Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #541
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,430
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
So there is no incentive in trying to lure consumers from other camera mounts?
We'll need to see images with the K-3 / K-3 II / FF AND THIS LENS versus comparables from Canon to really know whether there is $300 value. I don't think we can ever compare anything across platforms straight up. There are just too many uncontrolled variables.

The 150~450 is for us, not an attractor product. In a couple years when the full catalog is refreshed and released we can begin to talk about people jumping ship TO Pentax.

It's going to take Ricoh 5 - 10 years to really establish a presence. They have the time and the capital, and I believe the discipline. I hope we have the patience.


Last edited by monochrome; 04-29-2015 at 07:38 PM.
04-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #542
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We'll need to see images with the K-3 / K-3 II / FF AND THIS LENS versus comparables from Canon to really know whether there is $300 value. I don't think we can ever compare anything across platforms straight up. There are just too many uncontrolled variables.

The 150~450 is for us, not an attractor product. In a couple years when the ful catalog is refreshed and released we can begin to talk about people jumping ship TO Pentax.

It's going to take Ricoh 5 - 10 years to really establish a presence. They have the time and the capital, and I believe the discipline. I hope we have the [patience.
Well, I would not pay to much attention at a price difference; at least before the Pentax lens even hits the shops. In Germany the release price for the Canon is 2199,- EUR, and the one for the Pentax is - 2199,-

To cavil about the "lack" of OIS in the Pentax lens is pathetic. But in line with other "complains" though... whatever
04-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #543
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The biggest issue for me through is not the 300$ difference but that the Pentax doesn't provide optical IS. For 70-200 it was acceptable for 150-450, optical stab is more comfortable to use than in body stabilization.
I'm not quite sure where these biases come from. We need to see the 150-450mm lens in action with either of the new bodies before we reach conclusions like that. Just for the record, my Q-7, with its tiny sensor, works much better with a 300mm lens than I had ever hoped for, so I have great respect for Pentax's in-body SR and expect great things from the new bodies.
04-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #544
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,837
A simple comparison table of some competitor lenses to the Pentax 150-450.


Anyone who doesn't like big filter sizes and long minimum focus distances better stay away from the Sigmas and the Tamron

The Australian price of the Pentax lens hasn't been announced yet (as far as I know) but I guess locally it would be between $2500 and $3000, ie the same ballpark as the Nikon and Sigma Sport.

04-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #545
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
3 sold here in DK

There have been 3 of the 150-450 sold here in Denmark.The shop said I can get one in a week if I order now.Very Quick & the price here is cheaper than US!! about $2300 without taxes
So hope for more reviews soon on this one,as I need a really good reason to spend so much..as said here a Canon or Nikon equivalent is cheaper & better AF
so this lens better have something special...
04-29-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #546
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yes, one is a 4X zoom and one is a 3X zoom.
One is wider, one is longer...
And your point?
I would assume most of the people buying these lenses are getting them for the long end. It is also way too soon to really comment about the optical qualities of the Pentax lens, isn't it? I know folks make up their minds quickly, but as of right now, I have seen a couple of decent photos, but a lot of photos that I would have probably deleted on import (if not before). But image quality is the question.

I would also say that as of right now, the biggest thing holding back Canon lenses is Canon bodies, which are fine as far as specs, but lag a bit with regard to sensor performance. I would definitely prefer a K3 or a D7200 to a 7D MK II as of right now for my style of shooting.

People who are interested in this lens will not be bothered by a little larger lens, as long as the image quality is there, nor will the lack of optical stabilization in the lens be a problem as long as the K3 II really is that much better than a K3 in the stabilization department. Finally, I would not compare the price of a brand new lens to that of a lens that has been out for a little while. Price on release is not necessarily the price that will be on the lens in six months and street prices are often a little below MSRP.

I hesitate to say anything else, as I really don't know what the performance of this lens will be like. I think it will be pretty good, at the least, but I certainly don't know enough either to pan it or, to give it accolades. Cautious optimism would be my point of view at this point.
04-29-2015, 06:34 PM - 6 Likes   #547
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,854
There simply no issue with this lens. Currently, I work with my A-400 ƒ5.6. I expect this lens will be better than that. It gives me an upgrade path. If I can afford it. If it's a better value than a Canon, Nikon or Sony lens, I don't really care. Whether or not it will attract people to the brand, I don't care. That some say it needs VR type shake reduction, I don't care. My best images are with a 2 second delay on a tripod and no shake reduction of any kind.

People are going on and on about stuff they know nothing about, while others are just plunking their money down. It fills a niche that Pentax needed to fill, if I can come up with the money I'll buy one. And all the whining and crying about what it does and doesn't have... good grief. If you have the money it's there for you, if you don't, buy a bigma. Whatever you do get over it. It is what it is, and a lot of people have already ordered it.

Just because you aren't one of them for whatever reason doesn't mean you should be inhere trashing it. Given internet whiners or guys who actually put their money behind their opinion, I want to know what the guys who are willing to pay the big bucks to get a lens like that have to say. The whiners going on about "it costs to much, it relies on in body shake reduction, it's too heavy, I want to hear from them a little less. But then, I'm a practical kind of guy. The rest of you need to take a break. At least until some users come back with some legitimate concerns if there are any. You know guys, you want really cheap telephotos, it's amazing what you can do with a Q. You want to play with the big boys, you pony up. If you were thinking Pentax was going to give you Canon/Nikon value a cut rate prices, you were always dreaming in technicolour. Real camera companies don't do that.
04-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #548
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It gives me an upgrade path. If I can afford it. If it's a better value than a Canon, Nikon or Sony lens, I don't really care. Whether or not it will attract people to the brand, I don't care. That some say it needs VR type shake reduction, I don't care.
+1 (or more)

Looking at the chart in post #545 I would say the Pentax drops right in the middle for OEM lenses. Looks like $300 more than Canon and $200 less than Nikon. And that is pre-release price while the others are prices on lenses that have been out there a while. Not exactly fair comparing 'street' pricing and pre-release. I would guess the Pentax will drop a bit after the initial orders are filled. Or not, if sales are strong.

