Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #931
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,368
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
don't help this thread a whole lot and could confuse folks who are just browsing through and think that most of the photos here would be from the new lens.
You mean those that can't read? I would think they might already be confused...you think? That's why I learned to read...so I could read those great Playboy articles and not be confused by the photos.

Regards!

05-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #932
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,088
Come on guys .... let's not turn this fine thread into yet another bashing match.

Suggestion: start a separate thread instead and put all of your complaints there.

Now, about this 150-450 lens: what's the score so far?
Positive? Negative? Neutral?

I for one am just a few bucks away from this lens and , frankly, think it is a winner for a zoom lens.

JP
05-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #933
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,234
I've been impressed so far. The German thread is worth watching with good example of its capabilities. It seems sharp and renders quite nicely.

I'm shooting with the sigma 500 f4.5 and haven't seen a good reason to sell it, it is a bit sharper and a bit more than half a stop faster, but if I was still shooting with the 300 and tc, I would get one. It doesn't seem to eat light like the tc combination.
05-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #934
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,368
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Come on guys .... let's not turn this fine thread into yet another bashing match.
I'm done, I had my say from my perspective. Unless someone wants to poke around at me....I'm only here from this point forward to view some results...and read, of course...I do read!

Regards!

05-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #935
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,559
I'm only interested in this lens for the technology side... since this is a view (literally) into the next generation of Pentax lenses (and I'm waiting to see the 24-70s). Keep adding more 150-450 images and news please!
05-14-2015, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #936
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Now, about this 150-450 lens: what's the score so far?
Positive? Negative? Neutral?

I for one am just a few bucks away from this lens and , frankly, think it is a winner for a zoom lens.
I have been posting my own experiences to a thread on DPReview, and I'm continuing to do so - it is "work in progress":
Machines & Animals & the 150-450mm lens

This isn't because of any anti-PentaxForums position, but it was more convenient given that I'm registered in both places, and I find the thread structure and photo-uploading easier there. I'm not using that thread as a sort of gallery. I'm trying to make points about the lens that others will find useful. Good and bad. But there are some photos there just because I like them:
Some photos of cars at Oulton Park

So what do I think about the lens?

This is a sort of interim summary. I haven't tried it at an airshow, or where there are really good bird in flight opportunities, although I have attempted some of the latter without much success. The starting point is that I have a K-3, DA* 60-250mm, DA* 300mm, and Pentax HD 1.4x Rear Converter. Also, I intend to get the FF camera later in the year. So this lens is intended to take the place in some circumstances of those 2 lenses and the Converter. Can it?

I strive for high image quality, and this lens is sharp enough for me, even wide open. I'm not going to do detailed comparisons with those two super DA* lens, but it isn't inferior in normal use, and I'm very impressed with it at 450mm. Apart from some early shots of a wall to see if it was de-centred, etc, I've hand-held it all the time.

I had problems where I was shooting cars on a track at 150mm and couldn't get all the car in. For that minority of shots, I needed the extra 60mm to 150mm range of the DA* 60-250mm lens. If the FF camera has a suitable burst rate, I will use that instead of the K-3 / K-3 II for those shots, and will probably be able to get the cars in at the closest distances I shoot at.

Throughout all my shooting so far, I have the sense that it is very fast indeed at focusing. It simply appears to be able to do what the camera tells it to do. I think I'm limited by the K-3, (and myself!) not the lens. (I have pre-ordered the K-3 II, and that may make a difference).

As I said, I'm hand-holding it in real use. Since I want to use it at airshows, where hand-holding is what I always do, it has to be suitable for that. It is harder to pan, because of its weight and size. But after a thousand of shots in burst mode, I'm getting more comfortable with that. I will never be able to use it with the agility of the DA* 60-250mm lens, and I intend to keep that lens. It is hard to see that the DA* 300mm lens will get much use in future, with or without the HD 1.4x RC. (Except perhaps together with the HD 1.4x RC as a sort of "not quite macro" lens for easily-spooked small wildlife).

A point to note. It has internal focusing but not internal zooming. That can make hand-holding a bit tricky until you get used to it. For example, I kept wondering why it was set at 400mm sometime after I had set it to 450mm. I was holding it near the end and unknowingly pulling the end towards me! It can be forced to zoom by weight or pressure on the end. Probably not a good idea, and there is a lock for 150mm.

For interest, to help pay for it (and the D FA 70-200mm which I've pre-ordered) I sold my Sigma 500mm f/4.5. This new lens is far better for my purposes, and I'll never miss the Sigma.

The D FA 150-450mm lens "does what it says on the can". It meets the specifications, as far as I can tell. It is big, heavy, expensive, very sharp, and fast-focusing. I knew the downsides before I bought it, and the lens has met my expectations and on the whole satisfied my hopes.

