Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 414 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #1246

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
In the air though the situation was quite different! I was shooting TAv mode with SR enabled, shutter speeds 1/1600 to 1/2000 (fast moving jets performing aerobatics) and aperture f/8 or f/9. The AF set was continuous and auto (11 AF points). From what I've seen so far the pictures are not tack sharp, it seems that something is missing or something interferes with the lens capabilities and degrades the pictures!
Do you really need any kind of SR when using shutter speeds of 1/1600 to 1/2000, I think I'd leave it off.

07-27-2015, 02:30 AM   #1247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes that's right! I use the OS of the Bigma and keep the in camera SR off, as I have found the compilation works better that way!
I certainly wouldn't use SR if you are shutter speeds of over 1/1000 second. I would think you would be fine without at those speeds.
07-27-2015, 02:35 AM   #1248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
Do you really need any kind of SR when using shutter speeds of 1/1600 to 1/2000, I think I'd leave it off.
Maybe you're right. But until now I have been using OS, SR etc on long lenses, even at very fast shutter speeds. I think that no matter how stable you handhold a camera with a tele-lens there is a problem with the motion blur caused by pressing the shutter button. Using the OS in Bigma gave a lot more great keeper shots with hardly any noticeable reduction in image quality.

But I will try without SR and see!
07-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #1249
Veteran Member

there is a problem with the motion blur caused by pressing the shutter button.
But you can work on this, so you press the button softly without tilting and shaking the whole camera. I don't know how effective SR or OS is at fast shutter speeds, I usually turn it off when working in really bright light, but then again, I don't really use telephoto much

07-27-2015, 03:52 AM   #1250
Veteran Member

But doesn't in lense SR also help with AF and the OVF because you see a stabilized image ?
07-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #1251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But doesn't in lense SR also help with AF and the OVF because you see a stabilized image ?
In lens SR does affect the OVF, some people can actually get a little seasick from it. Dunno if the AF module cares, though, unless the AF points are really small
07-27-2015, 04:06 AM   #1252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yes it stabilizes the image you see too. I agree with Na Horuk, because it feels like the image is slowly sliding to various directions, it can be disturbing sometimes. But I find it not difficult to focus with the DFA that has no in lens stabilization. It's not a problem at all.

07-27-2015, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #1253
Veteran Member

Hello again! Some feedback from my experience with the lens and the K-5IIs. I'm interested in aviation photography that's why I bought the lens. I had the chance to try it in 2 events in various conditions with and without the HD 1.4X TC.

This lens is surely very sharp and much brighter than the Bigma 50-500 although it underexposes a bit. The contrast and the colors are great also. My pictures of still subjects and slow moving planes and people on the ground were superb and only when I was intentionally shooting with very slow shutter speeds I had problems with motion blurred shots.

In the air though the situation was quite different! I was shooting TAv mode with SR enabled, shutter speeds 1/1600 to 1/2000 (fast moving jets performing aerobatics) and aperture f/8 or f/9. The AF set was continuous and auto (11 AF points). From what I've seen so far the pictures are not tack sharp, it seems that something is missing or something interferes with the lens capabilities and degrades the pictures!

I don't know what could be wrong, but since with the Bigma gives great sharpness (although the lens isn't as sharp as the DFA and the ISO is much higher) I presume that the problem should relate to the camera SR which is the difference between the two systems. At the end of the day I had less keepers with the DFA than the Bigma and only a few that were top class pictures. I was negatively surprised as I told you I have no doubt that the Pentax lens is BETTER than the Bigma and it has no front or back focus issues. I will make further tests with various settings in order to see what works best. I am thinking of trying:

1. Slower shutter speeds. Maybe the SR will be more effective if it has more time for "calculations"...
2. Even faster shutter speeds. That means that I will go over the 1/2000 that I had rarely reach in the past (as it was not necessary).
3. Deactivate the SR. I'm not sure if I could get sharp images of fast moving jets without SR @450mm, but I will give it a try and find out.
4. Change the AF to single central point or to just 5 AF points...

