Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 414 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #376
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The Pentax brand is getting better.
No doubt about that also my friend! But the only thing that we discuss here is if it worths the cost.

"New" Pentax 2X old quality at 2X the price --> Still Great company for fewer Pentaxians! (but this is no problem for me as its a company's strategy)

"New" Pentax more times old quality at less times the price --> WONDERFUL news for all photographers! (maybe I can't follow but I will still be excited!)

"New" Pentax less times old quality at more times the price --> BAD news despite the improvement... The worst part is it will resemble Canonikon where the improvements offered each time doesn't justify the big cost they ask for...

04-01-2015, 12:24 AM   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The Pentax brand is getting expensive
Just hope for some favorable Yen/Euro/USD currency movements in the near future
04-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
No doubt about that also my friend! But the only thing that we discuss here is if it worths the cost.
Of course it is.
"New" Pentax 2X old quality at 2X the price --> Still Great company for fewer Pentaxians! (but this is no problem for me as its a company's strategy)
We can't have parity, due to the law of diminishing returns. But - like it or not - we are getting quality and we're asked to pay for it.
"New" Pentax more times old quality at less times the price --> WONDERFUL news for all photographers! (maybe I can't follow but I will still be excited!)
I disagree - it will be BAD news for everyone wanting quality (the best spenders). People wanting "less times the price" will buy discontinued or second hand models anyway because those are the only products offering what they're asking for.
"New" Pentax less times old quality at more times the price --> BAD news despite the improvement... The worst part is it will resemble Canonikon where the improvements offered each time doesn't justify the big cost they ask for...
Looking at their latest releases, we can safely ignore this possibility.
04-01-2015, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #379
Veteran Member

The Pentax brand is getting expensive.........
I just paid £1500 for the new Sigma 150-600mm sport for my Canon 7D, it is beautifully built but is going back because basically it's rubbish at 600mm wide open. The 150-450mm is only a few hundred £ more, it is OEM equipment (which is preferable 99% of the time) and I am betting it will perform better than the Sigma even with the 1.4x attached.

It had better anyway or it will also be going back.

04-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Thanks.
For everything.
Pleasure is mine!

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 11:18 AM ----------

The Pentax brand is getting expensive.........
Some of the new pro gear will be. But they will still continue with the APS-C lineup of cameras and lenses with same quality and prices as before. To survive, they need to aim for the pros too. But that doesn't mean that they will stop doing what they always have done.
04-01-2015, 02:44 AM - 2 Likes   #381
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

What we have now is options. In the "old days" folks didn't have many choices. If you are satisfied with cheaper gear, it will still be available and there are always the Sigma variants if you want to get to 500mm the cheapest way possible, they just won't have the speediest auto focus or maybe the sharpest performance.

The thing to me is that Ricoh has been responsive to the complaints that we have had and is releasing gear that addresses each thing. Some of that gear was bound to be expensive, but I'm still glad that they made the effort and released it, even if there may not be a huge market for a 150 to 450mm lens, for instance.
04-01-2015, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #382
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

The thing to me is that Ricoh has been responsive to the complaints that we have had and is releasing gear that addresses each thing. Some of that gear was bound to be expensive, but I'm still glad that they made the effort and released it, even if there may not be a huge market for a 150 to 450mm lens, for instance.
I have said several times that I hoped this lens would be on par with the new Canon 100-400, and it does appear to be from early impressions, so thank you Pentax!

The fact that it will cost more than I hoped just means I have to save up for longer. First-world problem, deal with it.

04-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #383
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
The glass is not painted, it just has a Matt appearance due the roughened cut surface. Neither is anything else painted. Look at other sectioned lenses to see how they look. A dc motor would only be visible if it was either directly in the cutting plane or not far away. It could be in the section that was removed, or hidden behind some components. Again look at other sdm/DC lens cutaways by pentax, often you can't see the motor either.

I know people want to believe that there is a ring motor in these lenses, but look at the facts which show no evidence of there being one. Asahi mans speculation does not make it a fact, especially since there's no evidence a ring motor is used. Nor does pentax claim they have developed or used unique induction ring motor.
Have a look on this. This is a CAD picture from Olympus
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/f2/6b73ed9081516f447b85a5ff5f598e.jpg
You can see the magnets and coils, looks very similar to the Pentax ones.
I hope it is the case, cause if they use a small DC engine, small engine means low torque, thus the need of a demultiplication gear to increase torque, and low speed since the demultiplication gear reduces speed.
04-03-2015, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #384

I suddenly had a chance to test the lens yesterday (thanks to Kenspro) and made a small web site with a couple of images: Pentax D-FA 15--450mm | Dag Thrane

Somehow the EXIF data disappeared but I´ll look into that and add some more pictures.
04-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DagT Quote
I suddenly had a chance to test the lens yesterday (thanks to Kenspro) and made a small web site with a couple of images: Pentax D-FA 15--450mm | Dag Thrane

Somehow the EXIF data disappeared but I´ll look into that and add some more pictures.

Thanks for that.

04-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #386

Thank you very much! Highly appreciated!
Did you have a chance to get a hand on the new 70-200mm too and take some shots?
04-03-2015, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #387
Veteran Member

Since i dont have the time, its very nice of you to do testings
04-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Since i dont have the time, its very nice of you to do testings
Thanks Ken
04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #389
Pentaxian

Thanks for the examples. I'm curious about the exif and any post processing done, crops etc. Definitely not razor sharp, but results with long lenses are often technique dependent, and experience with the lens over a few months to find the sweet spots.

Last edited by derekkite; 04-03-2015 at 09:50 AM.
04-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Have a look on this. This is a CAD picture from Olympus
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/f2/6b73ed9081516f447b85a5ff5f598e.jpg
You can see the magnets and coils, looks very similar to the Pentax ones.
I hope it is the case, cause if they use a small DC engine, small engine means low torque, thus the need of a demultiplication gear to increase torque, and low speed since the demultiplication gear reduces speed.
I don't believe Ayoh will be convinced by further discussion or examples - and we actually don't know either. However, I will accept asahi man's link to the high torque ring-type ultrasonic motor (powered by DC) as a strong, informed hint. His suggestion, then, infers there is no hidden coil motor and no gear train in the lens at all - silent MicroMotor or traditional drive motor.

I wouldn't put it past Ricoh to alter the cutaway by painting or burnishing the exposed parts to hide their technology.
Closed Thread