Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I fully believe that a person's inalienable rights include life, liberty, and saying "I told you so".
In just a few hours we'll see whether there is actually punch and pie.

02-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #32
owl
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Personally, I think that Pentax has a huge opportunity in America if it would be innovative like it used to be... meaning with the K1000 back in the day. Affordable, solid, great pics w/o the gimmicks.
Instead of chasing pros, put together a group of everyday people following their passions (or helping them follow their passions :-) and do a web diary of their journeys. These days you don't need expensive TV adverts since everyone is already on the web. They (the everyday people) could do workshops around the country, visit photo groups, demo at art schools, and more.
Biggest selling points, to me at least, is that its a camera thats much more affordable & is as good as its competition on a sunny day. When it rains, it blows them away.
I loved my K1000 and appreciated the superior build as compared to its price point comparisons, it was everything that I needed at the time and was incredibly reliable, surviving a car crash that destroyed the lens that was mounted on it. However, the second part of the statement no longer holds as today's Pentax DSLRs in fact have all of the gimmicks (save for pro video), their value just isn't promoted commercially.

In my experience in my circle of friends, those that have Pentax cameras are thrilled with them and those who have the Canikon consumer cameras aren't, in fact I am frequently asked to "fix" them to make them produce the images that they expect (they aren't broken and produce fine images if you know how to use them and can hold them steady enough, but realization never matches expectation). So why do they keep buying? Easy, they see pros use them and of course see the advertisements. A marketing appeal to be different seems like a good idea but I have never seen it actually work in any market for any product. The masses want to conform and be like those whom they admire and wish to emulate. Sponsoring pros is a great idea, the higher the profile, the better. But you also have to buy advertising - I believe that I saw a Pentax camera on a TV show last night, I recognized the strap but the network blurred the logo because they aren't advertisers.
02-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ahem.

When do I get to say, "See? Told 'ya."
You've shotgun blasted the forums with a lot of things in the past year.. it makes sense that a percentage of them would come true.
02-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You've shotgun blasted the forums with a lot of things in the past year.. it makes sense that a percentage of them would come true.
Surely the truth - but I've never wavered from the statement 'Ricoh has a Plan' - and they know where they're going. It has always been the disconnect between their time horizon and our time horizon that has caused the negativity here.

FWIW, late August 2014 I became convinced FF release would happen in 2015 and I've tried to say, 'I think' more often. .

02-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #35
Forum Member

Whatever is announced, and no matter how much of an improvement. DPR will still slag off Pentax till the cows come home, or until Pentax drop of a wheelbarrow of dollars at there office.

Just hope the other press are a bit more balanced and fairer with their coverage.
02-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That would explain, somewhat, why I've yet to see anyone else here using Pentax gear. This then would appear to show we are pretty much the definition of niche outside of Japan and, thus, this might mean, once FF hits (provided it is a big success), the forums could be filled with the same garbage that the Canon and Nikon forums (which is different than the garbage here currently haha) are.

"My images are completely black.. I think the camera is broken" take off your lens cap "why is the lens wearing a hat?" /facepalm

"My mega pricey FF camera takes awesome pictures in auto. Never have to take it out of portrait mode." /facepalm

"Why are my images so soft? This camera must be defective.. I have it set to 2 seconds shutter, ISO 51200, f/2.8 handheld but my images don't look like the ones I see in the wedding catalog. I spent good money on this camera and it isn't taking great photos for me and my new company I started 3 days after buying this camera." /facepalm

Get ready for this, Pentaxians.
you haven't been reading the K3 Help forum have you?.....lol
02-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Gallery
There was one other thing in that "other" bussiness if I'm correct. Something with financial lease or so. That is probably just for Japan.

Remember that those numbers represent just the $ for Ricoh and that all others in the chain also have a part of the salescake that we pay in shops.

02-04-2015, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

75 billion Yen is about $650 million US. The ROI for Other will be measured against the capital investment for that division only. That's also net sales (i.e. to distributors), so retail value of products sold is probably close to $1.5 billion US. As long as Other makes money, Ricoh doesn't care how big Other is, it is only a sideline to the main businesses of Ricoh. A $1.5 billion sideline is nothing to sneeze at. No pressure to assist the mother corporation with cash flow, so keep working on new projects, as long as they don't require massive amounts of capital. The capital intensive camera components (sensors and CPU's) are already contracted out.

The ratio of EMEA region to Americas to Other (Asia-Pacific, not including Japan) of 6.1:4.1:5.1 isn't drastically different from the ILC market overall. Pentax is doing better in Europe than Americas, which is different from the rest of the industry, but the Asia-Pacific (ex. Japan) region will overtake the Americas industry-wide any day now, if it hasn't already. ILC's are a mature market with long consumer replacement cycles, so first-time ILC buyers will skew sales figures. I'm guessing, but within the Americas region for Ricoh, it might be split 60% US, 25% Canada and 15% Latin America. Not enough to support a large dedicated sales force, or flashy ad campaigns, but still enough to justify pursuing those markets.

So if PRIAC's marketing sucks, Ricoh's Other division still sells enough cameras worldwide to keep coming out with new products. Mind you, if they are smart, those products will targeted at the Asian market (including Japan) because a) that's where most of the first time ILC buyers are and b) that's where the lion's share of existing customers are (who are your target market for upgrades and accessories-like lenses). Unlike automobiles and food, a camera designed for the Asian market still works in other markets. Unlike dairy products, it doesn't matter if it takes 3 months to produce a camera in Asia and ship it to England. Even the big players in the industry tend to build similar cameras for the U.S. and Europe as they do for Japan. Deciding to sell a particular model only in Japan, or changing the model names for different customers, are marketing decisions that have minimal impact on manufacturing decisions.

Finally, this is the Internet Age. Some products still have to placed in the hands of potential customers, so they can feel and see them for themselves before buying, but cameras aren't that type of product. Especially when the end user typically knows more about cameras than the person selling the camera. A good return policy and close-to-next-day delivery, to reduce the potential for buyer remorse, along with a good website, is all you need to sell cameras to people who have experience owning cameras. And admit it, part of the fun of owning Pentax equipment is the opportunity to demonstrate how knowledgeable we are to people who don't know what a Pentax is.

Pentax isn't really doomed, but if you want to believe it is, that's okay too. Ricoh won't stop making them because of you, so no need to feel guilty.
02-04-2015, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

When do I get to say, "See? Told 'ya."
When America has its own version of Kenspo

BTW, i am available Ricoh, I am KenMar
02-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shhh Quote
Whatever is announced, and no matter how much of an improvement. DPR will still slag off Pentax till the cows come home, or until Pentax drop of a wheelbarrow of dollars at there office.

Just hope the other press are a bit more balanced and fairer with their coverage.
It's like treating hemorrhoids to try and read the "other site" with trolls, goblins, obfuscation, meaningless polls and awards, native advertising, and editorial denial of alternatives.
02-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
When America has its own version of Kenspo

BTW, i am available Ricoh, I am KenMar
There can be only one of me
02-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Kenneth MacLeod from the clan MacLeod?
02-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shhh Quote

I have a theory that someone at DPR ran one of the brick-and-mortar stores that Hoya-Pentax alienated. If anything, they are useful to us in understanding the indifferent-to-hostile mindset that Pentax has to overcome if they want to get into more stores. Just showing up with a great product won't be enough.
02-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Kenneth MacLeod from the clan MacLeod?
Kenneth Marks from the Southern California Marks clan...but we do love our Scotch Whiskey
02-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #45
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
you haven't been reading the K3 Help forum have you?.....lol
I have not..