Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #961
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The d-Fa seems like a home run, great range, flexibility, as sharp as most of the primes in the lineup, it's an easy choice for those who have the means. I suspect the d-Fa 24-70 is going to be extremely popular as well given its focal range, Ricoh will sell a lot of these two. The d-FA* 70-200 however IMO seems like a tougher sell, my guess is it will probably be first adopted by wedding and event photogs and then slowly by the "proteurs"...

05-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #962
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The d-Fa seems like a home run, great range, flexibility, as sharp as most of the primes in the lineup, it's an easy choice for those who have the means. I suspect the d-Fa 24-70 is going to be extremely popular as well given its focal range, Ricoh will sell a lot of these two. The d-FA* 70-200 however IMO seems like a tougher sell, my guess is it will probably be first adopted by wedding and event photogs and then slowly by the "proteurs"...
I'm curious about a /4 version of 24/70 or about...
05-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #963
Veteran Member

While I was out shooting with the D FA 150-450mm, I met someone using a Nikon APS-C camera and a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (I don't know which).

He shoots a lot of Rugby (football), and although really an amateur he sells some. He says that his lens is pretty good for the purpose when the action is reasonable close, although not good enough for the shots at the far end of the field that professionals just have to get.

He said he always uses it wide open, because of the need to stop the action.

I think I'm going to try some of that when my pre-ordered D FA* 70-200mm arrives! It will be a new experience for me, and I don't think I've really been equipped for it so far.
05-15-2015, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #964
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
new photo's are uploaded, I've edited the original msg #938 with the new links.

my thoughts:
there's not that much difference in IQ between the two lenses. the dfa is better then the da* with the tc attached. At f8 the da* can get a nervous bokeh while the dfa is still smooth. AF wise its a difference between your local train and a bullet train. The dfa is way quicker and more precise.
In harsh situations you get visible ca with the da*, less with the dfa.

Last edited by Franc; 05-15-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: done uploading
05-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #965
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
...a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens... although not good enough for the shots at the far end of the field that professionals just have to get.
Makes sense.

I guess that's where hefty and expensive lenses like the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 or the 200-400mm f/4's from Canon and Nikon fill a niche, especially for full-frame sports shooters.
05-15-2015, 01:32 AM   #966
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is one user review of this lens so far on the Japanese site Kakaku.com, with a few downsized samples (not his fault - the site limits the image size). The guy seems quite knowledgeable and he/she's impressed by the lens. From what I understand, the writer likes the optical qualities of the lens, especially the resolution, bokeh and performance in backlit situations. He/she likes the feel of the lens very much, saying that the feel of the focus ring and the tightness of the zoom ring are just right. The one concern is that the AF can get confused by busy backgrounds, and he/she thinks this is more of a limitation of the K-3 body than the lens itself.
And they suggested that it might be better with the K3II. I checked it mainly to see if I could identify the gender of the writer, but they've used a strange made-up name for their login. I see the lens is more expensive on kakaku than Adorama. So it looks like the Japanese prices are as usual higher than the US, since kakaku is the cheapest "place" I've found in Japan for Pentax gear.
05-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #967
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
new photo's are uploaded,
Thank you for making the effort to do this. Very useful.

Your images also show how decent the 1.4TC is, on both lenses.

05-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
new photo's are uploaded, I've edited the original msg #938 with the new links.

my thoughts:
there's not that much difference in IQ between the two lenses. the dfa is better then the da* with the tc attached. At f8 the da* can get a nervous bokeh while the dfa is still smooth. AF wise its a difference between your local train and a bullet train. The dfa is way quicker and more precise.
In harsh situations you get visible ca with the da*, less with the dfa.
Thank you for your thoughts, it's really putting the DFA on my radar for the end of the year.
05-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect the d-Fa 24-70 is going to be extremely popular as well given its focal range, Ricoh will sell a lot of these two. ...
I wonder how big (and heavy) it will be....
05-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #970
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Materials Will help.... 150-450 AF Fine Tune Update

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I wonder how big (and heavy) it will be....

Even with 28-70 FA. More glass, lighter materials for structure?

BTW note on 150-450.... AF Fine tune was +1 on 2 different K-3s using Yvon Bourque charts. Most consistent performer other than 100mm Macro WR and 300 DA* F4 (also tight). 300 FA* 2.8 was -5 and -7 on 2 different bodies. Amazing enough the "cheap and cheerful" 18-270 SDM was 0 and 0 on both bodies... Not bad for a lens that gets little love...

Pål: Going to be in Oslo July 16-18. Where is the best RindPfeffer?
05-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #971
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It could also simply have been the Adorama web manager testing the cart link after publishing. For an expensive item, you want to be sure the cart link works OK.

It could even have been Otis Squirrel.....he not only sells over on E-bay, scams and rip-offs are his main source of income....he does buy things too, whenever I leave my credit cards unsecured. Recently a Budweiser truck pulled up in my drive and delivered 50 cases of Bud Light out into the Woods of Otis. It was on my new Visa statement.

Never underestimate the buying power of Otis Squirrel......he lives the life of leisure, more like a king than a damn squirrel!

So what did he do with all that Bud Light? Apparently he is drinking it regularly?

The true definition of "hungover".

Regards!
05-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #972
Veteran Member

I just noticed that the good old Photoble uploader has 4 pages of D FA 150-450mm sample pictures on it, including some neat full-size PIF (planes in flight) and TOT (trains on tracks) samples ...
05-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #973
Pentaxian

two more with the TC attached, very windy conditions and harsh light.

05-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #974
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I just noticed that the good old Photoble uploader has 4 pages of D FA 150-450mm sample pictures on it, including some neat full-size PIF (planes in flight) and TOT (trains on tracks) samples ...
Nice shots...if you like planes and trains. I'm more into handsome squirrels and a few nice birdies...maybe a raccoon or a possum once in a while.
Find me 4 pages of handsome squirrels shot with the D FA 150-450 of good quality and I guarantee you I will order this lens today! If a long lens won't shoot handsome squirrels, it has little or no value!

Regards!
05-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #975
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots...if you like planes and trains. I'm more into handsome squirrels and a few nice birdies...maybe a raccoon or a possum once in a while.
Find me 4 pages of handsome squirrels shot with the D FA 150-450 of good quality and I guarantee you I will order this lens today! If a long lens won't shoot handsome squirrels, it has little or no value!

Regards!
You are always so demanding..
Closed Thread