Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 414 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #901
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Without some common sense they won't have it for long!

Another rainy morning Bigma @ 500mm....wide open at 6.7...Handheld through double pane glass @1/50....ISO 2000. Cropped 50%.

Enough cash left over for a weekend cruise in the Caribbean!

Regards!
You'd be amazed at how much cash some people have.

05-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cash management for gearheads...

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
You'd be amazed at how much cash some people have.
Buy one sell one or sell at least 50% of outlay...
05-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #903
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
With respect, Jim, there are folks who have a use for the lens and those who don't. For shooting squirrels and birds at bird feeders, you may not see much improvement, but it does seem that there is some image quality boost for the 150-450 over the Bigma. It is great that you are satisfied with the Bigma, but not everyone is.
I agree with that! My point is that although the Bigma gets a lot of knocks from "Pentax Purists" it is more than decent enough for 90%plus shooters that are not Pros but want decent shots. It's not a given that the new Pentax 150-450 will satisfy Pros either, is it?

I'm also looking at the cost factor....maybe the savings could be used on a truly fantastic lens...like your FA31, a truly significant lens.

Most of the complaints I hear about the Bigma are from those who don't know how to use it, or are not strong enough to use it. If used properly and if you can handhold it, you can get shots plenty decent enough for the vast majority of shooters...and save a little cash while doing it!

If this won't meet your demands, neither will the 150-450.....I guarantee!

70% crop....handheld at 40 feet, double pane glass, 500mm......did I mention the nice Bigma bokeh I can get?
Wow! Doesn't look like this was shot at a feeder? Yep, Bigmas don't have to shoot at feeders...how shocking!

There is a place for the 150-450, as you mentioned.....but there is a place for the Bigmas too, let's don't rule that out......however, it looks like Sigma has ruled out Pentax, so maybe that is where the "hate" comes from?

Regards!
05-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bigma's rule, when...

I agree with that! My point is that although the Bigma gets a lot of knocks from "Pentax Purists" it is more than decent enough for 90%plus shooters that are not Pros but want decent shots. It's not a given that the new Pentax 150-450 will satisfy Pros either, is it?

I'm also looking at the cost factor....maybe the savings could be used on a truly fantastic lens...like your FA31, a truly significant lens.

Most of the complaints I hear about the Bigma are from those who don't know how to use it, or are not strong enough to use it. If used properly and if you can handhold it, you can get shots plenty decent enough for the vast majority of shooters...and save a little cash while doing it!

70% crop....handheld at 40 feet, double pane glass, 500mm......did I mention the nice Bigma bokeh I can get?
Wow! Doesn't look like this was shot at a feeder? Yep, Bigmas don't have to shoot at feeders...how shocking!

There is a place for the 150-450, as you mentioned.....but there is a place for the Bigmas too, let's don't rule that out......however, it looks like Sigma has ruled out Pentax, so maybe that is where the "hate" comes from?

Regards!
Cash is tight, Pentax has no offering in class, Size and weight matters (my wife likes her 120-400 vs 150-450 DFA due to weight), Post Processing and pixel shift can handle issues, and/or EXIF doesn't matter.... I have owned several Siggies in the past 25 years... 400 f5.6, 120-400, 170-500. Let's give Siggy their due, decent, workable long zooms when Pentax didn't produce, and a low cost alternative for frugal Pentaxians... In the MF days Tammy had a few gems too 300 F2.8, Mirrors, metal bodied 90 Macro, to name a few...

05-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #905
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Kenneth when are we going to see pictures from the D-FA* 70-200 f2.8?....(just send it over if you're too busy)
Its been delayed on shipping, so haven't got it yet. I have many concerts and festivals during june..so i hope i can use ut then

But 150-450 has started shipping now.
05-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #906
Pentaxian

I don't know Rupert, claiming a Bigma is as good as a 150-450 sight unseen might be a little premature. My guess is the 150-450 will be of interest to people who wish to sell their work. In my mind, anyone who isn't shouldn't even be looking at a lens that expensive. But to claim the average guy won't see a difference.... maybe , maybe not. We have to wait and see.
05-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #907
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Regards!
I don't own any of these lenses. Longest lens I own is the DA 55-300, but I think that hear a lot of folks saying is that they want something like the DA *300 offers, with regard to quality, but with more length. The Bigma is fine, but if you have a heavy crop, it won't necessarily hold up quite as well. It also isn't quite as fast as this lens.

It is a little bit like comparing the DA 55-300 to the DA *300. Yes, I can get shots with the DA 55-300 that are nice, particularly if I don't have to crop too much, but that doesn't mean that the DA *300 doesn't out perform it in a lot of situations.