Edit: I forgot to mention this. I doubt if I will ever hand-hold this lens without using a battery grip on the camera. I tried it at home when it first arrived, and things were uncomfortable. With the battery grip, it feels more natural. I can get my little finger into play, grip tighter, and hold the camera better in portrait mode. Be warned!

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 05-14-2015 at 12:54 AM.
05-14-2015, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #937
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hoevelaken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 883
comparison shots between da*300, da*300+tc, dfa150-450, dfa150-450+tc
all are straight OOC full JPG, MTF line, 2sec timer shots, tripod, SR off, all correction/NR are off, K3, overcast sky. distance about 5m.

da*300
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0056.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0057.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0058.JPG

da*300 + HD tc
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0059.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0060.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 300/310
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0049.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0050.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 410/420
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0051.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0052.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 450
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0053.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0054.JPG

dfa 150-450 + HD tc at 450 (=630)
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0055.JPG

Last edited by Franc; 05-14-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: changed photos for new photos
05-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #938
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,644
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
comparison shots between da*300, da*300+tc, dfa150-450, dfa150-450+tc
all are straight OOC full JPG, MTF line, 2sec timer shots, tripod, SR off, all correction/NR are off, K3, overcast sky. distance about 5m.

da*300
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0020.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0021.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0022.JPG

da*300 + HD tc
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0023.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0024.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 300/310
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0025.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 410/420
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0026.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0027.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 450
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0028.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0029.JPG

dfa 150-450 + HD tc at 450
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0030.JPG
Can't see the images on Firefox

05-14-2015, 04:55 AM   #939
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
I'm able to see them on my firefox browser.

That being said, the focus is sorta all over the place lol. Some shots the stamen is in focus, but it's damn near impossible to tell because the rest of the stuff is blurrier.
05-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #940
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,720
I can see them, but - 450mm at 1/50s, 630mm at 1/40s etc etc. ?

Even with a tripod, self-timer and MLU it's hard to avoid blur (both subject motion and camera related blur) with such short shutter speeds at those focal lengths.

The lens isn't being tested, more the stability of your platform and the degree of movement in your target.

Last edited by rawr; 05-14-2015 at 05:38 AM.
05-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #941
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 903
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I can see them, but - 450mm at 1/50s, 630mm at 1/40s etc etc. ?

Even with a tripod, self-timer and MLU it's hard to avoid blur (both subject motion and camera related blur) with such short shutter speeds at those focal lengths.

The lens isn't being tested, more the stability of your platform and the degree of movement in your target.
yes and exposure is not the same--the 150 + TC is very dark?
would be good same motif for all shots & faster shutter-so the 'blur variable is eliminated
05-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #942
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,559
I'm using pale moon (FF derivative) and can click on the links to see them..

However, I think if bokeh was peanut butter, that lens would be a jar of crunchy.. not creamy.. quite busy!
05-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #943
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,088
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I have been posting my own experiences to a thread on DPReview, and I'm continuing to do so - it is "work in progress":
Machines & Animals & the 150-450mm lens

This isn't because of any anti-PentaxForums position, but it was more convenient given that I'm registered in both places, and I find the thread structure and photo-uploading easier there. I'm not using that thread as a sort of gallery. I'm trying to make points about the lens that others will find useful. Good and bad. But there are some photos there just because I like them:
Some photos of cars at Oulton Park

So what do I think about the lens?

This is a sort of interim summary. I haven't tried it at an airshow, or where there are really good bird in flight opportunities, although I have attempted some of the latter without much success. The starting point is that I have a K-3, DA* 60-250mm, DA* 300mm, and Pentax HD 1.4x Rear Converter. Also, I intend to get the FF camera later in the year. So this lens is intended to take the place in some circumstances of those 2 lenses and the Converter. Can it?

I strive for high image quality, and this lens is sharp enough for me, even wide open. I'm not going to do detailed comparisons with those two super DA* lens, but it isn't inferior in normal use, and I'm very impressed with it at 450mm. Apart from some early shots of a wall to see if it was de-centred, etc, I've hand-held it all the time.

I had problems where I was shooting cars on a track at 150mm and couldn't get all the car in. For that minority of shots, I needed the extra 60mm to 150mm range of the DA* 60-250mm lens. If the FF camera has a suitable burst rate, I will use that instead of the K-3 / K-3 II for those shots, and will probably be able to get the cars in at the closest distances I shoot at.

Throughout all my shooting so far, I have the sense that it is very fast indeed at focusing. It simply appears to be able to do what the camera tells it to do. I think I'm limited by the K-3, (and myself!) not the lens. (I have pre-ordered the K-3 II, and that may make a difference).

