Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #1051
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Zygonyx-----I like it, a very good example of what I am looking for. What is your overall impression of the lens so far...how do you compare it to other long glass you own or have owned?

More fine shots.....Same question to you as the one above for Zygonyx. It is a shame you don't have any handsome squirrels. This little shy Newbie squirrel posed for the first time yesterday......He asked me if I could shoot him with that new Pentax long lens, and I was sad that I couldn't fulfill his request. I can either get that Pentax lens, or ship him to you where you can make him happy?

Regards! More shots will be appreciated!
Thank you Rupert.

Well, i don't force myself in stating that this 150-450mm is a pleasure to shoot with, and i don't really intend to use those "old" 50-500mm, or 300mm but for exceptions (e.g.excellent compacity of the FA*300/4.5) any more.
Autofocus speed and accuracy with K-3 is on par with the fastest FA*, but more silent and easy to regulate - limiter, selected point, and and quick-shift focus included, which are not existing with any K mount older lenses.
Handling is quite easy despite the more than 2 Kg with everything - including RRS plate ; but if you do not use monopod, you better have Hercules' arms or at least take advantage of any support/stable position you can.
In harsh and vegetal environments, i have been amazed with AF ability (on K-3) to allow the user to get focus right at the whished point when with other lenses would hunt indefinitely and make you miss your shots : for exemple i had no problem to focus correctly through the sedges for the bluethroat (i have set K-3 AF monitoring with the maximum "subject keeping" strategy).
Now in the long run, time will tell if i am able to get nice squirrels out of it

05-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #1052
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the info Zygonyx, it is helpful in my coming decision for new long glass. It is a little short for my desires, shorter than my 50-500, but I have been shooting some at 450 and find it will meet most of my needs. We'd all like longer no matter how long we already have! Guys are like that you know! Of course, what matters is how you use it...so they say!
My squirrels are voting for the Pentax, but of course they can only offer up peanuts as payment!

Off the subject a little(or a lot )...D1N0 mentioned noise reduction a page or so back...I just got Topaz denoise and sure need some practice or lessons on using it myself. SO far I have just played with it a little, but maybe there is a Forum here that has some specific answers?

Regards!
05-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #1053
Site Supporter

Thank you for the info Zygonyx, it is helpful in my coming decision for new long glass. It is a little short for my desires, shorter than my 50-500, but I have been shooting some at 450 and find it will meet most of my needs. We'd all like longer no matter how long we already have! Guys are like that you know! Of course, what matters is how you use it...so they say!
My squirrels are voting for the Pentax, but of course they can only offer up peanuts as payment!

Off the subject a little(or a lot )...D1N0 mentioned noise reduction a page or so back...I just got Topaz denoise and sure need some practice or lessons on using it myself. SO far I have just played with it a little, but maybe there is a Forum here that has some specific answers?

Regards!
From what I see ,you may not need Topaz with the 150-450 looks very sharp & brighter than 300+TC,and a stop more than the Siggie ,so you'll see every little flea on Otis & Co.
Mine will come in a week if all goes well
05-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #1054
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Mine will come in a week if all goes well
I look forward to seeing your shots when it comes in! I'll be excited, but not as much as you will be!

BTW- Otis runs all his Army squirrels through a dip once a week...they have no ticks or fleas and are probably cleaner than I am...I haven't washed my Farm Pants in two months!

Best Regards!

05-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #1055
Site Supporter

I look forward to seeing your shots when it comes in! I'll be excited, but not as much as you will be!

BTW- Otis runs all his Army squirrels through a dip once a week...they have no ticks or fleas and are probably cleaner than I am...I haven't washed my Farm Pants in two months!

Best Regards!
Yes very excited about this lens...sun may even come out by then

a dip? amazing if they have no fleas/ticks..now to train my kitties to do that

can see really bad floods where you are, is that normal?
05-26-2015, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1056
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
All without tripod mount neither hood:

DA*300 = 1070g
TC 1.4 = 124g
DA150-450=2000g

There 800g difference or if you prefer it is 67% heavier to get the 150-450 vs DA*300 + TC... But this is the conveniance of the zoom and hopefully higher quality.

To illustraste a bit more what you could do with such weight difference
- add a DA50-135 for 685g, still a bit less.
- add tamron 70-200 screw drive for 1070g, a bit more. (270g).
- add my carbon tripod syrui + syrui ball head for 1100g (a bit more, 300g)
Doesn't matter. I don't wnt them. I want the 150-450 and these images make me certain I'm right.
05-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #1057
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
We have them, too... only in zoos
That bloke is a long way from home!
05-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #1058
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
As are you getting 150 450? I'm hoping mine and I have no news or heard, how many there are?

05-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #1059
Loyal Site Supporter

a dip? amazing if they have no fleas/ticks..now to train my kitties to do that
Yep...they have no fleas or ticks, but they have a drinking problem....these damn Army Squirrels of Otis' can drink more beer in the summer than the beer man can deliver!

can see really bad floods where you are, is that normal?
No, it is not. We have been in a long drought, and now we are flooding everywhere. It is pretty treacherous in some places, even in major cities. Here at my place and in the Woods of Otis we are at high elevation and well drained, so we are just wet but in no danger.

Just in case...Otis has been training his Army Squirrels to swim. He has filled big tubs full of cold beer and makes them swim across them. It isn't working out too well, they keep trying to drown themselves with mouths wide open!
Best Regards!
05-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #1060
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colodion Quote
As are you getting 150 450? I'm hoping mine and I have no news or heard, how many there are?
In stock now in Paris, at least.
05-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #1061
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colodion Quote
Given everything else that seems to be on the horizon I'll need to rethink my funds allocation. The FF is likely fairly early in the cycle. New lenses requires selling old lenses - and since everyone else will be selling old lenses I might just end up buying old lenses.
05-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #1062
Loyal Site Supporter

Memo: Otis
One of your relatives made an untimely visit to the avian sunflower seed depository a few minutes ago. Our highly effective BorderAussie security detail decided that herding with a light jaw around a furry torso would send a timely warning. Unfortunately the 150-450 hasn't arrived to document subsequent dash up the Birch tree by said rodent and a F35-70 relic from the past was only available for these images. At last listen, rodent was whispering sweet obscenities from 30 feet up and planning another visit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #1063
Pentaxian

There is no pandemonium in my backyard quite like when I decide the squirrels are spending too much time at the feeders. I open the back door and yell "squirrel" and out go two border collies and an aussie full tilt. Squirrels will be fleeing all over the place. The funny thing is, Tripper goes after them with a ball in his mouth, and doesn't drop the ball even when he tries to bite them. I'm not really sure how effective that bite would be.
05-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #1064
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There is no pandemonium in my backyard quite like when I decide the squirrels are spending too much time at the feeders. I open the back door and yell "squirrel" and out go two border collies and an aussie full tilt. Squirrels will be fleeing all over the place. The funny thing is, Tripper goes after them with a ball in his mouth, and doesn't drop the ball even when he tries to bite them. I'm not really sure how effective that bite would be.
Border Collies. God's gift to humans.
05-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #1065
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The funny thing is, Tripper goes after them with a ball in his mouth, and doesn't drop the ball even when he tries to bite them. I'm not really sure how effective that bite would be.
Maybe he just wants to play ball with them ?