Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #1606
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,092
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
In the EXIF, you say the metering mode is "Pattern." What does this mean? Is it the best mode to use for bird photos?

Cheers,
Loyd
That should be the multi-segment mode. Use depends on where and the bird is and how well the lighting is spread out. For a single bird inflight against a bright sky, spot metering on the bird will be better.

06-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #1607
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,076
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
That should be the multi-segment mode. Use depends on where and the bird is and how well the lighting is spread out. For a single bird inflight against a bright sky, spot metering on the bird will be better.
Spot metering helps in brush too .
06-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #1608
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,092
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Spot metering helps in brush too .
True, it all depends on subject placement and lighting
06-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #1609
Senior Member
Mccsiz's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
That should be the multi-segment mode. Use depends on where and the bird is and how well the lighting is spread out. For a single bird inflight against a bright sky, spot metering on the bird will be better.
MLT, I usually use spot metering. Are you saying that multi-segment metering is better in a mix of sun and shade? What do you think Pichaser?

Cheers,
Loyd

06-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #1610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,076
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
MLT, I usually use spot metering. Are you saying that multi-segment metering is better in a mix of sun and shade? What do you think Pichaser?

Cheers,
Loyd
Simply put the spot on the place you need to meter . With many birds there isn't time for deliberation . Use raw files to make editing easier and or possible .
06-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #1611
Senior Member
Mccsiz's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Simply put the spot on the place you need to meter . With many birds there isn't time for deliberation . Use raw files to make editing easier and or possible .
Yes, that's what I usually do. I haven't tried multi-segment metering with birds, but if there are some situations when multi-segment metering is best, I would like to hear about them.

Cheers,
Loyd
06-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #1612
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,478
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
When you photographed the creeper, were you in deep shade? If so, how did you adjust the camera for such a great shot?
Thank Lloyd! I just checked the details and it was f8.0, 1/500s and 400 ISO at 450mm and -0.3EV. So it really can't have been deep shade - which doesn't generally exist under Eucalyptus trees. The leaves of Eucalypts mostly hang vertically, so they don't generate deep shade like a rainforest or even northern hemisphere deciduous forest. Metering was centre-weighted and it would have been spot AF. I was fortunate that the Treecreeper was quite low on the trunk and focussed on a grub he was digging out of the bark. With the K3 I generally set the ISO no higher than 400 and the mode at that time would have been aperture priority with a high shutter speed bias set.

06-22-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #1613
Senior Member
Mccsiz's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thank Lloyd! I just checked the details and it was f8.0, 1/500s and 400 ISO at 450mm and -0.3EV. So it really can't have been deep shade - which doesn't generally exist under Eucalyptus trees. The leaves of Eucalypts mostly hang vertically, so they don't generate deep shade like a rainforest or even northern hemisphere deciduous forest. Metering was centre-weighted and it would have been spot AF. I was fortunate that the Treecreeper was quite low on the trunk and focussed on a grub he was digging out of the bark. With the K3 I generally set the ISO no higher than 400 and the mode at that time would have been aperture priority with a high shutter speed bias set.
We have Brown Creepers here in the BC interior. The canopy usually shades them, making it difficult to photograph the little guys.

Thank you for stating your settings and for providing a useful description of the setting. I can apply what you tell me to my experience.

Cheers,
Loyd
06-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #1614
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,478
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
We have Brown Creepers here in the BC interior. The canopy usually shades them, making it difficult to photograph the little guys.
Thank you for stating your settings and for providing a useful description of the setting. I can apply what you tell me to my experience.
You're welcome! I assume the trees in BC would be mostly either conifers or broad-leaf deciduous types, and in the latter case you'll have quite a dense canopy.
06-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #1615
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 16
No Problem as I do not have one. I must admit it is on the list. Many people I respect rate HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm as one of the great lenses but currently not one I need.
06-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #1616
Senior Member
Mccsiz's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
You're welcome! I assume the trees in BC would be mostly either conifers or broad-leaf deciduous types, and in the latter case you'll have quite a dense canopy.
Brown creepers prefer Interior Douglas Fir forests. These conifers create a lot of shade because their crowns are wide. In the winter, these trees intercept a lot of snow. Makes it easier to walk.

Cheers,
Loyd
06-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #1617
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,478
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Brown creepers prefer Interior Douglas Fir forests. These conifers create a lot of shade because their crowns are wide. In the winter, these trees intercept a lot of snow. Makes it easier to walk.
Ah, that makes sense. There's an arboretum in the mountains near here which has Douglas Fir, and it's very dark under them. Australia has large plantations of conifers from North America, especially California Coast Pine (Pinus radiata).
06-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #1618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,780
Harlequin ducks

06-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #1619
Senior Member
Mccsiz's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Harlequin ducks
They look truly happy, despite the heatwave!

Cheers,
Loyd
06-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #1620
Senior Member
Mccsiz's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It's going to be hard unless you can get closer. If you're shooting from a fixed location, a tripod will help to reduce motion blur. DXO Photolab works with the K3 (not yet with the K3iii) and has some excellent AI noise reduction on RAW. I find however that its JPEG engine tends to produce artifacts in subtle shades like sunsets. I mention it because it may help you use a higher ISO like 1600 to get a better shutter speed. The sort of settings I was using on the K3 was - spot focus AFS, centre weighted AE, aperture priority, auto ISO up to 1600, and I think you can also set the camera to bias for high shutter speeds. On APS-C, the DFA 150-450 is reasonably sharp wide open and gives really nice bokeh. Make sure that SR is on, of course.

The only other thing if you have enough light is to consider the HDDA 1.4x TC but honestly I don't use mine very much. It adds a little softness and creates a field of view which is very small. I am generally shooting hand held while I walk around rather than from a specific spot with a tripod. Maybe try camouflage clothes to see if you can get closer? It doesn't seem to help me much though!
How could DXO Photolab help me improve this image?

Cheers,
Loyd
Attached Images
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, 150-450mm, af, barrel, bigma, crop, da*300, dc, focus, grass, hd, image quality, iq, kg, lens, lots, mm, motor, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-d fa 150-450mm, position, price, shots, tc, thread, tripod, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR samples flomat Lens Sample Photo Archive 53 08-29-2021 03:31 PM
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR Adam Pentax News and Rumors 917 03-13-2015 12:59 PM
Three-part review of HD Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR (Japanese) odyseuss Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 94 12-01-2014 10:44 AM
First Look Video: HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Thomasbrowphoto Pentax Medium Format 10 08-06-2014 06:37 PM
HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Lens Review i83N Pentax News and Rumors 2 08-04-2014 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top