Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #691
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Watch it! Many Finns understand Swedish quite well so other Nordic languages are not impossible ;-)

(with the exception of icelandish, of course, which is basicly Old Norse)
And also many don't understand Finnish. So.
Helmetin hyvä että nää uuvet putket vaikuttas olevan erinomaisia jollei loistavia. Nytte ku vielä sais nuo uuvet kamerat lähemmin tarkasteltaviks...

04-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #692
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Hehe..wish i could give more details..not yet, but soon!
I was about to switch to Nikon..just tell me that's a really BAD idea..
04-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
And also many don't understand Finnish. So.
Helmetin hyvä että nää uuvet putket vaikuttas olevan erinomaisia jollei loistavia. Nytte ku vielä sais nuo uuvet kamerat lähemmin tarkasteltaviks...
No niinpä!
04-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #694

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote

It's a really BAD idea!

04-11-2015, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #695
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
It is a bad idea..belive me. There will be two new cameras this year..and both will make you go -> WOOOOOOW
04-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #696
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
It's all about that "AF tracking" you see....we need that feature to perform on the K3, the new D-Fa enable just that. People really buy into that bull, how Nikon's 3D tracking is superior. Have they tried it on a kit lens, or older legacy glass with screw-drive AF, its GARBAGE. They should have put an asterisks on that feature: Nikon 3D Tracking*

*Feature sold separately, an f2.8 premium telephoto lens produced after 2010 is required. It's advised that a budget of $2000 or greater is allocated for the feature to be enabled.
A big part of AF tracking is predicting subject movement and trajectory to move the lense continuously to be sure the AF is always on spot. This can work with any lense even through more reactive lenses can make more of it. This is not taking AF measurement, move the lense, taking another measurement, move again...

The only tracking we have now is through colors so the AF sensor used can be shifted to change the X or Y axis. But the camera still doesn't anticipate and doesn't continue to move AF continuously, in particular it doesn't not continue while the mirror is up and the photo being taken even through something like 0.1 second has elapsed.

While K3 has very fast and efficiant AF and the new lenses appear to be quite fast, I think there no full tracking algorithms for now. It will come either with a firmware update or in a new model.

This is not K3 AF is bad, it is really great for everything except maybe very fast moving objects.
04-11-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This is not K3 AF is bad, it is really great for everything except maybe very fast moving objects.
And why is it that the only measure of AF is tracking something that is moving fast? I for one have never used the AF-C function, I don't shoot things that move.

On the k-5 I used to shoot 3, 4, 5 frames of the same thing to be sure one was in focus. I continued that on the k-3 until I realized ALL of the frames were in focus and I was just wasting time trying to figure out which was better. Now I shoot one frame, and it is in focus. How much better can this get?

Sorry, pet peeve of mine is the constant complaints about Pentax AF when in fact it is near perfect. Now if you are complaining about object TRACKING, that is something else. I think we do Pentax a disservice by constantly complaining about the AF without defining what is meant. Any casual reader to these forums would go away with the idea that Pentax cameras are no better than random chance at auto focus when nothing could be further from the truth.

</RANT> Sorry for the rant but may I humbly suggest that complaints about AF specify whether they are talking about TRACKING or AUTO FOCUS. They are not the same, and it is mildly irritating to constantly be barraged by these complaints when I cannot get a miss-focused image even if I try.

04-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #698
Veteran Member

The K-3 have an ok AF..not good or among the best. But its a start...on the next cameras, it will be a couple of steps better again..and so it will continue..
04-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #699
Pentaxian

I do find K-3 focusing just fine. Little better and that would be as good as I would care. But I'm not shooting sports...some birds yes. But with good lens, no problems.
04-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
The K-3 have an ok AF..not good or among the best.
It actually IS among the best, if we are talking about low light focusing and accuracy in the AF-S mode. It's "just ok" in tracking, but that is just one side of the story.
04-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #701
Pentaxian

Pentax is great among APS-c cameras, compared to some full frames, it's left in the dust One test listed some sample focus times... .1 second for a D610 .5 s for a Pentax. For the average shooter maybe not a big deal, but shooting wildlife in burst mode with AF priority enabled kill the speed of your burst mode In that case, .1 vs .5 is huge.

I've tried burst mode with AF priority enabled. It crawls, With shutter priority enabled it flies.
04-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #702
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax is great among APS-c cameras, compared to some full frames, it's left in the dust One test listed some sample focus times... .1 second for a D610 .5 s for a Pentax. For the average shooter maybe not a big deal, but shooting wildlife in burst mode with AF priority enabled kill the speed of your burst mode In that case, .1 vs .5 is huge.

I've tried burst mode with AF priority enabled. It crawls, With shutter priority enabled it flies.
AF is something that they have worked a great deal on, to present og the coming cameras.
04-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax is great among APS-c cameras, compared to some full frames, it's left in the dust One test listed some sample focus times... .1 second for a D610 .5 s for a Pentax. For the average shooter maybe not a big deal, but shooting wildlife in burst mode with AF priority enabled kill the speed of you burst mode In that case, .1 vs .5 is huge.
The speed is lens dependent so you need to compare it with comparable lens - try two screwdriven 50s or two Sigma HSMs on both. If we are talking about AF-S accuracy and low light speed and accuracy it really is among the best DSLRs (and not only APS-C ones). And the K-5II/s were there too before.
AF-C and tracking is another thing and while the K-3 is a noticeable improvement over the K-5II (which was a slight improvement over older bodies) it is not at the same level as Canikons (excluding some entry level bodies).
04-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #704
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just ordered out a pallet of microwave popcorn.

The next month is going to be fun. The next year is going to be hilarious.*

* Esp. on that other camera forum.
04-11-2015, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #705
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really wish there was a camera that would have a "kid mode" for auto focus tracking. Tracking assumes some kind of consistent behavior/movement, but a two year old doesn't do anything at all consistent and doesn't hold still for more than 2 and a half seconds.

The kid mode would really put Pentax on the map and kill Canon and Nikon sales.