Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 414 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Interesting. The focus preset is a nice feature. The quick shift is a change as well; if you use the shutter button to focus quick shift is a bit tricky. A focus button on the lens itself. I'm anxious to see if it is sharp at the long end, whether it will be usable wide open.

02-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #62
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of new buttons and functions of new lenses will be work only at K-3 and K-S1 via new firmware. FF camera will be 100% compatible.
Old camera (which could work with KAF3 lenses) will work with new lenses, but some of functions will be unable to work

Last edited by ogl; 02-05-2015 at 10:41 PM.
02-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by phoned Quote
Agree with the above. The DC on the 18-135mm is great. Also I think there is a huge stigma against all the SDM failures.
Agreed on the SDM failures, but disagree on DC being great. Sure, for an 18-135 it'll do. But come on, these are expensive lenses. Canikon are putting ring-type ultrasonic motors in them. For this kind of money, Pentax better have an equivalent AF system.
02-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Some of new buttons and functions of new lenses will be work only at K-3 and K-S1 via new firmware. FF camera will be 100% compatible.
Old camera (which could work with KAF3 lenses) will work with new lenses, but some of functions will be unable to work
No need to shout. Maybe Pentax will update the firmware for the K-5's If not any future aps-c dslr will do.

02-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Agreed on the SDM failures, but disagree on DC being great. Sure, for an 18-135 it'll do. But come on, these are expensive lenses. Canikon are putting ring-type ultrasonic motors in them. For this kind of money, Pentax better have an equivalent AF system.
It is entirely possible their DC focus motor is a new technology (they recently had a patent for one) that outperforms ring-type wave-form ultrasonic motors.
02-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #66
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is entirely possible their DC focus motor is a new technology (they recently had a patent for one) that outperforms ring-type wave-form ultrasonic motors.
You mean different from what is in the 18-135? In that case they should have given it a different name too. And I think they would have, for marketing purposes.

I'm having a hard time believing these lenses will focus faster than Canikon's USM/SWM ultrasonic lenses. If they will, that'd be great, but Pentax never has been faster.

Well, at least it (DC) is better than SDM...

Last edited by starbase218; 02-05-2015 at 11:27 AM.
02-05-2015, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You mean different from what is in the 18-135? In that case they should have given it a different name too. And I think they would have, for marketing purposes.

I'm having a hard time believing these lenses will focus faster than Canikon's USM/SWM ultrasonic lenses. If they will, that'd be great, but Pentax never has been faster.
Yes, apparently. Larger, higher torque, higher speed, more precise.

Why do we refuse to believe Ricoh isn't Hoya? - and neither is it Pentax Corp? They don't release something until it is ready at the their standard.

Until it is shown to be otherwise, I choose to believe this is a superior lens that will surprise us. It needn't focus faster than a USM/SWM lens - it need to focus as fast and as accurately. The coatings (superior final IQ) and the build are the differentiators.

I choose to believe the D-FA* is a truly professional quality lens.

My default belief is Ricoh does it right unless they've made a mistake (and mistakes will be rare). Hoya (and to a degree Pentax Corp) did it wrong unless they made a surprise (K10D).

02-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed on the SDM failures, but disagree on DC being great. Sure, for an 18-135 it'll do. But come on, these are expensive lenses.
So what are the shortcomings you found when actually using the DA18-135 DC focus motor? IMHO thought it was very fast and accurate on the K-5 series and K3 bodies. Why would this DC focus system not perform just as great with the new 150 -450?
(And yes I know that asahi man and others have reported that the 150-450 uses a different , and presumably even better, form of this DC focus system)
02-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #69

Yes, apparently. Larger, higher torque, higher speed, more precise.

Why do we refuse to believe Ricoh isn't Hoya? - and neither is it Pentax Corp? They don't release something until it is ready at the their standard.

Until it is shown to be otherwise, I choose to believe this is a superior lens that will surprise us. It needn't focus faster than a USM/SWM lens - it need to focus as fast and as accurately. The coatings (superior final IQ) and the build are the differentiators.

I choose to believe the D-FA* is a truly professional quality lens.

My default belief is Ricoh does it right unless they've made a mistake (and mistakes will be rare). Hoya (and to a degree Pentax Corp) did it wrong unless they made a surprise (K10D).
Agree with you on what the focus needs to be: as fast and precise as the leaders. Plenty happy with that.

This is not a star lens, thatīs the 70-200 (which for my use is absolutely useless), but I sure wish the IQ is on a professional level.
Iīve been itching for this one for a long time, and since yesterday my wallet has been whining like mad.

dpreview states March as launch date, but I canīt find it in the Pentax UK site. Any ideas if that date is true, and global?
02-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #70
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
No need to shout. Maybe Pentax will update the firmware for the K-5's If not any future aps-c dslr will do.
I don't shout.

I just mark important things out.

No, old cameras couldn't be changed via firmware.
02-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Agree with you on what the focus needs to be: as fast and precise as the leaders. Plenty happy with that.

This is not a star lens, thatīs the 70-200 (which for my use is absolutely useless), but I sure wish the IQ is on a professional level.
Iīve been itching for this one for a long time, and since yesterday my wallet has been whining like mad.

dpreview states March as launch date, but I canīt find it in the Pentax UK site. Any ideas if that date is true, and global?
On the other Forum asahi man states the lens focusing system in both lenses is completely new technology. That is, new Pentax Patent motor, new Pentax Patent Drive system. Lenses he says launch planned spring and FF body planned fall.

FWIW, he also said the SR system (IBIS) is also completely new. He called that the biggest technology change in a long time.
02-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
i don't shout.

I just mark important things out.

No, old cameras couldn't be changed via firmware.
Which functions would not work, ogl?????

Thank you in advance!!!
02-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #73

Meanwhile, I've seen the first list price by a European shop... GBP 1999 ( = € 2673; US$ 3066). Eeks. Doesn't seem all that unreasonable, actually, but it does also seem like a good reason not become an early adopter and take my time waiting for thorough reports of other people's experiences .
02-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #74
Veteran Member

FWIW, he also said the SR system (IBIS) is also completely new. He called that the biggest technology change in a long time.
perhaps I'm being overoptimistic, but perhaps it has the sensor shift technology to give us 150 Mpx images....
02-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #75
Pentaxian

The list price is 2200 euro, according to Ricoh Imaging Germany.
Closed Thread