And like Norm says if you are looking for Ricoh to offer a cut-rate Canon you have been smoking the good stuff. They have made it clear to Kenspo they want pro shooters, that does not mean cut-rate gear.

04-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #549
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,660
I'm Groot!!!

There's a lot of folks that love Pentax for its Price/Performance. One has to realize that pentax is changing, evolving and is becoming competitive with the other makers in more than just performance. We have to get used to it,..For the thrifty shooters there's always legacy glass.
04-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #550
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 871
Comparing msrp with market price is never the Way to go. Compare canons msrp at release to pentax price.
04-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #551
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
Ahh i see how this is played...lets ignore the specs and cost of similarly spec'd items. And if they are brought to our attention, let's call them "whiners". The internet version of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "i cant hear you, i cant hear you".

I am sure only whiners read the specs of these products, not diligent consumers.

---------- Post added 04-29-15 at 10:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would assume most of the people buying these lenses are getting them for the long end. It is also way too soon to really comment about the optical qualities of the Pentax lens, isn't it? I know folks make up their minds quickly, but as of right now, I have seen a couple of decent photos, but a lot of photos that I would have probably deleted on import (if not before). But image quality is the question.

I would also say that as of right now, the biggest thing holding back Canon lenses is Canon bodies, which are fine as far as specs, but lag a bit with regard to sensor performance. I would definitely prefer a K3 or a D7200 to a 7D MK II as of right now for my style of shooting.

People who are interested in this lens will not be bothered by a little larger lens, as long as the image quality is there, nor will the lack of optical stabilization in the lens be a problem as long as the K3 II really is that much better than a K3 in the stabilization department. Finally, I would not compare the price of a brand new lens to that of a lens that has been out for a little while. Price on release is not necessarily the price that will be on the lens in six months and street prices are often a little below MSRP.

I hesitate to say anything else, as I really don't know what the performance of this lens will be like. I think it will be pretty good, at the least, but I certainly don't know enough either to pan it or, to give it accolades. Cautious optimism would be my point of view at this point.
Honestly, I am not even concerned with the optical abilities of any of these lenses. The differences between them I am sure couldn't even be seen in real life shooting. (Well amongst the OEM lenses at least). That's where the real differences matter. Weight and MFD are meaningful. Of course as is cost.

And regarding the bodies, I agree the K-3 is the best camera in this space right now. That's why I am disappointed by the price of this lens. A few hundred dollars cheaper and people would really have a viable 2nd system option.

About in body SR, I would be very skeptical about the idea that it would be as effective for a 50mm lens as it is for a 400mm lens.

---------- Post added 04-29-15 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Comparing msrp with market price is never the Way to go. Compare canons msrp at release to pentax price.
Canon is still selling at its initial release price. You can compare both prices at B&H. So assuming they both drop a couple hundred bucks, the delta in cost will remain.
04-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #552
Site Supporter
Vylen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,250
It doesn't really matter cause it's not going to change.
04-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #553
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hoevelaken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
street price in Holland is already €150 lower.
04-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #554
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,703
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I'm Groot!!!

There's a lot of folks that love Pentax for its Price/Performance. One has to realize that pentax is changing, evolving and is becoming competitive with the other makers in more than just performance. We have to get used to it,..For the thrifty shooters there's always legacy glass.
This is more that all the other lenses have IS and a good share are also cheaper. I would expect for the Pentax that offer less (no IS) to give more in the picture quality departement to compensate. Time will tell.

I understand that position of normhead is that we can just throw shitload of money and don't care. But I'am not that rich. I know that if I decide to spend 5000+ in lenses and body, I'll try to see what is best overall and would not hesitate to change brand if somewhere else is cheaper for the same or better for the same. I think AF, IS on one side... Even weight/size apparently... So on the other side it has to have something more in picture quality. We should not expect only brand loyalty to bring in the sales.
04-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #555
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,703
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
About in body SR, I would be very skeptical about the idea that it would be as effective for a 50mm lens as it is for a 400mm lens.
The guys I know that have long lenses with IS (even on Pentax through sigma) explain that it is much better than SR. It is not usefull on tripod, normhead is right, but in all other occasion it is. In particular it provide stabilization to the view finder and to the AF sensors. When you have a lense that does that on Pentax like a sigma, this is truely easy to compare as you can disable both or enable one and see what is better.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, af, barrel, bigma, crop, da*300, dc, focus, grass, hd, image quality, iq, kg, lens, lots, mm, motor, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-d fa 150-450mm, position, price, shots, tc, thread, tripod, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR samples flomat Lens Sample Photo Archive 41 04-09-2016 01:38 PM
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR Adam Pentax News and Rumors 917 03-13-2015 12:59 PM
Three-part review of HD Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR (Japanese) odyseuss Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 94 12-01-2014 10:44 AM
First Look Video: HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Thomasbrowphoto Pentax Medium Format 10 08-06-2014 06:37 PM
HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Lens Review i83N Pentax News and Rumors 2 08-04-2014 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top