Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #736

Will here is the jest of it all.
I have used sigma lenses with
Canon bodies. Seems Sigma and Tamron will discontinue making lenses for Pentax bodies.
According to Sigma and Tam on
Both companies decided not enough volume sales by Pentax owners. What ever you decided on make it quick. Soon Pentax owners are going to be left in the dark.
Including myself.
I too have owned Sigma lenses on my Canon. I did prefer the L lenses from Canon. May just convert back to Canon. Not enough support for PENTAX owners.
Just when I was getting the hang of my K5iis.

05-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by f1monza Quote
Canon bodies. Seems Sigma and Tamron will discontinue making lenses for Pentax bodies.
Both companies decided not enough volume sales by Pentax owners. What ever you decided on make it quick. Soon Pentax owners are going to be left in the dark.
Including myself.
I too have owned Sigma lenses on my Canon. I did prefer the L lenses from Canon. May just convert back to Canon. Not enough support for PENTAX owners.
There's people in the forum who have been using Pentax for decades while others like yourself danced and howled about the impending doom and gloom. The brand is not going anywhere....

Last edited by Stavri; 05-04-2015 at 07:10 PM.
05-04-2015, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will here is the jest of it all. I have used sigma lenses with Canon bodies. Seems Sigma and Tamron will discontinue making lenses for Pentax bodies. According to Sigma and Tam on Both companies decided not enough volume sales by Pentax owners. What ever you decided on make it quick. Soon Pentax owners are going to be left in the dark. Including myself. I too have owned Sigma lenses on my Canon. I did prefer the L lenses from Canon. May just convert back to Canon. Not enough support for PENTAX owners. Just when I was getting the hang of my K5iis.
Cannot decide whether to laugh or cry....................
05-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #739
Veteran Member

Including myself.
Are Ricoh stopping making Pentax lenses? No, they are making more.

Have Ricoh changed the K-mount so that old K-mount lenses no longer fit? No.

Panic not.

05-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Forget that guy, he's a buffoon way out of his depths...
05-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Forget that guy, he's a buffoon way out of his depths...
Now, now lets be nice. After all he just moved to Pentax from Canon a month ago. Shame he had to give up all that L glass.................. Going to be expensive buying it all back.
05-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
Weather was a bit better today; I'm starting to REALLY love this lens. I cannot really be bothered to put any shoots on Flickr for review purposes, but here's one, cropped to about a quarter of the frame (i.e., the image is 6.6 MP from the K-3's 24.3 MP).

These ducks fly at a speed of about 90 km/h.

For birding purposes, this thing is boss. I finally managed to ID a peregrine because I could read the code on her leg ring after blowing up the frame, that kind of thing. Most of today's harvest is here; mind you most of these images have first been cropped to about 5-10% of the original frame, then downsized to 800 * 600. Not the thing you do if you want to take pretty pictures, but the distance simply requires it. I actually tried it with the 1.7x AFA as well; the results aren't exactly pretty, but it works.
Superb details!

Taking the time to post all of those shots taken with the 150-450 helps a tremendous lot (for me at least) for decision making.
Thanks for that and ... keep them coming !

Cheers!

JP

05-05-2015, 04:31 AM   #743
Pentaxian

Thanks for the new pictures !
Some other ones here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/olli1783/sets/
05-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #744
Pentaxian

These look quite impressive even with the 1.4TC!

The last two are without TC?

Have you done any post processing?
05-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #745
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Weather was a bit better today; I'm starting to REALLY love this lens. I cannot really be bothered to put any shoots on Flickr for review purposes, but here's one, cropped to about a quarter of the frame (i.e., the image is 6.6 MP from the K-3's 24.3 MP).
Very nice! It would be great to have a lens that can catch BIF. The AF on my DA*300 is just too slow.
05-05-2015, 05:35 AM   #746

Photos: Gallery

These ducks fly at a speed of about 90 km/h.

For birding purposes, this thing is boss. I finally managed to ID a peregrine because I could read the code on her leg ring after blowing up the frame, that kind of thing. Most of today's harvest is here; mind you most of these images have first been cropped to about 5-10% of the original frame, then downsized to 800 * 600. Not the thing you do if you want to take pretty pictures, but the distance simply requires it. I actually tried it with the 1.7x AFA as well; the results aren't exactly pretty, but it works.
Thanks for all your efforts, OJGoreng. Highly appreciated!
What I wonder is what you think of the bokeh of the lens? I ask because in some of these early samples especially the bokeh in the background looks rather busy and somewhat harsh, e.g. when birds are shot through twigs and branches or with these as a background. I have not seen anything comparable in shots with the two Sigma 150-600 which seem to render a smoother bokeh. What are your first impressions of the Pentax?
Thanks.
05-05-2015, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #747
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Very nice! It would be great to have a lens that can catch BIF. The AF on my DA*300 is just too slow.
Slow, yes, but it can be done.

Size-reduced "Gannet over story sea": K-5IIs + DA* 300mm f/4:

05-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #748
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great shots. Thanks everyone for sharing. Both 150-450 and the DA* 300 are great lenses.
05-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
You actually can do BIF with a "lowly" K5 and DA*300/4 ... .... of course, this gear here (K3 and 150-450) is another game altogether.

JP
05-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #750

Looks like B&H has the 150-450 in stock!

Jerry
Manassas VA
Closed Thread