Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 09:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh Digital camers sales per Region

When I say sometimes that Ricoh main market is Japan and that product development is targeted at that market, well sales number just publisher for the first 9 month of fiscal years prove it.
Digital Cameras is under Others business for Ricoch and from what I read that include only that business

Sales Domestic (Japan) 75.7 Billions yens 84,6 % share
Europe, Middle east and Africa 5.5 6.1%
Others 4.6 5.1%
America 3,7 4.1%

Only sales in Japan increase in 2014.

Information available here
http://www.ricoh.com/IR/financial_data/financial_result/index.html

Will be interesting if things change next year with introduction of camera that seem to be targeted more to US and European user.

Last edited by bobmaxja; 02-03-2015 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Add soiurce
02-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
When I say sometimes that Ricoh main market is Japan and that product development is targeted at that market, well sales number just publisher for the first 9 month of fiscal years prove it.
Digital Cameras is under Others business for Ricoch and from what I read that include only that business

Others 4.6 5.1%
America 3,7 4.1%

Financial Results / Investor Relations / About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

Will be interesting if things change next year with introduction of camera that seem to be targeted more to US and European user.
Is it real? The U.S total sale is around 30m$ USD only?
02-03-2015, 09:22 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No marketing, no distribution, no presence at retail = no sales.
02-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
That sounds quite reasonable. It's let's say 20,000 K-50s, and 5,000 K-3s and a few thousand lenses.

02-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Less than that, even - the category in the report is actually "The Americas" - all of North and South America combined.
02-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's pretty sad if it's true. Not sure if these numbers apply to camera products or others as well.

With that said, I'm sure the non-US divisions are making efforts to increase sales in their respective regions. Things like that don't happen overnight.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No marketing, no distribution, no presence at retail = no sales.
This is the thing that's just amazing to me.

Just add a little sprinkling of advertising and a solidly functioning mfr website, accurate and responsive contact email addresses, reliable and fast service center.... that's all it would take to make big strides.

I love my Pentax gear, but the inaction of the company on the commercial front continues to amaze me. Many buy their gear in spite of the company's seeming indifference to even having customers. At least they still have booths at preview shows.

Baffling...

02-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that's an eye opener.

Many may sneer at the Q, but it probably pays the bills! :-D

Last edited by clackers; 02-03-2015 at 11:46 PM.
02-03-2015, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
mee
Veteran Member

That would explain, somewhat, why I've yet to see anyone else here using Pentax gear. This then would appear to show we are pretty much the definition of niche outside of Japan and, thus, this might mean, once FF hits (provided it is a big success), the forums could be filled with the same garbage that the Canon and Nikon forums (which is different than the garbage here currently haha) are.

"My images are completely black.. I think the camera is broken" take off your lens cap "why is the lens wearing a hat?" /facepalm

"My mega pricey FF camera takes awesome pictures in auto. Never have to take it out of portrait mode." /facepalm

"Why are my images so soft? This camera must be defective.. I have it set to 2 seconds shutter, ISO 51200, f/2.8 handheld but my images don't look like the ones I see in the wedding catalog. I spent good money on this camera and it isn't taking great photos for me and my new company I started 3 days after buying this camera." /facepalm

Get ready for this, Pentaxians.
02-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Others 4.6 5.1%
America 3,7 4.1%

Financial Results / Investor Relations / About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

Which of the reports did you take those figures from? I must say my impression was that Pentax sold more than this outside Japan, not least because at one stage anyway the "Other" category also included a leasing business which had nothing to do with cameras. Pentax seem to be pretty popular in places like France, so those figures are a surprise and I wonder if they are correct.

That said, where I live, Pentax is often the only one of the 6-7 main brands absent from where cameras are sold. In a big London airport shop a few days ago I saw everything from a Nikon D4s and the top Nikon/Canon lenses and even the Leica M series down to compacts and GoPros, but not a single Pentax camera on the premises. It's not healthy to be invisible, IMHO.
02-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Which of the reports did you take those figures from? I must say my impression was that Pentax sold more than this outside Japan, not least because at one stage anyway the "Other" category also included a leasing business which had nothing to do with cameras.
Check the PDFs with their nine month summaries, Mecrox.

Ricoh is a wealthy company, but the cameras are a tiny part of it and are based around domestic sales
02-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldnt be 100% sponsored by Pentax, if they didnt want to "attack" the european marked. They use me to reach out to other pro's..Pentax and Ricoh have a long term plan, also for the marked outside Japan. We'll see changes in the time to come, that will also include promoting, advertisment + + +
02-04-2015, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #13

Love your words, kenspo! :-D
02-04-2015, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I wouldnt be 100% sponsored by Pentax, if they didnt want to "attack" the european marked. They use me to reach out to other pro's..Pentax and Ricoh have a long term plan, also for the marked outside Japan. We'll see changes in the time to come, that will also include promoting, advertisment + + +
i agree with that. Most seems to forget that Ricoh has to build back the brand to its former glory and that will take time.
02-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Step by step..Pentax will rise..Finally