04-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
We shall see.
You can see samples in links above.

04-18-2015, 05:27 AM   #482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It does not justify the moaning. Too epxensive foy rou? Fine. For me too. So?
Is it too expensive for what it brings ? That's another story which is mostly objective and can be discussed without moaning.
It may end up being too expensive for what it brings. But moaning now about price without propoer review/trial is dumb.
This is mostly subjective. Whatever the price asked(*) you have to compound it with what you will do with it and how much effort you may need for this sort of money. I would likely prefer to go to Kenya and buy a 55-300 than get the 150-450 and stay at home. I would be much more likely to come with awesome photo in the first case than in the second one.

But if I was going to spend 1 weekend out of 2 to take wildlife shoots maybe I'd consider the 150-450 a good offer... Even throug I might think of 60-250 + TC or DA300 + TC as serious alternatives.

(*) that can vary a lot depending of region, if you can avoid to pay VAT or reduce it from your taxes or even if you buy it now or in 1 year when the price can be 10-15% cheaper.
04-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #483
Pentaxian

All right, what's your point? That Pentax should only make cheap, light, poor quality consumer-level lenses? Or at most mid-level ones?
04-18-2015, 05:50 AM   #484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
All right, what's your point? That Pentax should only make cheap, light, poor quality consumer-level lenses? Or at most mid-level ones?
Pentax should do what they want to do and consumers should do what they want to do too...

It not better or worse as a company to target premium, consumer grade or low cost products.

I have no issue with 150-450 lense in all honesty like I have no issue with DA50 f/1.8. Do not mean I should buy one or another or even one is better than the other. The DA50 is surely better for many use case despite being much less expensive. Hey it may even be sharper and more constrasty. And it surely have wider apperture.

This didn't prevent me to choose FA77 in the end for my moderate tele and portraiture needs. But I don't think everybody has to buy the FA77 neither.

04-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #485
Site Supporter

Thanks lot !
It appears some people here just have eyes to whine, and didn't even look through this blog
04-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #486
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I hope is that it is as good a lens as the Canon 100-400 particularly @ the long end. Love to have the Pentax colours in a decent long lens.
04-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #487
Forum Member

Thanks for that!! Finally some user pictures!

The long end doesn't look as good as expected, especially the building pictures (awful). Hope it's just vibration from 1/100th shutter.
The trains look ok, but that's all. Although it's a moving target, so that's a plus.

---------- Post added 04-18-15 at 03:40 PM ----------

The Canon 100-400 is around the same amount, and is quite nice.
Nailed it.

Is this quite nice? If it is, then we can only moan that it should be cheaper because Canikonistas are paying for the brand, so Ricoh can't charge a premium for a brand that's not yet recognised as one of the best, unless it's above the "recognised best".

But if it is at least on par with "the best", that's all we can moan.

Well, that, and that it's not on sale, and we don't know how good it is.

But you can't rush good food, and the same goes for engineering...(I hope that's the reason)
04-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #488

Photos: Albums
Up on Adorama for pre-order ($2496.95):

Pentax DSLR Lenses & Film SLR Lenses | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/PX150450.html

70-200 there too.

Last edited by Dieseler; 04-18-2015 at 07:50 AM. Reason: extra (direct) link
04-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #489
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Thanks for that!! Finally some user pictures!

The long end doesn't look as good as expected, especially the building pictures (awful). Hope it's just vibration from 1/100th shutter.
The trains look ok, but that's all. Although it's a moving target, so that's a plus.

---------- Post added 04-18-15 at 03:40 PM ----------

Nailed it.

Is this quite nice? If it is, then we can only moan that it should be cheaper because Canikonistas are paying for the brand, so Ricoh can't charge a premium for a brand that's not yet recognised as one of the best, unless it's above the "recognised best".

But you can't rush good food, and the same goes for engineering...(I hope that's the reason)
I haven't seen a photo yet that makes me want to buy it. They all look like the first three weeks worth of shots out of the canon 100-400 that a friend bought. His fourth week shots however...

We shall see. Once some serious wildlife shooters get it in their hands for a couple months.
04-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #490
Site Supporter

Once some serious wildlife shooters get it in their hands for a couple months.
Reminds me of the DA 560 shots taken by a member of this forum from the wilderness somewhere near the Inside Passage. Great tools don't make great photographs, but they do a better job of capturing what the talented and diligent photographer sees than less than great tools are capable of. I don't see any obvious deficiencies with this lens, and it has some excellent features that should be very useful in the right hands.
04-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #491
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Reminds me of the DA 560 shots taken by a member of this forum from the wilderness somewhere near the Inside Passage. Great tools don't make great photographs, but they do a better job of capturing what the talented and diligent photographer sees than less than great tools are capable of. I don't see any obvious deficiencies with this lens, and it has some excellent features that should be very useful in the right hands.
Yes and the first shots we saw from that lens were disappointing as well.

I want to see shots wide open 450 mm at 30-40 meters, on a solid tripod. A sharp lens lets you count the whiskers.
04-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Nailed it.

Because it is newer, much heavier and doesn't come with Image stabilization (*) in my book it has to be better on other aspects or cheaper. I would agree 50mm more is good we should expect more difference than that.

(*) From the report I have heard over the years, it appear that the longe the focal length, the more in lens stabilisation separate itself from in body stabilization as more efficient and help get stabilization on the OVF and AF.

To me the 100-400 from Canon look far easier to handhold.

I hope the Pentax is overall better optically, but it would need much more a tripod/monopod.
04-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #493
Pentaxian

What I could add to that iss that good gear don't make one as a great photographer. Really poor samples so far as usual. (Picture vise.)
04-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #494
Site Supporter

Agreed, but as this is usual, you still can evaluate the lens potential through those picts
04-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #495
Pentaxian

That is true. To my eyes it looks potential. What will be really interesting is to see how it will handle in good hands. I will never(never say never) have this kind of money for a zoom. But it is really good range and IF it is good ennough...I might make enough money to buy a lens like this with in the time.