Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Since we have broken off from news to simple discussion, I wonder if the FF lowers the APS-C only gear pricing? It should be interesting in seeing if Ricoh further segments each sensor size tier by pricing.
I think that already happened. With K-3II coming out at $1,099 for flagship body I think that is already discounted in anticipation of FF.

K-S2 at $700
K-3II at $1,100
FF at $2,500

Hmm, that is a big gap. Wonder what fits in there?

05-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #782
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
Got my 150-450 yesterday. It is sharp at 450mm from f6.3 onward. I expected it to be a little bit sharper at f5.6, but I guess it's usable. Like every new lens, it comes with a learning curve. But one thing is already very clear: The AF of my K50 is not the ideal partner for the lens. Don't get me wrong: it works, but I just feel that it will be a whole other level with the AF of the K3/K3II. So I ordered a K3... never ending story...
I will post some pictures later.
Hmm others have said its sharp at 5.6... maybe its the K50 AF ? have you tested with LV & MF on a tripod,MU etc.. makes a big diff if not sharp at 5.6..even the MTF charts seem to say it is
Look forward to some pics
05-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #783
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe he has a higher standard for sharpness.
05-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Originally posted by jpzk You actually can do BIF with a "lowly" K5 and DA*300/4 ... .... of course, this gear here (K3 and 150-450) is another game altogether. That's what I'm hoping! For me, the price of this lens is a huge investment, so I want to be sure that it's going to bring me photos I can't get now - or maybe photos I can get now, but more easily. For me, the main issue with this lens is that I'll have to use a tripod, and that will be a different kind of photography to what I've been doing so far.
Well, FWIW, I don't use a tripod (except for long exposures with much smaller lenses) with the larger lenses but I do sometimes take the monopod out and that does the trick.
I am just curious why you will "have to" use a tripod with this 150-450.

JP

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Originally posted by wisent Got my 150-450 yesterday. It is sharp at 450mm from f6.3 onward. I expected it to be a little bit sharper at f5.6, but I guess it's usable. Like every new lens, it comes with a learning curve. But one thing is already very clear: The AF of my K50 is not the ideal partner for the lens. Don't get me wrong: it works, but I just feel that it will be a whole other level with the AF of the K3/K3II. So I ordered a K3... never ending story...
I will post some pictures later. Hmm others have said its sharp at 5.6... maybe its the K50 AF ? have you tested with LV & MF on a tripod,MU etc.. makes a big diff if not sharp at 5.6..even the MTF charts seem to say it is
I would assume that this lens is tailor-made to be used with a K3 and/or K3II to get the most out of it.
Just a thought.

Last edited by jpzk; 05-06-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
05-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #785
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, FWIW, I don't use a tripod (except for long exposures with much smaller lenses) with the larger lenses but I do sometimes take the monopod out and that does the trick. I am just curious why you will "have to" use a tripod with this 150-450.
I've successfully used the DA*300 and HD-DA 1.4 TC (1.2Kg) on the K3 hand held, but for me it's at the limit of weight and focal length to get sharp photos. The 150-450 weighs 2.1 Kg, nearly double the DA*300/TC combination. That moves the centre of gravity of the combination away from the body and makes it a lot harder to hold steady. Maybe I need to spend a lot of time at the gym, but I have little enough spare time as it is. You may well be a lot stronger than I am, so you can comfortably hand hold heavier lenses. Yes, I'll have to look at a monopod option as well. Wish I knew what happened to the one my Dad bought yonks ago. I've been astonished by some of the lenses I've seen the Canikon crowd lugging around.
05-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, FWIW, I don't use a tripod (except for long exposures with much smaller lenses) with the larger lenses but I do sometimes take the monopod out and that does the trick.
I am just curious why you will "have to" use a tripod with this 150-450.

JP

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 10:50 PM ----------

I would assume that this lens is almost tailored made to be used with a K3 and/or K3II to get the most out of it.
Just a thought.
that's what I think as well..dying to see the K3II & this baby together
05-05-2015, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #787
JPT
Pentaxian

There is one user review of this lens so far on the Japanese site Kakaku.com, with a few downsized samples (not his fault - the site limits the image size). The guy seems quite knowledgeable and he/she's impressed by the lens.

http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000740512/#tab

From what I understand, the writer likes the optical qualities of the lens, especially the resolution, bokeh and performance in backlit situations. He/she likes the feel of the lens very much, saying that the feel of the focus ring and the tightness of the zoom ring are just right. The one concern is that the AF can get confused by busy backgrounds, and he/she thinks this is more of a limitation of the K-3 body than the lens itself.

05-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #788
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think that already happened. With K-3II coming out at $1,099 for flagship body I think that is already discounted in anticipation of FF.

K-S2 at $700
K-3II at $1,100
FF at $2,500

Hehe
05-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #789
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
the AF can get confused by busy backgrounds
I believe it's common for camera AF to have problems with that, especially if there is little to separate the subject from the background (eg strong contrasting features in the subject, strong colour differences between subject and background). Particularly when attempting AF tracking.

Be keen to see reviews that pair the K-3 II with this lens.
05-05-2015, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is one user review of this lens so far on the Japanese site Kakaku.com, with a few downsized samples (not his fault - the site limits the image size). The guy seems quite knowledgeable and he/she's impressed by the lens.

http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000740512/#tab

From what I understand, the writer likes the optical qualities of the lens, especially the resolution, bokeh and performance in backlit situations. He/she likes the feel of the lens very much, saying that the feel of the focus ring and the tightness of the zoom ring are just right. The one concern is that the AF can get confused by busy backgrounds, and he/she thinks this is more of a limitation of the K-3 body than the lens itself.
I've never seen such a strange choice of subject on a telephoto lens review, the user states "he likes shooting landscapes" with the lens. I'm also dumbfounded by this person's rating system:

Operability-----------Four
Expressive power---Five
Portability-------------One
Functionality----------Four
Level of satisfaction--Five
05-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #791
JPT
Pentaxian

I think something's lost in translation. Those are the criteria for all lens reviews on that site and not the reviewer's choice.

I can sympathize with the photos too. It's not always easy to get to any real landscape if you live in an urban part of Japan. I usually take my new lenses down to the local park to test them and the results are nothing to be proud of, but it gives me a feel for how the lens performs.
05-06-2015, 03:22 AM   #792
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hmm others have said its sharp at 5.6... maybe its the K50 AF ? have you tested with LV & MF on a tripod,MU etc.. makes a big diff if not sharp at 5.6..even the MTF charts seem to say it is
I thought about that too. so I put it on a tripod, used CDAF/LV, remote control with 3 sec MU and base ISO. But still...

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Maybe he has a higher standard for sharpness.
I think, that may be be the case. Maybe I was expecting too much from the early reviews/pictures and the MTF charts.

Will post pictures, as soon as I have some time.
05-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #793
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

K-S2 at $700
K-3II at $1,100
FF at $2,500

What about lenses? That was my primary concern.

Besides you are assuming over the price of the FF body.

Last edited by mee; 05-06-2015 at 05:52 AM.
05-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #794
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
I thought about that too. so I put it on a tripod, used CDAF/LV, remote control with 3 sec MU and base ISO. But still...

I think, that may be be the case. Maybe I was expecting too much from the early reviews/pictures and the MTF charts.

Will post pictures, as soon as I have some time.
Do you have the DA*300? if so how would you compare sharpness wide open,as the 300 is quite good at 4.0
05-06-2015, 10:05 AM - 14 Likes   #795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few of my first ones.

Closed Thread