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
But I'm totally clue-less this time, if it will be an all new camera, or just a "Mark II" increment with some "me-too" features like wifi and moveable back screen.
I would think that adding wifi or movable screen qualifies as "all new camera" not "Mark II". Those are gross physical changes not tweaking of existing features.

But really, there is no such thing as an "all new camera" each model builds on the features and technology of the previous models. "All new" would need something quite different, a FF sensor might qualify. But look at the K-S1 versus the k-50, is it "all new"? Different look, different sensor (and LED lights ) but if you look at the specifications, very little has really changed. Same shutter speed range, same ISO range, same exposure modes, same bit depth, same meter range and so on.

04-10-2015, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #620
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony just released a new 24MP APS-C sensor that can handle frame rates of 19fps. If we do see an K-3 Super then my guess is the major area of upgrade will be frame rates and AF speed/tracking. Hopefully we will continue to see improvements in metering and color.

Ricoh might be planning on releasing a new K-3 with many of the upgraded specifications before the FF so they can refine the technology before going into the more expensive FF model. Release the APS-C version to drive some sales and then offer the FF. IF they offer the FF camera first, it could have a negative impact on APS-C sales.
Maybe.

I would think the biggest room for improvement right now would in the video realm and then, probably the addition of the wifi functionality of the K-S2. Tracking and auto focus are certainly there, but I don't really want/hope for 19fps.

It just seems like if Pentax could make a decent effort in the video department -- 4K, nice codec, mechanical SR capability -- they would match up better against other brand's options.
04-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'm torn between
kenspo, please stop, you're killing me!
and
kenspo, please tell me more, I need to know!
Haha..sorry mate
04-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe.

I would think the biggest room for improvement right now would in the video realm and then, probably the addition of the wifi functionality of the K-S2. Tracking and auto focus are certainly there, but I don't really want/hope for 19fps.

It just seems like if Pentax could make a decent effort in the video department -- 4K, nice codec, mechanical SR capability -- they would match up better against other brand's options.
+1. There was an old rumor about a video oriented K-3. Hope will be one.

19fps is almost movie. Could be interesting.

04-10-2015, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #623
Pentaxian

So out of the 3 new cameras coming up this year, one is the FF, the other is a new Ricoh GR, which we were expecting based on leaked Photokina pictures.

That leaves us with one camera that we don't know about. I assume it's the K-3 substitute.
04-10-2015, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So out of the 3 new cameras coming up this year, one is the FF, the other is a new Ricoh GR, which we were expecting based on leaked Photokina pictures.

That leaves us with one camera that we don't know about. I assume it's the K-3 substitute.
Interesting.

Upthread, forgetting about the GR, I speculated a K-50 replacement would be one of the three. If there isn't a K-50 replacement (if the K-S2 fills that price point) does that mean the Pentax-brand range is:
  1. FF
  2. APSc Flagship
  3. APSc Attractor (Mid-range with mass-consumer features)

or will there be the April/May rumored major K-3 FW update (to go along with the rumored 645Z FW update) and a K-50 replacement?

[EDIT: or will the K-3 stay in production and replace the K-50?]

Last edited by monochrome; 04-10-2015 at 05:59 PM.
04-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #625
Veteran Member

Release the APS-C version to drive some sales and then offer the FF. IF they offer the FF camera first, it could have a negative impact on APS-C sales.
Actually, it should be the other way around - advanced FF camera sales cameras in lower segments. Putting top APS-C model on shelves before they have already announced full frame there is cutting primary sells anyway: some will wait to see the full frame body, some will wait for a price drop (like always ), some will not notice the brand (because they don't have a full frame yet) and then some of those who will buy the top of the line APS-C won't buy the FF camera.
IMHO, if they want to sell both, the advanced FF and top APS-C model, they should put it on the market together or put the top APS-C model a couple of months after the FF one. But looking at the gap between the current K-3 and the K-S2, there is a place for another APS-C body - something higher than the old K-50, closer to the K-5 line maybe... Like a Canon 70D direct competitor...
The other option could be an "affordable" FF model but I doubt it will be on shelves sooner than in a second half of 2016...
04-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #626
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe.

The companies that are driving and focusing on 4K are mosty companies that manufacture 4K TVs and are trying to get 4K content on the market. Companies like Fuji, Olympus, Nikon, Ricoh don't make 4K TVs and don't have a big interest in driving it.

Who makes cinema lenses for K-mount? Clickless, stepless aperture?

I'm sure Ricoh will add new video features and improvements simply because the new hardware from Sony/Fujitsu supports it. People who want to take video of the kids in 4K will be able to, but there is practically zero support for K-mount in the video world.

Anyone taking video seriously would be better off moving to Sony, Panasonic or Canon. Video is simply a novelty for Fuji, Olympus, & Ricoh. Even Nikon is limited in what they offer. The D750 is the first Nikon where HD video wasn't an after thought.

Last edited by Winder; 04-10-2015 at 12:04 PM.
04-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #627
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Actually, it should be the other way around - advanced FF camera sales cameras in lower segments. Putting top APS-C model on shelves before they have already announced full frame there is cutting primary sells anyway: some will wait to see the full frame body, some will wait for a price drop (like always ), some will not notice the brand (because they don't have a full frame yet) and then some of those who will buy the top of the line APS-C won't buy the FF camera.
IMHO, if they want to sell both, the advanced FF and top APS-C model, they should put it on the market together or put the top APS-C model a couple of months after the FF one. But looking at the gap between the current K-3 and the K-S2, there is a place for another APS-C body - something higher than the old K-50, closer to the K-5 line maybe... Like a Canon 70D direct competitor...
The other option could be an "affordable" FF model but I doubt it will be on shelves sooner than in a second half of 2016...
They are targeting two different groups of people with the FF and best APS-C..So i think they have their strategy out from that. FF is for targeting pros.
04-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone taking video seriously would be better off moving to Sony, Panasonic or Canon. Video is simply a novelty for Fuji, Olympus, & Ricoh. Even Nikon is limited in what they offer. The D750 is the first Nikon where HD video wasn't an after thought.
I believe that is a complete statement all the way up to broadcast television news and fairly complete for Hollywood cinematic standard.
04-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #629
Veteran Member

Who makes cinema lenses for K-mount? Clickless, stepless aperture?
Samyang does a few.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They are targeting two different groups of people with the FF and best APS-C..So i think they have their strategy out from that. FF is for targeting pros.
Yes, but those groups are not that strictly separated. And thinking they'll sell enough bodies to justify the cost of development just to pros (converted or "domestic") would be pretty naive - I see the FF as an advertising machine that sells lower segment bodies and lenses, because that's where the money is. The pro body is needed mainly to be considered as a serious system and the choice of (at least some) pros again - that way they'll sell more entry and mid-level bodies and lenses and stop some more advanced users from jumping ships. Will it pay? I hope so...

Last edited by jaad75; 04-10-2015 at 01:06 PM.
04-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Samyang does a few.
Yes, but those groups are not that strictly separated. And thinking they'll sell enough bodies to justify the cost of development just to pros (converted or "domestic") would be pretty naive - I see the FF as an advertising machine that sells lower segment bodies and lenses, because that's where the money is. The pro body is needed mainly to be considered as serious system and a choice of (at least some) pros again - that way they'll sell more entry and mid-level bodies and lenses and stop some more advanced users from jumping ships. Will it pay? I hope so...
I know..and i agree..and i hope too Not matter what, there are exciting times ahead...not long until next big news