Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 414 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For most people shooting a lens like this, with or without stabilization, a steady tripod is a must. I just don't know how many people would really stick a lens this size on their camera and go for a walk in the woods, expecting to come away with some decent shots. I'd have to work out a lot before I could do something like that and the experience wouldn't be particularly enjoyable, even then.
300 and up I HAVE TO use a monopod for mobile shooting. For stationary shooting when the subject is mobile (Nature) I HAVE TO use a tripod and gimbal head.

Sure, I'm old and I'm not a pro and I'm not really any good at this - but then, how many truly full-time, professional, 1000+-clicks-a-day shooters are there? Surely not enough to sell very many long lenses.

04-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #572
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i think they just made sure that every lens is perfect for the first run. It needs to attract pros and you can't have failures haunting you
04-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the thing that I have not understood is why Pentax prices their lenses (without image stabilization) the same as Canon/Nikon do (with image stabilization). To me, one of the benefits of having image stabilization in the body is that you should get a little price break, in that you don't have to pay for IS in each lens. Canon and Nikon charge quite a bit extra for image stabilization, but Pentax doesn't charge any less because they don't have to design it into the lens.
Perhaps they invest the ILIS cost-saving in some other feature/benefit. Maybe IQ - we'll just have to wait and see.
04-30-2015, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #574

QuoteOriginally posted by jpstanisic Quote
Has anyone heard of any delay issues with the Pentax FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6ED? Everyone has been saying a launch in March and here it is almost May. Thoughts on if they are having any problems with build, etc? After pre-ordering I am getting a little worried that the first batch may have issues.
I'll be able to tell you tomorrow when mine will be delivered (provided I'm home, otherwise it's going to be a looooooong weekend) .

04-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #575
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Perhaps they invest the ILIS cost-saving in some other feature/benefit. Maybe IQ - we'll just have to wait and see.
Maybe so. I really am not a complainer about these things. I won't be in the market for the 150-450, but probably will be for the 70-200 down the road (once I get a full frame camera) and I do hope the price is down a little bit at that point.

At the same time, I get that Pentax can't continue long term viability with a name as a "discount" brand.
04-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't be in the market for the 150-450, but probably will be for the 70-200 down the road
Yep. I thought the K-3 and the Princesses would be all I needed. I didn't account for want.

Now it's K-3 and the Princesses + FF and the two Zooms.
04-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I myself has choose Pentax for the price advantage when I will buy lenses without OS. Now, this advantage seems to vanish. And if for some people there is no problem, for many, it is.
It's not a problem, because we're (supposedly) getting quite a step-up in quality - AF speed included.

Money can be made by working hard and cutting on expenses.

04-30-2015, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep. I thought the K-3 and the Princesses would be all I needed. I didn't account for want.

Now it's K-3 and the Princesses + FF and the two Zooms.
Pentax is doing a number on us..... it' going to take more control than before to keep the "want that" list from becoming overwhelming. This is completely unfair to a certain type of pentax customer. The one who saved money with Pentax because, they just didn't have a lot of the latest greatest stuff to sell him. Pentax just deep sixed us.

If I wanted to patronize a camera company that made dozens of things i can't afford, I could have gone with Nikon or Canon anytime.

Pentax is doomed.
04-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #579
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
I'll be able to tell you tomorrow when mine will be delivered (provided I'm home, otherwise it's going to be a looooooong weekend) .
I might cancell my W-end just to get it when it arrives on saturday, as tomorrow is "labour day" holliday... but despatch isn't confirmed YET...
04-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #580

Guessing Europe is getting it first. I ordered mine through B&H here in NYC, USA ... and still nothing, no idea when shipping. Well, good luck with it and post some photos when you get it! Can't wait to see!
04-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Money can be made by working hard and cutting on expenses.
I thought they we both live in the same country. It seems I was wrong.
04-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #582
Veteran Member

It's encouraging to see all these people here pre-ordering the 150-450.

Looks to me like there is a pent-up demand for a lens of this range and class in Pentaxland.
04-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #583
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpstanisic Quote
Guessing Europe is getting it first. I ordered mine through B&H here in NYC, USA ... and still nothing, no idea when shipping. Well, good luck with it and post some photos when you get it! Can't wait to see!
Just been told the first shipments to Europe have arrived in Germany, despatch is taking place now.
First arrival in Paris scheduled to be this saturday, available next tuesday (5th of may).
I guess Amsterdam is a bit closer than Paris from Berlin.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-30-2015 at 08:28 AM.
04-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #584
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I thought they we both live in the same country. It seems I was wrong.
Sorry. It probably wasn't fair to say that - as I have a job that allows me to (barely) afford such lenses. However, they didn't make the 150-450 with Romania in mind
04-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #585
Veteran Member

I guess the thing that I have not understood is why Pentax prices their lenses (without image stabilization) the same as Canon/Nikon do (with image stabilization). To me, one of the benefits of having image stabilization in the body is that you should get a little price break, in that you don't have to pay for IS in each lens. Canon and Nikon charge quite a bit extra for image stabilization, but Pentax doesn't charge any less because they don't have to design it into the lens.
Do you pay a premium campared to canikon for the inbody SR?
Closed Thread