Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #1486
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Does this sliding in and out of focus happen when the lens is set to auto?

And, what happens when you follow a moving object? Does the lens lose focus?

This sounds like a serious problem.

Cheers,
Loyd
It doesn't sound like a problem at all to me.
My autofocus lenses regain focus almost instantly when I point them at something; if it couldn't, the AF would have trouble following something in any case.

04-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #1487
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My switch only locks the lens in it's retracted position...... has this changed during the lens production life? (mines 5+ years old).
Is it retracted position only? Just checked, and indeed. As I said I only lock it when in storage. Somehow I had formed the idea that it did more than that... Time to start the week-end I think. My brain needs to rest...

Wim
04-23-2021, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #1488
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Is it retracted position only? Just checked, and indeed. As I said I only lock it when in storage. Somehow I had formed the idea that it did more than that... Time to start the week-end I think. My brain needs to rest...

Wim
Your brain needs to spend more time processing images that came through your viewfinder,
04-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #1489
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never had a problem with lens creep on my 150-450. I do not doubt that it could happen but the barrel was quite stable for me.

04-24-2021, 04:33 AM   #1490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I never had a problem with lens creep on my 150-450. I do not doubt that it could happen but the barrel was quite stable for me.
Indeed. Zooming my 150-450 takes more effort than my other errors. I actually find turning the zoom ring very difficult while handheld shooting and looking through the viewfinder. Not so when supported though.

The only times I had it 'creep' was when I had forgotten to lock the zoom and was taking it out of a tight bag.

Wim

04-28-2021, 04:31 AM   #1491
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This lens is still one of those I keep dreaming about but not sure at all I'd use it enough to justify it.

Are those found second hand at all? It's so good it seems ...
04-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #1492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
most firmware updates require you to download the update to an sd card, put the card in your camera and turn it on and it will usually see the update and install it.
OK. How do I check for reliable updates? Does this site offer downloads?

Cheers,
Loyd

04-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #1493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Notices of update available will appear on PF but you go directly to Ricoh Imaging for the updates.
04-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #1494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Mikesul.

Cheers,
Loyd
04-28-2021, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3-2+DFA150-450, handheld, native lighting LR+NIK

"Kool Bite"

Enjoy the season... M
04-28-2021, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #1496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FDA 150-450 lens thoughts

While I have not used this lens a lot, I am so happy that I got it. When I use it, it is absolutely superb. It feels like a star lens. No lens creep in my copy. If you use this lens on an APS-C body, like the K3 in whatever version, and the 1.4 teleconverter, you have a great lens for birding or similar. This is an excellent lens for taking photos of the moon, or for reading license plates off of vehicles hundreds of yards away.

Someone asked about downloading updates for cameras. I would recommend anyone to simply go to their local Ricoh website and look under "Downloads". Remember to only use a formatted SD card and copy the file onto the root directory of the SD card, not into any folder on the card. Instructions for downloading are available by scrolling down the Download page. Just copy and paste this information onto a Word document for ready reference. Your battery should be fully charged.

I find that I can use this lens handheld if I prop the lens or my shoulder into something like a tree trunk or some similar static object. I hope this helps a bit for those considering getting or using this lens.
04-28-2021, 08:03 PM - 6 Likes   #1497
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The DFA 150-450 has more resolution than my K3 can handle. I can't wait to try it with the K3iii. The image below is 1:1 of the pixels from the K3 with the lens at 450mm hand held.

White-throated Treecreeper
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 29-04-21 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
If you use this lens on an APS-C body, like the K3 in whatever version, and the 1.4 teleconverter, you have a great lens for birding or similar.
I have used the DFA 150-450 with the 1.4x TC but I find the combination hard to use hand-held, and the TC introduces a bit of softness. I have taken plenty of bird photos without the TC hand held. The equivalent focal length on the K3 is 675 mm which I find very usable.

Afternoon salad
04-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #1498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
While I have not used this lens a lot, I am so happy that I got it. When I use it, it is absolutely superb. It feels like a star lens. No lens creep in my copy. If you use this lens on an APS-C body, like the K3 in whatever version, and the 1.4 teleconverter, you have a great lens for birding or similar. This is an excellent lens for taking photos of the moon, or for reading license plates off of vehicles hundreds of yards away.

Someone asked about downloading updates for cameras. I would recommend anyone to simply go to their local Ricoh website and look under "Downloads". Remember to only use a formatted SD card and copy the file onto the root directory of the SD card, not into any folder on the card. Instructions for downloading are available by scrolling down the Download page. Just copy and paste this information onto a Word document for ready reference. Your battery should be fully charged.

I find that I can use this lens handheld if I prop the lens or my shoulder into something like a tree trunk or some similar static object. I hope this helps a bit for those considering getting or using this lens.
Thank you Yoda. I am awaiting the arrival of my lens. Your information on the 1.4 teleconverter is a bonus, since I already bought this converter to use with my 100 macro. Microlin2, your photo of an American Goldfinch reassures me that my money was well-spent!

Cheers,
Loyd

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The DFA 150-450 has more resolution than my K3 can handle. I can't wait to try it with the K3iii. The image below is 1:1 of the pixels from the K3 with the lens at 450mm hand held.

White-throated Treecreeper

---------- Post added 29-04-21 at 01:08 PM ----------

I have used the DFA 150-450 with the 1.4x TC but I find the combination hard to use hand-held, and the TC introduces a bit of softness. I have taken plenty of bird photos without the TC hand held. The equivalent focal length on the K3 is 675 mm which I find very usable.

Afternoon salad
Rob G you are a pillar of poise. How do you hold so steady?

Cheers,
Loyd
04-29-2021, 02:03 AM   #1499
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Rob G you are a pillar of poise. How do you hold so steady?
Honestly I'm not sure! For one thing, I only hold up the lens for the minimum time, because honestly I don't have a huge amount of upper body strength. I've also practiced breathing to try to minimise camera shake. Other than that, I can't really say, other than practice! I'm generally photographing birds and animals that just happen to be there as I walk around. I'm not staking out nests or favourite perches, and I certainly don't feed the birds to create a shot. I was not really impressed by a number of videos I've seen of photographers setting up a "natural looking" lump of wood with food hidden in it in order to create a fixed location to shoot. These guys were apparently pros, so it seems like it works for them.

Full disclosure - I did feed some birds to get photos back in the '80s on literally a handful of occasions but it's not something I've done for literally decades. I'd love to go back to Green Mountains in Lamington national park with my current gear to get photos of Regent Bowerbirds. I'm not even sure if they even allow people to feed the parrots there anymore, let alone Bowerbirds, because the birds had become aggressive and fearless.
04-29-2021, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #1500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wow! Now my savings account is threatened. I'm so tempted to buy this lens, but it seems like quite an investment when I probably mostly will use it to make snapshots of local birds and squirrels on our bird feeder
Closed Thread