As I said, I'm hand-holding it in real use. Since I want to use it at airshows, where hand-holding is what I always do, it has to be suitable for that. It is harder to pan, because of its weight and size. But after a thousand of shots in burst mode, I'm getting more comfortable with that. I will never be able to use it with the agility of the DA* 60-250mm lens, and I intend to keep that lens. It is hard to see that the DA* 300mm lens will get much use in future, with or without the HD 1.4x RC. (Except perhaps together with the HD 1.4x RC as a sort of "not quite macro" lens for easily-spooked small wildlife).

A point to note. It has internal focusing but not internal zooming. That can make hand-holding a bit tricky until you get used to it. For example, I kept wondering why it was set at 400mm sometime after I had set it to 450mm. I was holding it near the end and unknowingly pulling the end towards me! It can be forced to zoom by weight or pressure on the end. Probably not a good idea, and there is a lock for 150mm.

For interest, to help pay for it (and the D FA 70-200mm which I've pre-ordered) I sold my Sigma 500mm f/4.5. This new lens is far better for my purposes, and I'll never miss the Sigma.

The D FA 150-450mm lens "does what it says on the can". It meets the specifications, as far as I can tell. It is big, heavy, expensive, very sharp, and fast-focusing. I knew the downsides before I bought it, and the lens has met my expectations and on the whole satisfied my hopes.

Edit: I forgot to mention this. I doubt if I will ever hand-hold this lens without using a battery grip on the camera. I tried it at home when it first arrived, and things were uncomfortable. With the battery grip, it feels more natural. I can get my little finger into play, grip tighter, and hold the camera better in portrait mode. Be warned!
That is a great review, Barry!
I've checked your samples at DPR as well.
Note: post some here too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-pentax...-pictures.html
Thanks if you have done that already !

What I like to read is the hand-held bit of your review, especially with the grip attached.
Mind you, it must be quite a bit heavier than the DA*300/4 of course but as long as it feels "balanced", that's the important thing.
As well, the importance of the IQ at the long end and I think you've covered that nicely.

Thanks for sharing your tests/opinons/recommendations.

JP
05-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #944
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,368
Well, not being a perfectionist for camera settings or shooting abilities, I found the bokeh to be very lovely...which was one of my biggest questions. Also the colors are wonderful! Beautiful blooms! Too dark on exposure? I guess some have not heard of this thing called "processing"? I thank you for those shots, they answer two of my biggest questions.

If by any chance, you can shoot a few shots for me of some handsome squirrels, it would be greatly appreciated by me...and Otis. Within the next few weeks I am going to buy a new long lens, either the newest Sigma 150-500 HSM IS....if I can find one...or the Pentax. The price is not that much different, although the extra 50mm may be. Heck, I might buy them both and see which one I will keep. Mrs Rupert is rolling in cash and my Mom has 4 high output gas wells here in Texas and one on the way. I'm old and won't get another chance in years to come....since there may not be "years to come"?

Shoot me some handsome squirrels if you can.....if you don't have any, I will gladly send you a box full, I have thousands here in the Woods of Otis!

Best Regards!
05-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #945
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,088
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
comparison shots between da*300, da*300+tc, dfa150-450, dfa150-450+tc
all are straight OOC full JPG, MTF line, 2sec timer shots, tripod, SR off, all correction/NR are off, K3, overcast sky. distance about 5m.

da*300
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0020.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0021.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0022.JPG

da*300 + HD tc
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0023.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0024.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 300/310
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0025.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 410/420
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0026.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0027.JPG

dfa 150-450 at 450
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0028.JPG
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0029.JPG

dfa 150-450 + HD tc at 450
http://kimchi2018.com/ppg//_IMG0030.JPG
Thanks for the samples, Franc !

I have some problems to try and "see" where the focus spots were but I can say that it is as expected overall: little differences in IQ throughout but consistent.
I was surprised with the last image with the DFA 150-450 with the HD TC .... I thought this TC would "kill" the rendering at the long end.

JP
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, af, barrel, bigma, crop, da*300, dc, focus, grass, hd, image quality, iq, kg, lens, lots, mm, motor, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-d fa 150-450mm, position, price, shots, tc, thread, tripod, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR samples flomat Lens Sample Photo Archive 41 04-09-2016 01:38 PM
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR Adam Pentax News and Rumors 917 03-13-2015 12:59 PM
Three-part review of HD Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR (Japanese) odyseuss Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 94 12-01-2014 10:44 AM
First Look Video: HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Thomasbrowphoto Pentax Medium Format 10 08-06-2014 06:37 PM
HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Lens Review i83N Pentax News and Rumors 2 08-04-2014 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top