Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new era?

This new lenses seems to signal that the old tradition of small, light, and especially cheap lenses from Pentax is over.

I think that today, both Sigma and Tamron are making plans to release all their lenses with Pentax mount. D FA 150-450mm is almost 500$ more expensive than Sigma 150-600mm S, and twice the price of the Tamron counter part. Still Pentax 150-450mm is the only one with AW. Almost the same goes for the 70-200mm. Heavier and much more expensive than Sigma and Tamron, but with AW. Lets just hope that the Pentax lenses optical quality, AF speed, and construction is also much better, so that the weather sealing not to be the only advantage.

Some people may think that this prices will drop very quickly and very much, like those of K-3 and K-S1. Personally I doubt that this will be the case.

PS. I've made a bad choice of words. When I said ''cheap'' I really want to say inexpensive. Thanks to ''monochrome'' for correction.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 02-05-2015 at 10:35 AM.
02-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
This new lenses seems to signal that the old tradition of small, light, and especially cheap lenses from Pentax is over.
Do you really think so? Just because Pentax makes a new camera and some lenses for the pro-marked, they will put everything else away? Think again..
02-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #153
Veteran Member

About cheap lenses, I'm pretty sure. All lenses launched in the last three years are not cheap. About the rest, we will see. Maybe small will still be an attribute for some of them.
02-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't believe Pentax makes anything that is cheap. Inexpensive, sure - cheap, I disagree.

02-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #155
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well if the FF is in a form factor similar to the K3 then yeah, they will have the small and light body down.
02-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't believe Pentax makes anything that is cheap. Inexpensive, sure - cheap, I disagree.
Yes, you're right. Inexpensive. Bad choice of words.
02-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #157
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Do you really think so? Just because Pentax makes a new camera and some lenses for the pro-marked, they will put everything else away? Think again..
I'm hoping that Pentax will be coming out with lenses like a top-quality 70-200 f4 lens, for those of us who don't want to haul a trailer with a bunch of heavy lenses. Yeah, I know that Canikon does that sort of thing, but it does make sense, eh?

02-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a long thread, so I might have missed something.

Do these two lenses have screw drive AF on them? If not, does it mean the new FF camera won't have a screw drive motor?

--maybe has been discussed somewhere already, but can any one tell for sure?
02-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #159
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote

Do these two lenses have screw drive AF on them? If not, does it mean the new FF camera won't have a screw drive motor?

Both are DC, but the body will likely support both screwdrive and SDM/DC/HSM
02-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #160
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
OS on them Does this mean what I think it means? Will there be wailing and gnashing of teeth?
It could mean that to keep the body size done on a ff body, the opted to go this route for ff.
02-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do these two lenses have screw drive AF on them?
No. They are KAF3.
If not, does it mean the new FF camera won't have a screw drive motor?
No. The body will (apparently) be KAF(crippled)-2, meaning it will have a screwdrive motor.

For sure - probably not, but this seems to be emerging consensus.

As a sidebar, the special AF switches and on-lens AF button for the 150~400 will only work (after a FW update) with the K-3 and K-S1 and later cameras, per Ricoh websites. All the regular functions will be fine though - it's just the special switches that require the FW update.
02-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both are DC, but the body will likely support both screwdrive and SDM/DC/HSM
Thanks. Good to know.
BTW, it is because DC does not compatible with screw drive AF? All duel-AF lenses are SDM and screw drive. All DC lenses to far, 18-135 and these two, are DC only?
02-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #163
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It could mean that to keep the body size done on a ff body, the opted to go this route for ff.
Looks like there isn't OS in the lens, so it looks like Pentax will be the first actual FF DSLR with IBIS. I figured if they would have been OS lenses that it would have been another reason to have people saying Pentax is Doomed. Of course now that the full specs have been released on the lenses I am seeing people still complaining about them, mainly weight and price. I think this means that Pentax is Doomed regardless of what comes from them!
02-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like there isn't OS in the lens, so it looks like Pentax will be the first actual FF DSLR with IBIS.
I love to see that. My takumars can still be stabilized, and all FAs and DAs. I will cry if pentax decided to put SR on lens only.

I have an A7, and I really miss the SR.
02-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Good to know.
BTW, it is because DC does not compatible with screw drive AF? All duel-AF lenses are SDM and screw drive. All DC lenses to far, 18-135 and these two, are DC only?
I don't suppose it is yet clear whether the lenses have gearing for screwdrive.. The body has screwdrive motor for backward compatibility with (presumably) FA and earlier D-FA lenses.

[EDIT: Adding] On the other Forum asahi man says the in-lens AF system is completely new technology - BOTH the motors and the drive system.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-05-2015 at 01:11 PM.