A friend of mine has a K-5 so I will try to find an opportunity to shoot the Bigma and the DFA side by side at the same conditions and see the results (although the cameras have some differences, it is the best comparison I can organize).

When I find some time I will post some of the good pictures for you to see. Meanwhile if you have any ideas or comments on the shooting settings or the tests I will be glad to know!

The K3II has the best SR to date for Pentax, the 150-450 does best on this camera I find,& will be even better on the FF if rumors are correct...
07-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #1254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
The K3II has the best SR to date for Pentax, the 150-450 does best on this camera I find,& will be even better on the FF if rumors are correct...
I really hope so my friend! I will definitely upgrade sometime soon and leave my beloved K-5IIs as a back up camera! I feel in this case that the camera restricts the lens and this is a good thing for the new Pentax lenses! Despite that I'm still looking for the best way to utilize my equipment, so I will experiment with this system to find how I can get the greatest results for my type of photography...
07-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #1255
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes that's right! I use the OS of the Bigma and keep the in camera SR off, as I have found the compilation works better that way!
They would fight each other if you tried to use both. I didn't realise that anyone made OS lenses for Pentax. All the ones I looked at were without OS in the Pentax version, but somehow just as expensive as the Canikon versions. Now I have three choices; get the FA 15-450, the Bigma or a Canikon body plus an OS lens...
07-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #1256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are reviews of the Pentax 150-500mm https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-f-4-5-5-6...w-review-27359 and the Sigma 150-500 (which I have) https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-150-500mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-interch...s-review-13621
The degraded IQ of the Sigma I experience at the longer ranges is borne out in this site's review. I sense IQ of the Sigma drops significantly after 350mm.
The Pentax maintains Excellent resolution throughout its range, all the way to 450. f8 looks like the sweet spot for the lens they tested.
While I am waiting for the next generation of Pentax auto focus to be introduced before I buy any additional Pentax lenses, this lens will make the list if as I expect the next generation of Pentax DSLR will have auto focus at least equivalent to the current standards from Nikon and Canon.
08-01-2015, 10:56 AM - 3 Likes   #1257
Forum Member

Made with K3II Pentax 150 450mm y Pentax rearconverter 1,4x

More photos: Primeras pruebas del Pentax DFA 150-450mm - Pentaxeros.com
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #1258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I mount my 150-450 on a tripod, I always use a cable remote to trigger it. This has helped a lot on shots where you can take your time a bit. Hand held I use SR and no remote release. I cannot afford a Pentax 1.4x converter yet, but when using my Tamron 1.4x AF converter the resulting images are still very good. From what I have seen here, not as sharp as the Pentax, but still very good. It does become a manual focus lens with the Tamron adapter, but focus confirmation works well . This is a great lens.

As to the 70 -200 F2.8, I will be using my Tamron lens. I cannot justify getting the Pentax version as the Tamron I have is already pretty good. I do plan to go full frame, but getting this lens set that back a bit. I was all set to go with the Sigma 150 to 500, but when I finally made my decision they had sold out . I am glad that I was able to get this lens instead.
08-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #1259
Veteran Member

Nikon introduces 24-70mm F2.8 VR, 24mm F1.8 and 200-500 F5.6 FX lenses: Digital Photography Review

This could make things difficult to convince new customers to buy into Pentax full frame. I wonder how they managed to price it ~$1000 less than the Pentax equivalent? hopefully P will lower prices but its probably unlikely
08-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #1260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Nikon introduces 24-70mm F2.8 VR, 24mm F1.8 and 200-500 F5.6 FX lenses: Digital Photography Review[/url]

This could make things difficult to convince new customers to buy into Pentax full frame.
Nikon are worried

But it's good if Nikon price aggressively and freshen their lineup. It sets a good path for Pentax to follow.
Closed Thread