Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #1096
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Case for 150-450 & K5II +grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi anyone found a good case for this lens with camera attached? Lowe Pro Toploader Pro 75AWII is 4 cm too short
also are there any straps that connect to the lens to take the stress of the camera while carrying it?

Thanks

05-31-2015, 01:03 AM   #1097
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi anyone found a good case for this lens with camera attached? Lowe Pro Toploader Pro 75AWII is 4 cm too short
also are there any straps that connect to the lens to take the stress of the camera while carrying it?

Thanks
I'm carrying the lens+camera on a BlackRapid Sport strap attached to the lens' tripod mount. That has the weight on my shoulder instead of my neck and it balances out nicely. I've walked about 8km with this combo last week-end while hardly feeling any discomfort, and I had a monopod attached to the second screw hole of the tripod mount.

hth, Wim
05-31-2015, 03:34 AM   #1098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Found a "vertically oriented" bag

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote

Thanks
I like "stealth bags" for most things. I use a 10+ year old Tamrac Extreme Pack 787 black with no markings, a Manfrotto Pro Roller 70, and a Thinktank Retrospective 20. The Retrospective 20 (and their suburban 30) are both tall enough for the 150-450 unattached, but I have gotten the 150-450 in the Retrospective 20 with a body attached. It has a roughly 12.5" (31cm deep space)... The flap is long enough to cover it well and secure shut. Comes in worn out looking faded khaki as well as black and another color. In Khaki, does not look like a camera bag. The other bags look like rotty backpacks and a boring worn rollaboard (old worn brown leather tabs on the backpack) and nothing on the manfrotto except a red dot. Luggage tags are "medical equipment" marked. Nothing camera brand showing.

Retrospective? 20 (Pinestone) Shoulder Bag - Think Tank is the bag link, B&H and Adorama carry it...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 05-31-2015 at 03:41 AM.
05-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #1099
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still at Hand To Hand Combat

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Try shaving small strips of Irsih Spring bar soap into your vegetable garden using a carrot peeler. Repels everything!. When it rains, lather, rinse, repeat.

Sounds stupid but it works - even keeps deer out of the Hosta beds.

2 bars shaved, 1 split and hung. This one was 6" from the shavings and a hung bar.... (100mm 2.8 Macro WR and AF160FC handheld)

THX for the try though...

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Squirrels hate peppermint oil.....I use it on the wiring of my cars to prevent them from eating the wiring harness. Works anywhere. Buy the concentrated little bottles in the grocery store.

8 inches from the felt with Peppermint oil... I tried "Shock and Awe"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-31-2015, 07:01 AM   #1100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I'm carrying the lens+camera on a BlackRapid Sport strap attached to the lens' tripod mount. That has the weight on my shoulder instead of my neck and it balances out nicely. I've walked about 8km with this combo last week-end while hardly feeling any discomfort, and I had a monopod attached to the second screw hole of the tripod mount.

hth, Wim
Thanks I check it out

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
I like "stealth bags" for most things. I use a 10+ year old Tamrac Extreme Pack 787 black with no markings, a Manfrotto Pro Roller 70, and a Thinktank Retrospective 20. The Retrospective 20 (and their suburban 30) are both tall enough for the 150-450 unattached, but I have gotten the 150-450 in the Retrospective 20 with a body attached. It has a roughly 12.5" (31cm deep space)... The flap is long enough to cover it well and secure shut. Comes in worn out looking faded khaki as well as black and another color. In Khaki, does not look like a camera bag. The other bags look like rotty backpacks and a boring worn rollaboard (old worn brown leather tabs on the backpack) and nothing on the manfrotto except a red dot. Luggage tags are "medical equipment" marked. Nothing camera brand showing.

Retrospective? 20 (Pinestone) Shoulder Bag - Think Tank is the bag link, B&H and Adorama carry it...
Hi thanks will check them out..look really cool
05-31-2015, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #1101
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Actually I don't have a clue who Franc is, but hey.... he's been saying something all along, apparently, at least he says he has.
Norm, I have tracked down Franc through the services of Otis Squirrel...you know Otis collects information for the NSA, FBI, and CIA. Otis says Franc is an undercover squirrel that is used to spread both information and misinformation.....Otis said he could tell me more but he would then have to kill me.

Glass Junkie....."8 inches from the felt with Peppermint oil... I tried "Shock and Awe"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287834-hd-pentax-d-...#ixzz3bj2SD7CC

I am sorry you are not having any luck with these barriers. Otis informs that "Suicide Squirrels" are not deterred by any chemical or irritant on earth when they get hungry. My personal recommendation for those nasty "Suicide Squirrels" is to grant their desire with some .22 hot lead.......so far they have not developed an immunity to hot lead...although I am sure they are working on it.

You can also put the offending squirrel in a box and give them "Time Out" like little kids get when they misbehave....but I haven't had much luck with it personally....

Shanti
.....Show us some shots...we are holding our breath in anticipation! Don't let us die here waiting!

