Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #976
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Find me 4 pages of handsome squirrels
Not too many of them critters in Japan, alas, where the Photoble site is based. But I will keep my eyes peeled on other photo sites. Partly out of my own interest in this lens. It seems to have some real sparkle.

05-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #977
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You are always so demanding..
You know it's not me Norm...it's that damn Otis!

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not too many of them critters in Japan, alas, where the Photoble site is based. But I will keep my eyes peeled on other photo sites. Partly out of my own interest in this lens. It seems to have some real sparkle.
I cans send you a box full of squirrels, I have thousands here in the Woods of Otis...way too many, in fact!

I have to agree, the lens does appear to have some "real sparkle" from what I have seen so far. I'm not sure I can justify that kind of cash outlay for a lens just to shoot tree rats that call themselves squirrels, but that won't hold me back if I decide on it. I have four cars in my driveway and seldom have an opportunity to drive them all at the same time, but it didn't stop me from buying them....with Mrs Ruperts plentiful cash!

Hope to see more shots posted here from the 150-450.....some squirrels even?

Best Regards!
05-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #978
Pentaxian

If I don't have a 150-450, can I use a shotgun?
(No squirrels were harmed when writing this message. There's no real intention of actually shooting squirrels - me googling for "squirrel recipes" is just a coincidence)
05-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It could also simply have been the Adorama web manager testing the cart link after publishing. For an expensive item, you want to be sure the cart link works OK.

But now it says:

So the orders seem to be flooding in
My cart doesn't say anything about the last time it was added.

05-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked out the Photoble snaps, and for me the 150-450 is a real winner. Sharp as a tack.
05-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Pål: Going to be in Oslo July 16-18. Where is the best RindPfeffer?
RindPfeffer???
Haven't been in Oslo for 13 years anyway....
05-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #982
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pål: Going to be in Oslo July 16-18. Where is the best RindPfeffer?
I had to look that up, and all I could find was a definition that said "to peel back the bark of a tree". You are some strange fellows, but whatever floats your boat is OK with me!

Regards!

05-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #983
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have missed it but has anyone done a direct comparison of this lens vs the Sigma 50-500 OS?

Based on my own testing compared to DA*300 I suspect it will soundly beat the Bigma in IQ, but I am also interested in a handling and AF comparison.

Not sure yet I would want to sell my Bigma as the 50-150 range comes in handy a lot for sports. Hmmm.
05-15-2015, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #984
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to look that up, and all I could find was a definition that said "to peel back the bark of a tree"
Well, in German it's beef with pepper, but there is a difference between the German and Norwegian languages.
You are some strange fellows
Strange doesn't begin to describe it. Never in my oddest moments, have I asked where the best places to peel bark off a tree are.
05-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #985
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All I remember was a reindeer steak with a "tar-black" color sauce in an older restaurant. They called it "RindPfeffer" which in Germany is beef with peppercorn sauce. Maybe a local interpretation in Oslo or that restaurant... Tasty as hell though...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 05-15-2015 at 02:47 PM.
05-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #986
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Well, in German it's beef with pepper, but there is a difference between the German and Norwegian languages.
Beef with pepper....now that is something I understand! In fact it is what I grilled for dinner tonight! Rib-eyes...my favorite and Mrs Rupert's too!
Bought these this afternoon at Aldis, a new German grocery store in town....they have superb meat...and here in Texas, we do know meat!

Just wondering...what would a couple of steaks like this cost in Germany or Norway? These were a pound each and the total for both was $18.55 US.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I may have missed it but has anyone done a direct comparison of this lens vs the Sigma 50-500 OS?

Based on my own testing compared to DA*300 I suspect it will soundly beat the Bigma in IQ, but I am also interested in a handling and AF comparison.

Not sure yet I would want to sell my Bigma as the 50-150 range comes in handy a lot for sports. Hmmm.
Crew...I think the Pentax is too new for many comparisons to be shot yet, but certainly it would beat the Bigma 50-500 in IQ. By just how much is another question? The 50-150 range on the50-500 Bigma can be handy for sure, but it is not a range I use often on my Bigma.
I think the new Pentax is meant for the most serious of shooters...with some loose change in their deep pockets. Or for guys like me that can steal from their wife's brokerage accounts and not get caught!

At any rate, I look forward to seeing some results here on PForums from some of those serious shooters that would do justice to the lens, not just some old squirrel shooters like me. My choice would be old Norm...he does some fantastic wildlife, and it would be a thrill to see him shoot with this new lens.

I'm serious enough about that to make an offer...if others will donate...we only need a couple of dozen, I will donate $100. US toward this lens for Norm...provided he will use it and use it often, posting here as he already does. Do I have anyone that would join me? It would be better than me buying the lens and posting hundreds ..or even thousands of squirrel shots with it......Heck, it should be worth a $100. just to keep the damn squirrels off these pages!

Yep, the Pentax could surely do better than the Bigma...but would it really matter? It is still just a squirrel and there are trillions of squirrels in this world...and more every day...like this little newbie!

Best Regards! ...Let's get Norm that lens! I'm deadly serious!
05-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #987
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Japan has its own species of Squirrel. I photographed this one at Enoshima, which is a day trip from Tokyo. I think I may have seen squirrels in Ueno park in Tokyo, but I've only been there in summer once. So my point being that there are small furry animals which can be seen outside a zoo in the Tokyo area in a day. I've even seen wild deer in Nikko.

Japanese Squirrel
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
05-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #988
Veteran Member

Well, somebody in Japan shoot me some with the new Pentax lens! That's why we are all here......to see how it does at shooting handsome squirrels...right?

BTW- That is a nice shot you got of a Japanese squirrel, it doesn't go unappreciated!

Seriously, I am looking forward to more shots posted soon from the Pentax 150-450. If it can get close to what I see from the DA* 300 and do it at 450mm, it will be one heck of a lens!

Regards!
05-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #989
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, somebody in Japan shoot me some with the new Pentax lens! That's why we are all here......to see how it does at shooting handsome squirrels...right?
Some, perhaps!

QuoteQuote:
BTW- That is a nice shot you got of a Japanese squirrel, it doesn't go unappreciated!
Thanks! That's with my DA 55-300, bought in Japan through Kakaku.

QuoteQuote:
Seriously, I am looking forward to more shots posted soon from the Pentax 150-450. If it can get close to what I see from the DA* 300 and do it at 450mm, it will be one heck of a lens!
Me too! Although if they could do updated versions of the DA 55-300 and DA*300 with the new AF motors, I'd buy new copies! My main frustration with the DA*300 is slow focus and hunting. I'm seriously considering this 150-450, but I'm worried whether I'll get enough use out of it due to the weight and size. It's not something I could take travelling unless got a hard case for it and paid for extra luggage. For birding photos at home it should be great though! It might also get me close to the Platypus at Tidbinbilla.
05-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #990
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
All I remember was a reindeer steak with a "tar-black" color sauce in an older restaurant. They called it "RindPfeffer" which in Germany is beef with peppercorn sauce. Maybe a local interpretation in Oslo or that restaurant... Tasty as hell though...
no, you can get the same dish in Finland. I had it years ago, but its a stew.
Closed Thread