Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 02:07 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I wouldnt be 100% sponsored by Pentax, if they didnt want to "attack" the european marked. They use me to reach out to other pro's..Pentax and Ricoh have a long term plan, also for the marked outside Japan. We'll see changes in the time to come, that will also include promoting, advertisment + + +
(Laughs) Which of the marketing department's writing your lines, Ken?

Nicely done! :-D

02-04-2015, 02:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Hehe...Its my own words All i do towards Pentax, is reporting back with what i feel is good, not good, what other people say etc..That a pro jumped from Nikon to Pentax, made such a big wave here in Norway, that a magazine did 5 pages about me and my photography
02-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I wouldnt be 100% sponsored by Pentax, if they didnt want to "attack" the european marked. They use me to reach out to other pro's..Pentax and Ricoh have a long term plan, also for the marked outside Japan. We'll see changes in the time to come, that will also include promoting, advertisment + + +
I am glad they (Ricoh) is reaching out to pros. I am curious if you are a 645z user? If so, Pentax hit a home run in the MF space and currently is the hottest thing going for value in that space.

Unfortunately, the medium format market is so small, it does not even register on the scale. The bigger question is gaining market share in the FF DSLR or ML segment. In order to do that you have to take someone else's share away i.e, Canon, Nikon, etc. Taking market share from the 900 Lb. gorrilas of the market is a mamouth task... read takes a lot of money, lots and lots! The question is if Ricoh is that committed to the Pentax brand to throw massive marketing/advertising dollars at it. Not to mention offering much more robust and compelling line of cameras and lenses compared to what the others are currently offering.

There are examples of the "orphan child!" taking shares of the "rich kids" in various product categories. The question is if Ricoh is listening and is willing to do what it takes?
02-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #19

Personally, I think that Pentax has a huge opportunity in America if it would be innovative like it used to be... meaning with the K1000 back in the day. Affordable, solid, great pics w/o the gimmicks.

Instead of chasing pros, put together a group of everyday people following their passions (or helping them follow their passions :-) and do a web diary of their journeys. These days you don't need expensive TV adverts since everyone is already on the web. They (the everyday people) could do workshops around the country, visit photo groups, demo at art schools, and more.

Biggest selling points, to me at least, is that its a camera thats much more affordable & is as good as its competition on a sunny day. When it rains, it blows them away.

Last edited by MyTZuS; 02-04-2015 at 06:57 AM.
02-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That would explain, somewhat, why I've yet to see anyone else here using Pentax gear. This then would appear to show we are pretty much the definition of niche outside of Japan and, thus, this might mean, once FF hits (provided it is a big success), the forums could be filled with the same garbage that the Canon and Nikon forums (which is different than the garbage here currently haha) are.

"My images are completely black.. I think the camera is broken" take off your lens cap "why is the lens wearing a hat?" /facepalm

"My mega pricey FF camera takes awesome pictures in auto. Never have to take it out of portrait mode." /facepalm

"Why are my images so soft? This camera must be defective.. I have it set to 2 seconds shutter, ISO 51200, f/2.8 handheld but my images don't look like the ones I see in the wedding catalog. I spent good money on this camera and it isn't taking great photos for me and my new company I started 3 days after buying this camera." /facepalm

Get ready for this, Pentaxians.
It won't be that bad - the K-3 was a "best of 2013", and we just had a slight uptick in "why does my camera make a clunking noise" posts. Even if the FF is awesome, Pentax just doesn't have the infrastructure to advertise / sell that many of them outside of Japan. And since <a certain popular review site> won't complete their lukewarm review of it for a year, most of the masses won't know it exists until it is "old" and outdated.
02-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh first need to protect first their domestic turf with product that Japanese will buy, otherwise volume is not high enough for the rest of the world. I dont want FF but that will help them in other parts of the world were bigger is better . But Ricoh will never be able to beat Nikon or Canon in mainstream market. They cannot be all thing to everybody . They need to focus .
Yes , the # I put come directly from their 9 months quarterly reports . And from information I found the Other business segment is only digital camera.
02-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Love your words, kenspo! :-D
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
i agree with that. Most seems to forget that Ricoh has to build back the brand to its former glory and that will take time.
Step by step..Pentax will rise..Finally
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Ahem.

When do I get to say, "See? Told 'ya."

02-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ahem.

well, i'm saying that since Ricoh took over and read their statement.
Sooooo, after me?
02-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
well, i'm saying that since Ricoh took over and read their statement.
Sooooo, after me?
My first post of that phrase was December 16, 2011. But I defer to your locale and ability to source new products faster.
02-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Is it real? The U.S total sale is around 30m$ USD only?
I bet 90% of that small market is located right here on PF!
02-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ahem.

Hehe, you tell'em!!!!
02-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Good point Boris. I would be curious to know how many members this forum has. Is that a secret or something the moderator can share?

Let's face it we are Pentaxians and each one of us can be an ambassador for the brand. We believe in it for one reason or the other. However, being a long time loyalist is totally different from trying to convince someone new to choose the "no name" or lesser known brand.
02-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I would be curious to know how many members this forum has. Is that a secret or something the moderator can share?
That number is available in the 'statistics' section at the bottom of the forums page. As of today, it's 67,135. That is worldwide, and probably includes a lot of inactive accounts.

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 10:47 AM ----------

Ahem.

I fully believe that a person's inalienable rights include life, liberty, and saying "I told you so".
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That number is available in the 'statistics' section at the bottom of the forums page. As of today, it's 67,135. That is worldwide, and probably includes a lot of inactive accounts.

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 10:47 AM ----------

I fully believe that a person's inalienable rights include life, liberty, and saying "I told you so".
Thank you for the heads up on the numbers.
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
True!