Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 414 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I would just like to add that I do not have this lens, have not been making images with it, and am still very disappointed in the images I have not made. I blame the lens.

04-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #602
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Well, I would just like to add that I do not have this lens, have not been making images with it, and am still very disappointed in the images I have not made. I blame the lens.
Seth,
Relax. A Cheerwine, a double layer Moon Pie, and a Stanback will cure all of these issues.
04-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Seth,
Relax. A Cheerwine, a double layer Moon Pie, and a Stanback will cure all of these issues.
Hah! You mean, fried Oreos, pork rinds, and cheese grits. But no, I fear it is all the fault of the lens. Thanks for trying to take my mind off of its bodacious failures....
04-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Just been told the first shipments to Europe have arrived in Germany, despatch is taking place now.
First arrival in Paris scheduled to be this saturday, available next tuesday (5th of may).
I guess Amsterdam is a bit closer than Paris from Berlin.
Yes in Denmark on Monday next week as well,along with the K3II I was told....

05-01-2015, 02:18 AM - 3 Likes   #605
Veteran Member

I have a question for all that complain that the lens is expensive. Do you own a Car?
How much did it cost you? How much does it cost you each month? Value lost per year?
I did a choice to not have a car and be able to buy anything i want instead. Take a look through your expenses instead of complaining about the cost
"For the same cost i could get a d7200 and the sigma 150-600" apparently you do have the found to get that setup. So why dont you, and then replace all your pentax glas, sell your old body with a loss. How much money would you have saved in the end?

Sorry for the rant but this is getting realy old now.
Tl:dr you dont complain for 40 pages in a thread that the new 77 inch LG oled screen is to expensive, instead you settle for the 55 inch until the price drop. You all sound like spoiled children running around in a department store
05-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #606
Pentaxian

Jumping ship to a D7200 and a Sigma 150-600... for an inferior lens. They should do exactly that.
05-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
I have a question for all that complain that the lens is expensive. Do you own a Car?
How much did it cost you? How much does it cost you each month? Value lost per year?
I did a choice to not have a car and be able to buy anything i want instead. Take a look through your expenses instead of complaining about the cost
"For the same cost i could get a d7200 and the sigma 150-600" apparently you do have the found to get that setup. So why dont you, and then replace all your pentax glas, sell your old body with a loss. How much money would you have saved in the end?

Sorry for the rant but this is getting realy old now.
Tl:dr you dont complain for 40 pages in a thread that the new 77 inch LG oled screen is to expensive, instead you settle for the 55 inch until the price drop. You all sound like spoiled children running around in a department store
I don't own a car. And I consider that your rant is out of place. Everyone knows his finance, and can appreciate if something is too expensive for him or not. And has the right to express his opinion. I hope. And if you would have to live with 4000$(four thousands) a year, you will complain too about this price.

05-01-2015, 04:50 AM   #608
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that; one has to accept that there are things outside his reach. If you were to buy a car, you wouldn't go to an Audi dealer and ask them to cut their prices in half, right?
The real problem here is that there aren't any cheaper alternatives, and 3rd-party makers aren't helping. Pentax making high-end lenses (priced accordingly) is not a problem.
05-01-2015, 05:15 AM   #609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Jumping ship to a D7200 and a Sigma 150-600... for an inferior lens. They should do exactly that.
I think that I can follow a part of your advise. I could change to Canon 6D. With what I have in Pentax, I can afford one, secondhand, and a Tamron 150-600. At least, I will have very clean images. Because, you know, the lens, whatever good it is, cannot compensate for the camera.

Thank you for your inducement. Keep on with this good work.

And, by the way, you are sure that Sigma 150-600 is an inferior lens?
05-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax will end up pricing these lenses at the amount that will sell the number of lenses that they want to sell. This is why a lens like the 560mm dropped as much as it did.

There is some balance between profit per lens and number lenses sold and I'm sure they will keep track of it and adjust their pricing accordingly. It just doesn't make me excited right now to run out and pay the early adopter tax that you will pay on these lenses.
05-01-2015, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #611
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
''for an inferior lens'' That must be seen...is the Sigma sport at 450 inferior to the Pentax 150-450?? waiting for some tests/reviews , & also the 150-450+1.4TC compared to Sigma S @ 600 will be nice to see
05-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #612

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
''for an inferior lens'' That must be seen...is the Sigma sport at 450 inferior to the Pentax 150-450?? waiting for some tests/reviews , & also the 150-450+1.4TC compared to Sigma S @ 600 will be nice to see
The Sigma Sport and the Pentax have the same pricing, though (at least here; the sport version is about €1000 more expensive than the Contemporary version, and given how they have different optical formulas the differences is more than a matter of weather sealing). Problem with comparing these lenses objectively is that you can't fit both lenses to the same body with full functionality, and the practical appeal of a lens is more than the optics alone. comparison becomes a bit of a moot point that way.
TBH, when I first saw the list price of the Pentax I contemplated getting a D7200 and the Tamron superzoom as well, because indeed that combo is pretty much exactly the same price. Undoubtedly there will be moments where I'll eventually end up thinking I should have gone for that combination, but something tells me that in the long run I'll be happy I decided to stick with Pentax and go for the 150-450. The mere fact I take a significant portion of my photos in the pouring rain will probably be enough of a justification .

Carrier has 21 minutes left to meet the stated delivery deadline. Undoubtedly they'll come one minute before the deadline expires. Or an hour after that, because pizza delivery rules won't apply here. . Nail-biting times!
05-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #613
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax will end up pricing these lenses at the amount that will sell the number of lenses that they want to sell. This is why a lens like the 560mm dropped as much as it did.

There is some balance between profit per lens and number lenses sold and I'm sure they will keep track of it and adjust their pricing accordingly. It just doesn't make me excited right now to run out and pay the early adopter tax that you will pay on these lenses.
Guess Ricoh doesn't think its so expensive

'' the HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm lens offers outstanding operability at an affordable price.''
05-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I don't own a car. And I consider that your rant is out of place. Everyone knows his finance, and can appreciate if something is too expensive for him or not. And has the right to express his opinion. I hope. And if you would have to live with 4000$(four thousands) a year, you will complain too about this price.
I would not buy a dslr or anything not nessesary if i would have to live on $4000 a year
05-01-2015, 05:54 AM   #615
Pentaxian

The Sigma 150-600 Sport is over 2000€, you can't buy it and a D7200 for the price of the Pentax - unless you can tell me where I can find D7200 for 200€ (I'll buy two!). So it has to be the Contemporary version, with different optics and construction.
AFAIK, the Sigma is losing performance at longer focal lengths. The only thing I can use to compare the two lenses is ephotozine.com, who tested both lenses - the Sigma on a Canon 5DMkIII, which I think it should give it an advantage.
I know it's too little, and I reserve further judgement when we'll have more data (and, perhaps, hands-on experience with the Pentax).

By the way, I'm not saying the Sigma is a bad lens - it definitely has its place as an "affordable" long telezoom. Just inferior to the Pentax

Jimmy, perhaps I could explain myself better in our native language and with some cold beer on the table.
Please understand, I'm also ignoring my own wishful thinking and try to be realistic - with the risk of sounding cynical and unsympathetic. The sad reality is that Pentax cannot price their high-end products with us in mind - so we have to do what we can, i.e. getting the best equipment we can afford.
And I'm sure a D FA 150-450 made to sell for half the price (MSRP) would be a different product, weaker than this one. Some sort of a 'Contemporary' version, perhaps not even that - due to Pentax' lower volumes.
Closed Thread