05-13-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #908
Pentaxian

If I was a smarter dude i wouldn't get involved in these things (but, I'm going to do the comparison, so I may as well post it) ...... guess which is shot with the Bigma through a window?

With thanks to dsport (Peter Lee) lifted from this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/132843-boke...ml#post3252145

I'm not sure you're helping your cause here Rupert.
I post images taken with my Sigma 70-300 shot at 300mm, but I wouldn't believe for a second they wouldn't look better shot with a DA* 300 ƒ4, or my dream lens an A* 300 ƒ2.8.

So far the DA 150-450 is looking really good.

Last edited by normhead; 05-13-2015 at 08:59 AM.
05-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #909
Veteran Member

The Bigma is $1500 at B&H for example ,I can get the 150-450 for $1880 ex taxes...so why would I get a non WR lens which is not the sharpest at 500 wide open,compared to the Pentax which is like a DA* 300 IQ wise at 450 ?? yes maybe many won't see or care about the difference..but its always that few % that makes it stand out... example I can sell you a flute for $2000 or $5000, maybe a 5% diff in sound/tone ,but that inspires the player--so it worth it to some..
05-13-2015, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #910
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
The Bigma is $1500 at B&H for example ,I can get the 150-450 for $1880 ex taxes...so why would I get a non WR lens which is not the sharpest at 500 wide open,compared to the Pentax which is like a DA* 300 IQ wise at 450 ?? yes maybe many won't see or care about the difference..but its always that few % that makes it stand out... example I can sell you a flute for $2000 or $5000, maybe a 5% diff in sound/tone ,but that inspires the player--so it worth it to some..
And the simple truth is, most of us will pay the highest price we can afford.
05-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #911
Veteran Member

A few dozen pages back I pondered on the high price of being a Pentax wildlife connoisseur, pricy legacy glass, scant offerings from 3rd parties ( how the Sigma 400 telemakro is 2.5x more on PK then AI mount). We owe 3rd party makers a lot of gratitude otherwise wildlife photography would be a spectator sport, the only folks on the 300+mm thread with outstanding shots would be the few lucky owners of premium legacy glass. There'll always be a market for sigma and tamron and (hopefully) Tokina but I'm also excited that Ricoh/Pentax got their grove back and are again producing lenses of uncompromising quality For those who can afford them.
05-13-2015, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #912
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is the truth; and some of us will save up to get a Pentax lens. I want all my lenses to have controls that turn in the same direction. I have tried third party lenses many times, and about 25 years ago decided to heck with it. If I cannot afford the newest Pentax lens, I will use my old stuff and save up for Pentax. The 150-450 has weather resistance, and that is worth quite a bit to me. I'm saving up.
05-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #913
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very simple, very true.
05-13-2015, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #914
Veteran Member

Most of the complaints I hear about the Bigma
No doubt the Bigma is a fine lens. My main Bigma complaint is that this thread is supposed to be about a recently released Pentax lens ...
05-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #915
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If I was a smarter dude i wouldn't get involved in these things (but, I'm going to do the comparison, so I may as well post it) ...... guess which is shot with the Bigma through a window?
We'll let Old Granny the picture viewer decide...If she picks the one on the left she can have it for her photo album. If she picks the one on the right...(she does love blue, you know!)...then she can have it for her photo album and $1100.00 in US cash........the difference between a Pentax 150-450 and a like new used Bigma 50-500, which can easily be found for around $700.

Old Granny is on a tight budget......like many people are nowadays...reckon which one she will choose?

Shot this a few minutes ago through those windows, maybe it would be better outside and closer...and at ISO 80 instead of ISO 6400?
Reckon it is good enough for Old Granny? If I don't tell her it was shot with a Bigma, she might find it acceptable?
Surely she has a use for that $1100.00 if she adds it too her album?

Regards!

Let me add a little here...I have no problem with Pentax FINALLY giving us some decent long glass....I think it is a great move, but it is not the Holy Grail. There are other options for those that don't want to spent a lot of cash...or just can't afford it. I don't like Brand Snobbery, no matter what brand it is (except I do hate Canon!) ....and to knock a lens because it is not a Pentax is ridiculous in my view. I have had more joy than I can relate over the years from my "lowly Bigma" and others have too. If we get to the point that if it's "not Pentax" then you aren't in the club...the club will shrink pretty fast...and Pentax is not a big club to start with.

Last edited by Rupert; 05-13-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Closed Thread