Regards!
06-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #1102
Veteran Member

I found out the Australian price for this lens... $2,999

Pentax HD D FA DC AW 150 450mm F4 5 5 6 Zoom Lens Black | eBay

Listed on dcxpert's store - they're the eBay front end for CR-Kennedy, the Australian distributor for Pentax.

06-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #1103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Norm, I have tracked down Franc through the services of Otis Squirrel...you know Otis collects information for the NSA, FBI, and CIA. Otis says Franc is an undercover squirrel that is used to spread both information and misinformation.....Otis said he could tell me more but he would then have to kill me.

Glass Junkie....."8 inches from the felt with Peppermint oil... I tried "Shock and Awe"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287834-hd-pentax-d-...#ixzz3bj2SD7CC

I am sorry you are not having any luck with these barriers. Otis informs that "Suicide Squirrels" are not deterred by any chemical or irritant on earth when they get hungry. My personal recommendation for those nasty "Suicide Squirrels" is to grant their desire with some .22 hot lead.......so far they have not developed an immunity to hot lead...although I am sure they are working on it.

You can also put the offending squirrel in a box and give them "Time Out" like little kids get when they misbehave....but I haven't had much luck with it personally....

Shanti
.....Show us some shots...we are holding our breath in anticipation! Don't let us die here waiting!

Regards!
Hi Rupert, nice shot. Too bad we don't have squirrels here.
06-05-2015, 03:56 AM   #1104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
2 bars shaved, 1 split and hung. This one was 6" from the shavings and a hung bar.... (100mm 2.8 Macro WR and AF160FC handheld)

THX for the try though...

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 09:32 AM ----------

8 inches from the felt with Peppermint oil... I tried "Shock and Awe"
The only thing I know of is to use electric fence. I ended up resorting to that a couple of years ago and I put aluminum foil strips with peanut butter on them on the fence and they stay away.
06-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #1105
Pentaxian

Can anyone who owns both the DFA and the bigma post a comparison picture at the longest end of each zoom? I am really curious of the magnification and the image quality differences... (at the same aperture)
06-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #1106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Can anyone who owns both the DFA and the bigma post a comparison picture at the longest end of each zoom? I am really curious of the magnification and the image quality differences... (at the same aperture)
I sold my 50-500mm OS (and 100-300mm f4) to buy the 150-450mm. I had some great results from the Sigma but I'm hoping the Pentax lens is that little bit better. Also the Sigma wouldn't play well with the Pentax 1.4x and from what I can see the 150-450mm works fine.
06-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #1107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I sold my 50-500mm OS (and 100-300mm f4) to buy the 150-450mm. I had some great results from the Sigma but I'm hoping the Pentax lens is that little bit better. Also the Sigma wouldn't play well with the Pentax 1.4x and from what I can see the 150-450mm works fine.
Exactly what I'm thinking Mike! I have the 50-500 which is really good and I'm considering the Pentax 150-450 for the extra something! My concerns are whether the 450mm will give noticeably less reach (or is it in my mind?) and also as I like shooting airplanes the 50-150mm is very useful as it allows to carry only one camera-lens.

On the other hand I had read (I can't remember where) that the 50-500 is really somewhere over 450mm at the long end, so the difference might be very small. That is why I'm asking!

In fact I would prefer to buy a 150-600 lens but since it is not an option for Pentax (and I really love my K-5IIs) I'm considering all my alternatives! The 150-450 works with the 1,4TC so you have a decent (as far as I have seen) 225-675/F8 which is not so bad as it is longer and only 2/3 stops darker than the Sigma-Tamron super zooms. I don't know what happens with the AF performance though. If the 150-450 was cheaper I would not think twice about buying it . But if Pentax has a longer or brighter zoom in mind I won't be able to buy anything else in the future! Being an amateur is really hard to justify so big investments...

So the DFA 150-450 most probably will be my MAIN and ONLY zoom and I want to be sure that I have done the right thing when I give my money!
06-09-2015, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #1108
Veteran Member

I do quite a few airshows and the 50-500mm was my lens of choice but I also read that it isn't a true 500mm but around 450mm. (tbh 50mm is nothing at the long end anyway). I did try the new 150-600mm Sigma sport on my 7D but to be honest the IQ (IMO) was nowhere near as good as the 50-500mm on my K-5II (and K-3 before sold it) ... the sport was good if you could fill the frame but anything at distance pretty much turned to mush.

I don't think Pentax will be bringing out anything longer or brighter though.
06-09-2015, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #1109
Pentaxian

Hummm... i hope so, still , and if kenspo is correct it should happen.

Just to show you the "focal difference" btw Sigma EX 50-500 (first version) and Pentax 150-450 (below) at long end & full aperture - the object is at a distance of about 6 meters from me.
AF on the feeding ball.
Don't look too much at the shot quality/framing : handheld, poor light...

Bigma @ f/6.7 500mm

DFA @ f/5.6 450mm

Last edited by Zygonyx; 06-09-2015 at 12:16 PM.
06-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #1110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Sigma is no 500mm lens!
Closed Thread