Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 300 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #706
Veteran Member

I have no problems shooting my 3 years old daughter with the K-5IIs - yes, she moves constantly and the most of my photos are at f/2 at pretty close distance.

04-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #707
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really wish there was a camera that would have a "kid mode" for auto focus tracking. Tracking assumes some kind of consistent behavior/movement, but a two year old doesn't do anything at all consistent and doesn't hold still for more than 2 and a half seconds.

The kid mode would really put Pentax on the map and kill Canon and Nikon sales.
In a few weeks, my youngest will have left the terrible twos 19 years ago. These days he's a twelve year old in the body of an adult.

You only need basic AF-C and more DOF. A two year old is either coming towards you or running/stumbling away from you. Depending on whether you want their face or behind in the frame, you vary your prompting behaviour. I found the P3N, a 28-70 zoom and a TTL flash was adequate, but I had to start taking pictures from a distance (so my bounce flash was often too weak) and after advancing the film, my kids had started to act unnaturally, so there were a lot of single shots. I tried posed shots for a while, but they always went wrong. Maybe I'll go through my slides and get a few scanned for posting.
04-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #708
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I have no problems shooting my 3 years old daughter with the K-5IIs - yes, she moves constantly and the most of my photos are at f/2 at pretty close distance.
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
In a few weeks, my youngest will have left the terrible twos 19 years ago. These days he's a twelve year old in the body of an adult.

You only need basic AF-C and more DOF. A two year old is either coming towards you or running/stumbling away from you. Depending on whether you want their face or behind in the frame, you vary your prompting behaviour. I found the P3N, a 28-70 zoom and a TTL flash was adequate, but I had to start taking pictures from a distance (so my bounce flash was often too weak) and after advancing the film, my kids had started to act unnaturally, so there were a lot of single shots. I tried posed shots for a while, but they always went wrong. Maybe I'll go through my slides and get a few scanned for posting.
Sorry. I suppose I should have put a smiley after my comment. I was being facetious.

I get fine photos of my kids. Most of focusing is learning your tools and how to put yourself in the best position to get sharp photos.
04-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #709
Veteran Member

I was being facetious.
Ok, you got me - I missed the last sentence of your post.

04-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #710
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really wish there was a camera that would have a "kid mode" for auto focus tracking. Tracking assumes some kind of consistent behavior/movement, but a two year old doesn't do anything at all consistent and doesn't hold still for more than 2 and a half seconds.

I know this was perhaps tongue and cheek, but Sony actually has something like that. The A6000 identifies subjects as a "child" or "infant" and makes some adjustments accordingly.
04-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #711
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And why is it that the only measure of AF is tracking something that is moving fast? I for one have never used the AF-C function, I don't shoot things that move.
Me neither and I don't care of AF tracking but there was some comment explaining the tracking feature come from the new lenses. AF tracking zhen implemented work on all lenses even the very old screw drive. The tracking also typically doesn't require a fast lense as you follow an object and the focus change continuously but slowly.

But this is primarily a camera feature K3 doesn't really have.

Do I care for my usage? Really not. Would a sport/action shooter would care? Yes
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #712
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The A6000 identifies subjects as a "child" or "infant" and makes some adjustments accordingly.
Yes, you point it at Mel Gibson and it goes off, too!

04-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #713
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Me neither and I don't care of AF tracking but there was some comment explaining the tracking feature come from the new lenses. AF tracking zhen implemented work on all lenses even the very old screw drive. The tracking also typically doesn't require a fast lense as you follow an object and the focus change continuously but slowly.

But this is primarily a camera feature K3 doesn't really have.
As a frequent action shooter, I disagree. Tracking on the K-3 is amazing, and you don't need new lenses to experience it.
04-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #714
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
AF is something that they have worked a great deal on, to present og the coming cameras.
good to hear..as the new lenses seem to prepare for this...sorry Nikon..maybe next life
04-11-2015, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #715
Veteran Member

yes and while at it..a bird mode..shouldn't be too hard to recognize size,feather type,& program in 'typical' behavior patterns..

camera--find bird eating in tree--give me good shots(please)............
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #716
Inactive Account

Almost all
04-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
good to hear..as the new lenses seem to prepare for this...sorry Nikon..maybe next life
Nikon is so last year
04-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #718
Banned

I have rumours to share too.
It may as well be possible that Pentax will introduce a fixed lens, mirrorless compact camera based on the 645Z chip. Size is ~ Sony RX1 but wider for better grip. First ever digital MF compact. 35mm f2.8 optics. Price at ~$1599. Battery life 450 shots. In-built ND filter, ISO up to 300K. It is supposed to stomp over X100, X2 and RX1 market like Godzilla.
How about that?

Last edited by Uluru; 04-11-2015 at 11:47 PM.
04-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #719
Veteran Member

Hahaha ^^ Thanx for the laugh
04-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #720

kenspo: I think it is great that pentax will come up with a FF and a K3 successor and I will go for them but one question will be how much they will support the old K5 and old K3. I guess there is still room to improve the AF with software updates and I really hope they dont forget the old cameras and have a good software platform to work with to keep old cameras updates too.
I will buy the new ones anyway but so many companies have lost my thrust becauase they dropped support much too early. I would even prefere the menue design on the K5 100% like they did on the K3, same colors everything. Many people have two or more bodies and when the newest is at the service or somewhere else its nice to have them as similar as possbile.